PDA

View Full Version : Undoing updates

gtext
13th February 2008, 10:15 AM
Is there any way in Leopard to undo updates and roll back leopard to before updates were installed.

Much like system restore in Windows.

Seems to be issues in this latest 10.5.2 update that would make it better to install another time.

gtext
13th February 2008, 10:29 AM
Is there any way in Leopard to undo updates and roll back leopard to before updates were installed.

Much like system restore in Windows.

Seems to be issues in this latest 10.5.2 update that would make it better to install another time.

New to the Mac so excuse me if this is a common question.

I saw somewhere a while ago about "resets" that sometimes need to be done after updates.

Anything worth trying?

Sound gone from Parallels and mail after the latest updates.

The word PRAM mean anything? That's about all I remember.

jeremy_warnock
13th February 2008, 10:31 AM
no easy way, once its installed its there.

The best way is to format you machine and do a fresh install.

I wouldnt worry about the 10.5.2 issue to much, just means if there are serious we may see 10.5.3 sooner as a bug fix

gtext
13th February 2008, 10:44 AM
I'll leave for now as their not major issues. Just annoying.

On a new Mac Pro one week old I don't need silly things like this.

Just noticed the volume control is stuck and can't be moved also.

Seems to be sound related issues with this update.

halledise
13th February 2008, 10:56 AM
I'll leave for now as their not major issues. Just annoying.

On a new Mac Pro one week old I don't need silly things like this.

Just noticed the volume control is stuck and can't be moved also.

Seems to be sound related issues with this update.

nothing as extreme as was suggested (format and reinstall! - my goodness)

simply save the 10.5.2 combo update to a flash drive or whatever,
then insert your dvd that came with the machine,

next, restart upon it's prompting and select 'clean install, preserving user & network settings' (under 'options')

in the next window, select 'customize' and Deselect everything except 'base system' (up the top of the pane)

next, allow the clean install to run its course - 20 mins should pull it up - you can elect to skip the 'checking dvd for consistency' step to speed things up a bit.

finally upon restart, run the combo update from flash drive or disc that you saved it to (to save downloading all over, though of course you may prefer the software update way)

lastly run Software Update and allow it to install whatever it wishes. upon that restart you should have a MacPro that flies.

Leopard from the outset has worked flawlessly for me - the only probs I had was my lack of understanding of it!.

both Leopard.1 and now Leopard.2 have not presented me with any probs at all and each successive update have only made the machines I run it on go betterrer.
(2x MacBooks and 1x PPC PowerBook)

to do the above is well worth the effort b4 pulling hair out.

I've even discovered workarounds for non-supported printers.

let us know how you fare. ;)

jeremy_warnock
13th February 2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks halledise for the knowhow

Ill remember that before next opening my gob ;-)

gtext
13th February 2008, 11:19 AM
nothing as extreme as was suggested (format and reinstall! - my goodness)

simply save the 10.5.2 combo update to a flash drive or whatever,
then insert your dvd that came with the machine,

next, restart upon it's prompting and select 'clean install, preserving user & network settings' (under 'options')

in the next window, select 'customize' and Deselect everything except 'base system' (up the top of the pane)

next, allow the clean install to run its course - 20 mins should pull it up - you can elect to skip the 'checking dvd for consistency' step to speed things up a bit.

finally upon restart, run the combo update from flash drive or disc that you saved it to (to save downloading all over, though of course you may prefer the software update way)

lastly run Software Update and allow it to install whatever it wishes. upon that restart you should have a MacPro that flies.

Leopard from the outset has worked flawlessly for me - the only probs I had was my lack of understanding of it!.

both Leopard.1 and now Leopard.2 have not presented me with any probs at all and each successive update have only made the machines I run it on go betterrer.
(2x MacBooks and 1x PPC PowerBook)

to do the above is well worth the effort b4 pulling hair out.

I've even discovered workarounds for non-supported printers.

let us know how you fare. ;)

Thanks for that advice I'll try that later today when I have time.

Currawong
13th February 2008, 01:34 PM
Do the problems happen if you're logged in as another user?

gtext
13th February 2008, 03:58 PM
Do the problems happen if you're logged in as another user?

Thanks Currawong for that advice.

Doesn't seem to be the same problems in a new account.

New to Mac's so still learning.

I worked out how to create another administrator account and logged in.

Set up a mail account and tried. The sending and receiving sound worked.

The volume control worked also worked.

I wasn't able to open Windows in Parallels as it just wanted me to install an operating system.

I think if I could have opened Windows in Parallels that would have worked too. If there is a way I don't know how.

What do I do now? What's the next step?

gtext
14th February 2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks Currawong for that advice.

Doesn't seem to be the same problems in a new account.

New to Mac's so still learning.

I worked out how to create another administrator account and logged in.

Set up a mail account and tried. The sending and receiving sound worked.

The volume control worked also worked.

I wasn't able to open Windows in Parallels as it just wanted me to install an operating system.

I think if I could have opened Windows in Parallels that would have worked too. If there is a way I don't know how.

What do I do now? What's the next step?

Currawong. Any further advice you can give me regarding this problem?

Is it possible to "repair" the current account?

Seems like you were on the right track.

Do I follow halledise advice here?

PM sent

Currawong
14th February 2008, 11:31 PM
I'd go into your home folder and Library -> Preferences and try removing preferences for the broken apps. Logout and in and see if that fixes the problem. Some programs also store stuff in the Library in Application Support and Caches. Anything in Caches can be deleted.

It's process of elimination here, but that should get you going.

gtext
15th February 2008, 11:36 PM
I'd go into your home folder and Library -> Preferences and try removing preferences for the broken apps. Logout and in and see if that fixes the problem. Some programs also store stuff in the Library in Application Support and Caches. Anything in Caches can be deleted.

It's process of elimination here, but that should get you going.

I'd like to say trying that helped but it didn't

Removing the preferences files for mail did nothing apart fro loosing access to mail. Replacing mail preferences back thankfully allowed access to mail again.

Removing the preferences files for Parallels did nothing either.

Don't even know where to start looking for a way to restore trash sounds and stuck volume control.

Not happy about the damage done to a new computer running perfectly by an update and looking at the possibility of day's of work starting from scratch again.

Thanks for your assistance so far. Wish the results could have been better.