PDA

View Full Version : Log out when other users logged in, bug?

gallet
14th February 2008, 05:26 PM
I suppose this must be a bug as it has persisted over different computers and fresh installs. I though it would be solved with 10.5.2 but apparently not.

If there are two users logged in, I cannot shut down the computer without getting a message saying that other users are logged on and they will lose any unsaved changes. I then need to enter an admin name and password.

However it always returns an 'incorrect username' dialog box.

tempestas
14th February 2008, 06:24 PM
Are you using you short or full username (assuming you have admin rights)?

If you are using the short, try it with the long

kim jong il
14th February 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm trying to work out what is going on but am struggling a bit. I can't believe it is a bug as I cannot replicate the issue you are having (I'm using 10.4.11 with an administrator and two other user accounts without admin' privileges).

Regardless of the account being used, when more than one user is logged in it gives the "other users..." and "unsaved changes may be lost..." warning when shutting down and asks for an administrator name and password. The difference between you and I is that my computer accepts the the admin name and password and shuts down e.g.:

"kimjongil"
"password"

Now we just have to work out what is happening with you.

EDIT: worked with both the long and short admin' user names.

tempestas
14th February 2008, 06:56 PM
I wonder if it is something corrupted in the NetInfo users/groups. I know when i partitioned a drive under Panther yonks ago I ended up with weird admin/privileges issues that I eventually sorted out in NetInfo.

Not sure where to go on this from here.

gallet
14th February 2008, 07:17 PM
Kim Jong, it never happened with Tiger. It started happening as soon as I put Leopard into my emac, (both of them) however I have since got rid of the emacs and I'm using g5 imacs now. It is occuring on both imacs.

If there is a user already logged on with open stuff and I'm in another admin account I cannot shut the computer down without going back and closing down the other account.

If I try entering an admin name and password I just get the invalid password message. This is happening on both machines and also was happening on my previous emacs.

This is a clean install as well.

Can someone with Leopard confirm this?

gallet
15th February 2008, 01:08 PM
UPDATE. Solved. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307123)

Instead of clicking the 'restart' button, use the 'enter' key instead. Weird. It's amazing that a documented bug is not fixed in a 400mb major update.