PDA

View Full Version : User Account Picture

aeon
13th February 2008, 11:16 PM
Hi All, can anyone tell me where the picture for my user account is stored - I'm guessing it's hidden away in a package somewhere, but I've got no idea where to look, and it's hard to do a good google search for it.

sighclops
14th February 2008, 04:14 AM
hi mate

u'll find it in Finder -> Macintosh HD -> Library -> User Pictures

then they're sorted into folders (plants, animals etc)

MacDave
14th February 2008, 06:44 AM
hi mate

u'll find it in Finder -> Macintosh HD -> Library -> User Pictures

then they're sorted into folders (plants, animals etc)

I'd just like to correct your terminology, if I may as we're on a UNIX based operating system, not everybody's boot drive is named "Macintosh HD" (though that is default) and it doesn't matter if your foreground application is Finder or, say, Safari loading MTAU.

The location is:
/Library/User\ Pictures

This is commonly written /Library/User Pictures as well.

The / is the root of the hard drive. The backspace \ is used to fill spaces between words in directory (and file) names and subsequent forward slashes are the continuing path to directories (folders) within directories.

Hence, in Terminal, if you cd (change directory) to the those folders, it looks like so:

[c-24-23-183-156:~] dave% cd /Library/User\ Pictures
[c-24-23-183-156:/Library/User Pictures] dave% ls
. .. .DS_Store Animals Flowers Fun Nature Sports

Sorry for the nitpicking, but if instructions are given consistently (and correctly,) ultimately it makes things a lot easier to follow. It's also shorter!

Dave

Lilith
14th February 2008, 10:04 AM
In the User Pictures folder there might be a folder called "Users". If not then just create it. Now put your images in here. I use TIFFs. Best if they are 48 x 48 pixels.

aeon
14th February 2008, 10:39 PM
Hi folks, thanks for the reply, but let me rephrase.

When I turned my machine on for the first time ever, Mac OS X took a picture of me to use as the account profile pic with the iSight. I'm trying to find where on earth this picture is stored.

The Library/User Pictures folder contains others that I can choose from, but not the currently set picture.

thorevenge
14th February 2008, 10:44 PM
/Applications/System Preferences.

Then go to Accounts and you can set your picture from there.

dev_enter
14th February 2008, 10:50 PM
~/Library/Images/iChat Recent Pictures/

aeon
15th February 2008, 09:20 PM
/Applications/System Preferences.

Then go to Accounts and you can set your picture from there.

Yes I realise that, I'm trying to find where the picture that is currently set, is stored on my machine. (You can see it from the Account's control panel, but you can't actually get the full sized image).

~/Library/Images/iChat Recent Pictures/

I don't have that directory, nor have I used iChat!

Anyon else? :)

dev_enter
15th February 2008, 09:23 PM
Strange, I went into my preferences, created a picture and that's where it ended up... On Leopard anyway.

What are you using?

aeon
15th February 2008, 09:52 PM
I'm using Leopard, although when I first got this machine it was running 10.4.

I found this over on the macrumors forums, but it doesn't apply to Leopard as the utility is no longer part of 10.5:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4308471

dev_enter
15th February 2008, 10:00 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=366522 ?

aeon
15th February 2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah saw that as well, didn't help either. Ended up working it out after reading about dscl, but it's only the small image, not the original sized image that I was hoping for:

Command Line:
dscl
ls
cd Local (or whatever)
ls
cd Default (or whatever)
ls
cd Users
ls
cd YourAccountName
read

then it shows the following:

Picture: /Library/Caches/com.apple.user501pictureCache.tiff

And there it is - though it's not the original image, just the small picture you see in your account details.