PDA

View Full Version : Excel Guru's Help Needed

Rasta
14th February 2008, 07:17 PM
Seeking some help from you Excel (or whatever else you could recommend I use) guru's out there.

Here is my situation:

I have a trial exam that I have done that I want to plot my answers in one column, then the correct answers in the next column, and the third column I want either 1 for a correct answer or 0 for an incorrect answer so I can sum it at the end.

The exam is multi-choice with five answers A, B, C, D, or E.

Ideally I'd like to enter the data as letters, and the correct answers as letters (as I want to be able to manipulate it a little and take out some questions or see what happens if an alternative 'correct' answer is used.

Is there any way to do this easily? I basically need a formula for the marking column of something like

'if A1 = B1 then C1 = 1';'if A1 not = B1 then C1 = 0'

but don't know how to do it - does anyone out there know?

Does that make sense and can anyone understand what I'm trying to do?

Evad
14th February 2008, 07:24 PM
Rasta,

sounds like you might need an if, then function.

try something like this..

=if(A1=B1,1,0)

Don't have excel on this machine so working from memory, but you can find the syntax in the Excel help.

Edit: bear in mind this is usually case sensitive too, so 'a' in column 1 and 'A' in column 2 will not return 1 in column 3 cause they are not equal.

Ken S
14th February 2008, 07:25 PM
Assuming
Col A has your answer
Col B has the answer
in col C enter the following
=IF(A1=B1,1,0)

this will give a 1 if correct, 0 if wrong

Ken S
14th February 2008, 07:25 PM
I guess I need to learn to type quicker to beat evad :-)

Evad
14th February 2008, 07:28 PM
LOL @ Ken S... I type so slow too..

just luck of the draw. least someone else posting the same answer confirms my memory is also intact. :)

Rasta
14th February 2008, 07:29 PM
Excellent.. you guys are choice! :)

Evad
14th February 2008, 07:31 PM
Your Welcome..

*in best Zoidberg accent* Look at me, I'm helping... This is the greatest day of my life. ;)

richbowen
15th February 2008, 05:41 AM
The exam is multi-choice with five answers A, B, C, D, or E.

You could also use Excel: Data > Validation > Settings > "Allow List" to ensure that only A-E can be entered in your answer column.