PDA

View Full Version : power adaptor overheating - ibook problem?

Charla
20th February 2008, 12:13 PM
My power adaptor for my G4 ibook has been overheating lately, so I borrowed a friend's while I found myself a new one.

Now I notice that hers is overheating too.

Could this have anything to do with either my ibook or my particular power supply does anyone know?

Thanks heaps -

Charla

ps - Anyone know if the the Hong Kong ebay power adaptors are any good? They don't look like the official apple ones, but an adaptor is an adaptor, right?

Brains
20th February 2008, 09:52 PM
If both power adaptors are heating up noticably, something inside the iBook is pulling a bit too much power for too long. They're meant to get warm during use, but they should never get too hot to touch.

The non-Apple ones are just as reliable as the Apple ones, they essentially use the same internals just in a different case. Most of the power supply boards used in these standalone power-pods that so many devices rely on these days all come two main factories in China anyway.

Is your iBook still charging correctly? How long does a charge last before it gives you the warning, roughly?

Charla
20th February 2008, 09:59 PM
Is your iBook still charging correctly? How long does a charge last before it gives you the warning, roughly?

Thanks Brains.

Yep, charging seems to work okay. I probably get about 3 hours (more or less) of battery life before it tells me to recharge. The adaptors do get hot though - hot hot - I wouldn't want my kids to touch them kinda hot.

I do have a new-ish battery, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

:)