PDA

View Full Version : How to make a multisession cd in disc utility

gtext
20th February 2008, 12:48 PM
Tried going through the instructions in help but can't get it to work.

When I go to "new image" in Disc Utility I select the file and go save.

It starts to save then come up with a message "unable to create filename.dmg. (resource busy)".

Am I doing something wrong or is there some other problem?

astr0b0y
20th February 2008, 01:02 PM
You need to create the disk image first (not create one from a file). Then you can mount the image, copy the file to it and burn without closing the disk. Lots of step huh?
It may be easier for you to create a 'Burn Folder" (In Finder, choose Edit -> New Burn Folder) and burn that without closing the session.

arkenstone
20th February 2008, 01:16 PM
Can I ask what you're using it for?

Just curious, with the cost of CDs these days it seems to be more effort than it's worth - i'm curious what people actually use multisession for.

gtext
20th February 2008, 01:33 PM
You need to create the disk image first (not create one from a file). Then you can mount the image, copy the file to it and burn without closing the disk. Lots of step huh?
It may be easier for you to create a 'Burn Folder" (In Finder, choose Edit -> New Burn Folder) and burn that without closing the session.

Ahh that's what I was doing wrong. Understand now. Thanks.

iPirate
20th February 2008, 01:45 PM

Just curious, with the cost of CDs these days it seems to be more effort than it's worth - i'm curious what people actually use multisession for.

I once multisessioned 4 game CDs onto one DVD so I wouldn't have to change discs during play. :cool:

gtext
20th February 2008, 01:51 PM

A number of reasons but mainly distributing large files to clients built up over 1 -2 weeks.
I use rewritable DVD's & CD's and drop them in on my visits and pick up the previous ones. Sometimes only one file and sometimes a full disc.
There are better ways I know like USB flash drives but disc's are cheap and things do go missing.

Hasn't been much effort in the past burning in Nero on the PC. Not sure now on the Mac.

Anyway It's worked well for me in the past, It's cheap, and no single burns to the landfill.

iPirate
20th February 2008, 01:56 PM
What about rewritables?

gtext
20th February 2008, 01:59 PM
I once multisessioned 4 game CDs onto one DVD so I wouldn't have to change discs during play. :cool:

While on that subject. I have a old but costly at the time program I'd like to run in Parallels.

Trouble is the program comes on nine 3.5 floppies. Is their a way to move those to a CD so the install works. I can use a PC to do this if I need to.

gtext
20th February 2008, 02:01 PM
What about rewritables?

That's what I use.

iPirate
20th February 2008, 02:09 PM
While on that subject. I have a old but costly at the time program I'd like to run in Parallels.

Trouble is the program comes on nine 3.5 floppies. Is their a way to move those to a CD so the install works. I can use a PC to do this if I need to.

Can you make images of those and mount the images as floppy images in Parallels? I believe some programs don't like being on CDs but don't mind being in virtual floppies... I think.

gtext
20th February 2008, 02:16 PM
Can you make images of those and mount the images as floppy images in Parallels? I believe some programs don't like being on CDs but don't mind being in virtual floppies... I think.

Good suggestion iPirate. I'll try that later. Thanks.