PDA

View Full Version : Ibook HD dying - Creating firewire boot disk?

DrewX
18th February 2008, 08:18 PM
Continuing my luck with my macs of late i was performing maintanence on my fathers ibook i gave him only to be confronted by disk utility - SMART Status "Failing"...... Awesome!

Replacing the HD looks a little complicated and he only uses it for itunes and occasional internet so portability isn't required

I was going to proceed with the following plan and was hoping for the mactalk community to shoot holes in it if it is flawed.

1. Buy a cheap Western Digital Mybook with firewire (cheap because i am poor.....)

2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal HD it to that drive

3. Set the ibook in system prefs to boot off the firewire drive so when the system drive fails it doesnt matter.

Is there anything i am missing or have i just missed the whole thing and im kidding?

Also, given my current luck (lost an ipod HD too last wk!) is there a contingency plan if the internal HD fails before i can do the above? i.e can i use my system install disks to create a bootable disk from my macbook?

Many thanks

big-ray
18th February 2008, 08:39 PM
Just be wary that it will run like a dog.

Esp if running itunes.

Ray

g5agogo
18th February 2008, 09:16 PM
Run like a dog?

Really? It;s not a MyBook, but I find that my external FW case, with 7200 rpm 3.5 drive, runs at least as fast as my internal drive for my travelling iBook G4 800, and page out delays seem much improved if I boot from it - especially when running media from it.

YMMV

Mikey
18th February 2008, 09:51 PM
Your plan sounds good up to the point of booting permanently from the external drive. What if that drive fails? do all the above, and then get the hard drive changed, and clone the backup to the new drive. Backup weekly after that.

BTW, buy the new drive for the iBook from a cheapo shop and ask a mac tech to put it in. Mac shops normally charge about 3 times the going rate for hard drives, in my experience.

DrewX
18th February 2008, 10:44 PM
I need to get 2 firewire drives in order for audio recording so i was thinking that i would clone to a partition on one of my firewire drives just in case he ever needs a backup. He only updates his itunes maybe once a month and i think i will get him to burn the mp3s to CD so he wont have to reimport them if there is issues.

Even if i buy the drive cheap from msy i am still looking at $90 per hour labour and it didnt look like a quick job!

I figure this is going to cost me about $120 and the worst thing that could happen is it wont work to well and then ill just have a drive for backups and have to look at other options which i will prob just build him a PC box

Ray - why do you think it will run like a dog? I am a little concerned cos the mybooks don't have and oxford chipset so i may stretch a bit and get a sarotech case and HD