PDA

View Full Version : Learning Java

iSlayer
17th March 2005, 07:53 AM
Hi,
Im in the middle of developing a php based image gallery that my company will sell to clients.
i need a frontend uploader for it and i have more or less decided to use java for cross platform compatibility.

i have no java experience.my experience is with web based coding.
im going to be jumping straight into complex things.
the basic idea for the app is that it will let users select multiple images,perform validation on each one,create thumbnails,enter details into mysql database and then copy the original to the server via ftp.

im basically looking for good books or web tutorials on any of the above functions.

if you have any tips or comments let me know

Thanks

hawker
17th March 2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Mar 17 2005, 07:53 AM
Im in the middle of developing a php based image gallery that my company will sell to clients.
i need a frontend uploader for it and i have more or less decided to use java for cross platform compatibility.
Hmm I know a couple iSlayer, but for the moment the names escape me. I will dig around and see what I can find, hopefully post later.

How come you're using Java? Why not a modded PHP gallery? Be much easier would it not?

I'd say you have your reasons though ;)

iSlayer
17th March 2005, 08:13 AM
there is no way to upload multiple images without using java or a stand alone app.
javascript and php dont have access to the local users filesystem so they cant do batch uploads.
my current php solution is to have mutple file unputs on the upload form which works fine for now but it means if you want to upload say 100 pics it will take along time to select them one by one

i know im diving right into it trying to create something this complex with no java experience but its the only way to do it and im trying to get this product released as soon as i can.

the initial shipping version wont incluce the java frontend but it will be a vital part eventually(and a free upgrade :) )

on another note ill be looking for some beta testers for the php side in the next few weeks if all go's well

pipsqeek
17th March 2005, 09:29 AM
I have this java Book I only got to use at TAFE.

I don't do Java, or need the book anymore. PM me if you want to buy it.

It's a great book actually. I am not a programmer on any level. And I had code working. and I could understand it.

The book breaks the code down into the sections. and explains each section. Then at the end of each chapter, you get the entire code. Functions perfectly.

The link:
http://www.coursedirect.com/catalog/index....7&userregion=AU (http://www.coursedirect.com/catalog/index.cfm?action=product&isbn=0789568322&category=Programming&subcategory=Java%2FJ%2B%2B&cfid=6320502&cftoken=92144317&CFID=6320502&CFTOKEN=92144317&userregion=AU)

This link takes you to the 2nd edition. I have the 1st. They are about $80. I'll sell it for less, obviously. :)

pipsqeek :thumbup:

konni
17th March 2005, 10:19 AM
I'm curious about this app. Is this something that lets others view my image thumbnails online and then say purchase the full size image?
Is this a more efficient way of doing it than say via a Flash app?

iSlayer
17th March 2005, 10:26 AM
it could be like that.
for now its just a viewer.
you upload the images and you choose name,decription etc...
the script creates thumbnails and enters all the details about the images(names,width,height,description etc..) into a mysql database(xml storage will come in furture releases).

then you can view images and sort by album,date,size.......
it will have slideshow mode and it has smart albums already,books will come aswell,online ordering at some stage.
there is many more features but i wont list them all yet.

there is no reason i couldnt impliment what your after though.
send me a pm if your interested in something like that

its in mid developement and im happy to give a demo to anyone who wants to see it in the next week or 2 once i get more features going.

beamso
18th March 2005, 06:39 PM
This is a free book that is pretty good. I have the printed copy somewhere:

Thinking in Java (http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/).

Also, check out Sun's Java Tutorial (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/).

iSlayer
18th March 2005, 06:58 PM
thanks dude.

konni
19th March 2005, 09:51 AM
there is no reason i couldnt impliment what your after though.
send me a pm if your interested in something like that

thanks for the thought Islayer. I'm not there yet. I was mostly trying to understand your initial description of the app... what first popped in my mind was image protection. Lately I've been thinking about more secure ways to display an image of reasonable size (online) without making it available to copy - hence thinking about Flash.

So maybe I've misunderstood something... do you mean upload the thumnails or the original images, or is this a tool for sorting and cataloging images that are stored online?

If I sound ignorant - I am. Lately I've been teaching a subject out of my niche - Digital Arts Industry - general knowledge on the major sectors of industry including what new and emerging technologies are around. I'm totally cramming at the moment, and discovering that while I've been tucked up in my own little niche the world is passing by. Just hanging out in Apple Talk these last few weeks has been an eye opener.