PDA

View Full Version : Removing iLife '08 - How?

decryption
13th February 2008, 11:30 AM
I've got iLife '08 installed on my MacBook Air, which is taking up space and I don't need it. How do I remove it without wiping the drive and OS X? Is there an uninstaller package?

thorevenge
13th February 2008, 11:31 AM
Manually is the only way.

AppZapper?

Silver
13th February 2008, 11:58 AM
I reinstalled MacOS X to do this because Remote Disk is cool. (Also removes language translators).

Edit: The place to look for additional files is /Library/ particularly Application Support, if you want to do it manually.

lazydesi
13th February 2008, 11:59 AM
try appdelete

decryption
13th February 2008, 12:00 PM
I reinstalled MacOS X to do this because Remote Disk is cool. (Also removes language translators).

Edit: The place to look for additional files is /Library/ particularly Application Support, if you want to do it manually.

Yeah, I think I might need to do this...

Huy
13th February 2008, 12:24 PM
I've always just done it manually. Trashing whatever I don't need.

mac_man_luke
13th February 2008, 12:34 PM
AppZapper?

otherwise most of the ilife stuff is in:
/Applications/
/Library/Application Support/
/Users/~/Library/Application Support/

silverdreamer
13th February 2008, 12:39 PM
AppZapper?

otherwise most of the ilife stuff is in:
/Applications/
/Library/Application Support/
/Users/~/Library/Application Support/

Check in Library> preferences as well. could be a file there if you have opened the application at all.

Edit: just a point. You won't be removing ilife '08 as such, but rather the individual Applicaions that are contained within.
So you will need to remove Application support folders for each, as well as preferences etc, but you probably know that. eh?:p

Aladdin
13th February 2008, 01:59 PM
I've got iLife '08 installed on my MacBook Air, which is taking up space and I don't need it. How do I remove it without wiping the drive and OS X? Is there an uninstaller package?

How much HDD space does the default install occupy?

And how much extra space is liberated by not installing iLife?

I'm curious coz I'm planning on getting a MBA with SSD.

Ta.

decryption
13th February 2008, 02:09 PM
How much HDD space does the default install occupy?

And how much extra space is liberated by not installing iLife?

I'm curious coz I'm planning on getting a MBA with SSD.

Ta.

The default copy installs a lot of crud like all the languges (2GB), all the printer drivers (3.5GB) and iLife (about 2GB), which is a fair bit on an 80GB drive (10%) even more on the 64GB flash drive.

bartron
13th February 2008, 02:11 PM
If you haven't set it up already why not just re-install OS X and leave out all the crud you don't want. Easier than trying to figure out what to delete.

edit: yes I read the first post....I think a wipe and re-install is easier though

decryption
13th February 2008, 02:18 PM
If you haven't set it up already why not just re-install OS X and leave out all the crud you don't want. Easier than trying to figure out what to delete.

edit: yes I read the first post....I think a wipe and re-install is easier though

I have already set stuff up - I thought there'd be a package to uninstall. But it looks like there ain't so I'll just wipe it and reconfigure it all again.

Venom71
13th February 2008, 02:32 PM
There is a utility to remove all languages, printer drivers and keyboard maps that I use after a fresh install. I leave only the US/Aussie/UK English versions in all my applications.

It got back for me about 3.5GB from a fresh install of OS X, iLife and iWork.

It does the entire hard drive. Its called Monolingual (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7758/monolingual) ... and its free.

Cheers
MacP

konni
16th September 2008, 12:11 PM
Is there an option during install for custom install? I only want to load Keynote. If not, I guess I just follow the steps above to delete the stuff I don't need.

thorevenge
16th September 2008, 12:30 PM
It's called customize and yes you can customise what bundled apps you want only.

Currawong
16th September 2008, 03:08 PM
If you've got Garageband on there, it installs a few GB of instruments in /Library/Application Support.

konni
16th September 2008, 03:13 PM
thanks thorevenge. It didn't show up as an option. Never mind I'll take the other apps for a test run before I make up my mind.