PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Discover Appletalk?

Disko
15th January 2004, 03:56 PM
Tell us your story about how you stumbled across AppleTalk.

(i know, we've invited a fair few of you, but there are still a couple of strangers)

Secoa
16th January 2004, 06:37 AM
I posted a thread on the Mac Whirpool forum about favourite Mac sites and Disko pointed me to here. As a relatively new Mac user (ie. less than 12 moths) it is good to find a community to discuss issues/problems/interests around the Mac. [my wife thinks I am slightly crazy as "its only a computer" but she hasn't seen the light yet.] :)

the_argon
16th January 2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Jan 15 2004, 04:26 PM
Tell us your story about how you stumbled across AppleTalk.
You told me :P

Byrd
16th January 2004, 10:15 AM
OCAU here :)

Surprisingly there are a few pro-Mac users on there - along with 40,000 PC users - but it's easily the best forum out there.

JB

Anjom
16th January 2004, 10:41 AM
Through aus.computers.mac and I shall pass this site onto others. ;)

macropus
16th January 2004, 12:39 PM
Found you at aus.computers.mac also.

slowly
17th January 2004, 10:14 AM
aus.computers.mac also.

jameso
17th January 2004, 10:36 AM
the whirlpool post. go whirlpool. go mac. go australia. go us!!!!

jameso

Disko
17th January 2004, 06:42 PM
... well, i was looking through my powerbook's hardrive one day, and noticed a folder called "AppleTalk", and it had all these ideas, and content for a site... in there, there was a url to http://www.appletalkaustralia.com... that's how i found this place. :D

/sarcasm

decryption
17th January 2004, 07:46 PM
I was kidnapped by Disko and he forced me at gun point to help him make some lame website about some lame computers named after a fruit, or something. I mean.. what's with those stupid colours, geez.

kaisersozay
23rd January 2004, 01:46 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc
comp.sys.mac.misc
One of the above. Do not remember which.

madamimadam
23rd January 2004, 02:20 PM
Clicked the link under your name in Whirlpool

markove
23rd January 2004, 02:24 PM
I followed a link on disko's sig.

Disko
23rd January 2004, 02:24 PM
Hey, markove. Good to see another ocau'er here. :)

Shawry
23rd January 2004, 02:50 PM
OCAU. recieved a nice little PM inviting me to check this place out :)

trotkiller
23rd January 2004, 05:44 PM
I am not sure how I ended up here...... :huh:

probably followed a link in the OCAU forums

cmetom
23rd January 2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Shawry@Jan 23 2004, 03:50 PM
OCAU. recieved a nice little PM inviting me to check this place out :)
I too received a request to dine at the Grand Summoners' table of fruity-computer goodness.

Byrd
23rd January 2004, 08:09 PM
So if you see anyone on OCAU that shows any inclination towards Apple, give 'em a PM ;)

JB

Excession
23rd January 2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by the_argon@Jan 16 2004, 09:26 AM

mbd
23rd January 2004, 11:31 PM
While surfing the rumour sites to try and find out if/when the completely silent G5 cube would be released for the 20th anniversary of the Mac, I saw a post on www.macosrumors.com mentioning the site - glad that it hasn't been around too long, as I was amazed at first that the place existed and I didn't know about it!

Cool to have an australian forum for mac users :-).

decryption
23rd January 2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Jan 24 2004, 12:31 AM
While surfing the rumour sites to try and find out if/when the completely silent G5 cube would be released for the 20th anniversary of the Mac, I saw a post on www.macosrumors.com mentioning the site - glad that it hasn't been around too long, as I was amazed at first that the place existed and I didn't know about it!

Cool to have an australian forum for mac users :-).
Hey RocketFactory, your website is listed on the Apple dealer list.
Do you work for them or something mate?

Disko
24th January 2004, 12:04 AM
where was that post at? Do you have a link? I can't find it. :)

mbd
24th January 2004, 12:19 AM
My apologies, it was at spymac....

http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.ph...&c=1#post863679 (http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=58567&c=1#post863679)

Nick_the_Beast
24th January 2004, 12:20 AM
Spymac! someone mentioned you on there.... good to see the word getting out, this should become a favourite hangout of mine in the months to come!

Yay, 1st post :)

Disko
24th January 2004, 12:24 AM
Aaah yes... spymac. The greatest mac site in the world - and now with version 3, the most bloated and incomplete. :P

I used to love it, but i'm not too sure about v3 yet. When it works (or at least has a basic search function) it'll be great. :D

mbd
24th January 2004, 12:32 AM
Yeah, spymac's not a regular target for my browser anymore... I generally stick to www.macrumors.com and occasionally to www.appleinsider.com...

Disko
24th January 2004, 12:38 AM
that's freaky - exactly the same habit here. macrumors and appleinsider for me as well. Hopefully, people will use AppleTalk for their news soon. :)

Silent
24th January 2004, 08:32 AM
Hmmmm well.....you came on KDX and said...."hey i want to make a site" and i was like "cool" and yeah. That was like 5 months ago...and this place does rather nicely...well done Disko and all others involved.
PS :So we ever gonna have our KDX Aussie Server ;).

Disko
24th January 2004, 11:49 AM
As soon as i get DSL. :P

beebjunk
21st February 2004, 04:57 PM
http://www.tandb.com.au/buying/

LCGuy
21st February 2004, 05:14 PM
I followed bYrd's thread on the 68kMLA to here. :D

Currawong
21st February 2004, 05:18 PM
I found this site in aus.computers.mac. I was tempted to hang out a bit in SpyMac, but I think it's a great site for teenage master-debaters - not my thing ;)

Craigglez
21st February 2004, 10:21 PM
I found my way here from the OCAU forums, I think I followed a link posted in a thread somewhere in Site Discussion. :)

MightyAtom
22nd February 2004, 03:50 PM
I either found a link on OCAU, Whirlpool, Spymac or possibly somewhere else entirely. I'm not really sure it was days ago and I'm not good with the long term recall thing.

Rest assured I didn't find it using my own powers of deduction, however I did lose the link and located it again with the aid of some thinking music.

mhollis
23rd February 2004, 12:57 AM
I followed a link pointing to your experiment on how to flash a ROM on a pee cee ATI graphics card for a Macintosh and found the site. Been here ever since.

Disko
23rd February 2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by mhollis@Feb 23 2004, 01:27 AM
I followed a link pointing to your experiment on how to flash a ROM on a pee cee ATI graphics card for a Macintosh and found the site. Been here ever since.
Yes, thanks mhollis and thanks for joining AppleTalkAU. I've been reading your posts, and they are very helpful. Its appreciated. :)

stevejay
23rd February 2004, 07:01 AM
aus.computers.mac and I have to say, this is a becoming a better source of info than that NG

MrChameleon
23rd February 2004, 10:00 AM
elvis' sig on OCAU in "Other Operating Systems" forum.

Xenex
23rd February 2004, 07:32 PM
MacBytes (http://www.macbytes.com/) linked to your Radeon flash article (http://www.appletalkaustralia.com/articles/7000flash.html) a few days ago. I wouldn't know about the site, otherwise.

Shame there's no RSS feeds though; I really don't check sites manually much anymore. NetNewsWire is like some kind of little god...

Cory5412
23rd February 2004, 11:10 PM
I also followed bYrd's link from the MLA, He said "for you aussues" but I'm a rather outriggerish kid, living in arizona, so I decided that this was the place for me (sorta) and so I came. :)

(and now for my use of the word "vernacular")

The vernacular of Australians on a forum dedicated to people using Macs in Australia was not quite as "australian" as I had thought it would be.

decryption
24th February 2004, 11:33 AM
Bloody hell, aren't we Aussie enough for ya mate?
You yanks wouldn't know an Aussie if it hit ya on the arse.
Right-o, it's time to watch some footy and drink some tinnies while dingoes steal my baby.

Aussie enough for you Cory5412? :P

Disko
24th February 2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Feb 24 2004, 12:03 PM
Right-o, it's time to watch some footy and drink some tinnies while dingoes steal my baby.

You forgot to say "Crikey!"

kim jong il
24th February 2004, 04:42 PM
EDIT: g'day cobbers

whirlpool and then because admin replied to an enquiry.

cheers, kim

Byrd
24th February 2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 24 2004, 11:39 AM
You forgot to say "Crikey!"
Fair Dinkum he bloody well did too - get yer act together cobber! :)

vort
24th February 2004, 10:17 PM
Fo sho meh fellow homies!

:P

Oh wait.. Australia. Right.. whoops :P

/me rides off on kangaroo

Oooer.. limited edition mac from apple.com.au.. Complete with dingo skin :o

:P
--

Bah..

Nar i was told by disko :D

PeterPE
9th March 2004, 04:19 PM
There was a link in a message thread on Whirlpool. Only lobbed today when I spotted it.

This's the first well-designed Oz Mac forum I have found. There is that Mac topic at Whirlpool I keep an eye on.

The one Oz forum I have used since the year dot is the members-only one at clubmac.org.au. :D

Disko
9th March 2004, 04:31 PM
Welcome peter.

It's good to see new members - especially clubmac members. :)

pipsqeek
9th March 2004, 04:44 PM
Once upon a time....huhmm.

I seriously can't remember when, where and how I joined. But I am glad I did. :blink:

Emoticon shows my exact expression

Steve

LCGuy
9th March 2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Feb 24 2004, 11:33 AM

HAR! :D (don't worry...inside joke from the 68kMLA)

elvis
11th March 2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Jan 17 2004, 07:46 PM
I was kidnapped by Disko and he forced me at gun point to help him make some lame website about some lame computers named after a fruit, or something. I mean.. what's with those stupid colours, geez.
I too was kidnapped. There's me, just walking along minding my own business. Next thing you know I get bashed over the head and stuffed into a large sack.

When I awoke, there I was with my little iMac (currently living in a sea of PCs *ptu*) pointing to this site, and that crazy Disko dude asking me what I thought. Being a bit groggy from the whole experience I had no choice but to join the forums and participate.

But seriously, it's about time there was a good forum like this, and it's especially cool that it's Australian. All we need now is some juicy sponsorship from Apple AU and a few dozen free Powerbooks up for grabs, and I'm a happy man! :)

LCGuy
11th March 2004, 01:05 PM
Free PowerBooks.....mmmmmm............................. *drools*

PeterPE
11th March 2004, 02:33 PM
Without a goodly number of participants, a BBS can't prosper. So we need to spread the word.

The Message Board at ClubMac, a Sydney-based non-public club BBS with a members-only PDF newsletter, and meeting monthly, has now been told about AppleTalk. I hope a decent number of ClubMaccists get on the ball. I had long been hoping that ClubMac.org would open its BBS to the public with a modern board such as AppleTalk's but it never happened. Probably couldn't happen due to lack of IT talent, inclination, and finance. Not that John A, our SYSOP, hasn't been a tireless worker. Tremendous effort, John!

By God, I've been looking for, and hoping for, someone to start a web BBS for Australian Maccers and it's finally happened. I must wish the very best to Decryption and Disko for the continued success of this venture. Thanks Lads.

Ya know, I participate in a number of Yankee boards and I'm increasingly getting very peeved with Americans and their rather peculiar attitudes. For starters, the World is definitely there to be exploited and controlled by Uncle Sam for the benefit of Americans, whilst no-one else matters. I got booted for tearing strips off some of their correspondents for their arrogance and tunnel vision. Good riddance to them, sez I.

Edit: Oooer! I forgot. Some of our American friends use these forums. I must have just met up with a few bad apples on the forums of which I spoke. I need to be a bit more tactful. Sorry fellas.

Ciao... :D :rolleyes: B)