PDA

View Full Version : broadband access

cris
16th February 2008, 07:49 PM
Hi, the other half just came home with a new iMac, but we can't connect to the internet with it. The plan's with optus adsl, and they informed us they couldn't support mac. Any ideas on this?

captain fantasy
16th February 2008, 07:54 PM
That what they tell you, but I'm with Optusnet ADSL and they supplied a Siemens Modem with instructions for Mac, so there's no problem.

Just follow the instructions.

decryption
16th February 2008, 07:54 PM
You need to plug your iMac into the modem, or plug the modem into a switch and then plug your computers into it.

If the modem is USB, you're outta luck and need to buy a new one that will let you share the internet.

LarryH
16th February 2008, 07:55 PM
If your modem has ethernet output, you can plug it in with ethernet as far as I know. You don't need to plug in the USB.

My modem which is about 5 years old has USB and Ethernet.

milliedog
16th February 2008, 07:55 PM
Hi, the other half just came home with a new iMac, but we can't connect to the internet with it. The plan's with optus adsl, and they informed us they couldn't support mac. Any ideas on this?

That's just plain old bunkum.

Get a real ethernet / wireless router (not USB), put in a few settings & you're done.

captain fantasy
16th February 2008, 07:57 PM
I'm using a no-name brand of router form Jaycar, connected vis ethernet...no probs.

meinrosebud
16th February 2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah, officially Optus do not support Mac but I have set it up to be shared on a router many times.

cris
16th February 2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the help, guys! Certainly quicker than optus, and more helpful! We'll try them one at time

thorevenge
16th February 2008, 08:51 PM
Actually they do officially support Mac OS X, and apparently OS 9 for dialup - can't find that damn quote though...

milliedog
16th February 2008, 09:12 PM
Actually they do officially support Mac OS X, and apparently OS 9 for dialup - can't find that damn quote though...

http://www.optuszoo.com.au/help/dsl/connected/mac/modemosx

SyncMan
17th February 2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah, officially Optus do not support Mac

That's such a LOL considering their pro Mac history.

Todays near equivalent would be for Internode in a few years to say they don't support Mac.

LarryH
17th February 2008, 08:24 AM
Their "Unplugged Broadband" supports it because in the ad the person is using a mac!

Or is that the 3 Ad?

Am I thinking of the dancing animals?

macgrrl
17th February 2008, 08:47 AM
Ive been with optdud for 3 years and have had a mac for 2.5. they support it, but dont really like to advertise it as not everyone is trained yet.
It really should be plug and play if you have the right kind of modem. Or the right cords.