PDA

View Full Version : Getting A MacBook Pro or iMac

MacRobbo
17th February 2008, 06:47 AM
Hello. I am trying to decide between a MBP or iMac. I have heard that the iMac has certain screen issues, (gradients, lcd bleedthroughs) but they are rare. Has anyone who has an iMac had any thing like this? What about on the 24" iMac?

Also i have heard about many problems with the MacBook Pro but I was wondering if they have been fixed? (electrical shocks, battery buckling)

lazydesi
17th February 2008, 07:09 AM
problems wil be every where

so get the machine you are after and apple care will take care of that machine for next 3 years (if you choose apple care for 3 years).

wonderful service by apple

themessup
17th February 2008, 07:28 AM
I'm getting the MacBook Pro. It's won me over the iMac. Just because I want something portable.

And as lazydesi said, everything will have little bugs and issues. So don't listen to the tiny little problems people complain about, get Apple Care and purchase what you want. :)

MacRobbo
17th February 2008, 08:02 AM
ok thanks.

TheWatchman
17th February 2008, 08:07 AM
If you decide macbook pro you might be best waiting a week or two, supposedly a new model is coming out. Nothing new for imacs planned though

themessup
17th February 2008, 08:13 AM
New MBP?

Dante Kyar
17th February 2008, 08:25 AM
yeah its been on the cards for a while. if you can, i guess wait two weeks or so. Although wih that mentality you could be waiting quite a while

lazydesi
17th February 2008, 08:39 AM
New MBP?

yep new model is coming out this Tuesday (as rumoured)

themessup
17th February 2008, 08:44 AM
ooo well I plan to get a MacBook Pro by the end of the year so i'll get the new one. Anyone know what the stats are. Pictures? News? Links?

TheWatchman
17th February 2008, 09:36 AM
Well, its been rumoured to come out every tuesday since macworld (predicted each wednesday). It's either this tuesday or at the event. We shall wait and see eh?

cosmichobo
17th February 2008, 09:43 AM
Robbo,

If you need to take your computer with you, then get the MacBook Pro. If not, don't.

Recent studies have linked back and neck strain with people using laptops as desktop computers. Unless you really are going to use it on the go, you'll just be paying a pointless premium...

I am not up to date with these machines (and their known potential problems), but if is something that shows up immediately, then even without AppleCare, Apple should still take care of it for you.

When I bought my eMac, there was a history of problems in the eMac range, but I experienced none of them. (Instead I experienced a whole new problem 18 months later, but Apple took care of it as it was a manufacture fault)

At the end of the day, you're best off buying what suits your needs, and not worrying about what may go wrong until it does. You only hear big stories about the bad things because good stories don't make for an interesting read.

dev_enter
17th February 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm with cosmichobo. Only get the MBP if you need a portable.
Otherwise, an iMac is cheaper and the AppleCare is also more affordable.