PDA

View Full Version : Hell has Frozen Over-2 Button Mouse

iSlayer
16th March 2005, 01:02 PM
appleinsider is reporting that apple is developing a 2 button wireless mouse.
the report came from a reliable source.

"Apple enthusiasts have longed for an Apple-branded two-button mouse for over a decade, but their requests have gone unanswered. So what has changed? According to sources, 'it's the company.""

Goodbye
16th March 2005, 01:18 PM
Noooooo!!!!

iSlayer
16th March 2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Goodbye@Mar 16 2005, 02:18 PM
Noooooo!!!!
Yeeeeeeeeeesssss :)

im very excited about this report.
my apple mouse is the 1 peice of apple hardware i dont particuly like.

a 2 button mouse would be excellent and if its bluetooth and under $100 it will be very good value

Disko
16th March 2005, 01:25 PM
They've been rumoring that since before OSX was released.

A 2 button mouse was rumored to be released with the OSX beta in 2000... and it's been on the cards ever since.

*takes handful of salt*

TorranceTM
16th March 2005, 01:45 PM
I am sure these have been asked before (please choose little rocks for the noob).

1) Why does apple only have a single button mouse?
2) Is it possible to use a two button mouse - does the second button make any sense as in windows (context sensitive)?
3) Is it possible to use scroll wheels?

iSlayer
16th March 2005, 01:46 PM
1-no idea.its always been like that
2-yes.works the same as in windows
3-yes

Chr1s
16th March 2005, 01:47 PM
I just use an MS optical USB mouse, if I ever need to use one. I can't live without my scroll thingy.

konni
16th March 2005, 02:00 PM
I've never used a wireless mouse. The wire breaks very quickly on Apple's laser mouse and the cheap substitutes I buy (definately with 2 buttons and scroll wheel) have this problem where the pointer jumps from one side of the screen to the other so I hope this new one is going to behave like a mouse wearing lead-wheel roller skates.

Disko
16th March 2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by TorranceTM@Mar 16 2005, 02:15 PM
I am sure these have been asked before (please choose little rocks for the noob).

2) Is it possible to use a two button mouse - does the second button make any sense as in windows (context sensitive)?
The single mouse button is there to encourage software developers to be thoughtful in the user interface design on mac software. (so they don't hide all the features in context menus)

You can plug in most mouses to OSX and they work fine. Right now i'm using a Logitech MX-1000 which has 10 "buttons" (it has side scroll). OSX also has right click menus, as you can see in the image.

http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/images/contextmenut.jpg

Have a read of decryption's mac myths (http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=348) article. :)

arty
16th March 2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by TorranceTM@Mar 16 2005, 01:45 PM
You have only needed a 1 button mouse with any Mac OS.

Holding the mouse button down (in the finder) or pressing the control key while clicking the mouse (in the finder or applications) will bring up any context sensitive menus.

A scroll wheel mouse will work with a Mac, as will many multi-button mice for example a *shock* MS scroll wheel mouse with 5 buttons will work as MS provide a driver allowing you to allocate actions to the extra buttons. A standard 2 button mouse will be left and right click, a multi buton mouse as an example might have left & right click as well as next and previous page for a web browser.

codeman
16th March 2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Mar 16 2005, 02:06 PM
The single mouse button is there to encourage software developers to be thoughtful in the user interface design on mac software. (so they don't hide all the features in context menus)

You can plug in most mouses to OSX and they work fine. Right now i'm using a Logitech MX-1000 which has 10 "buttons" (it has side scroll). OSX also has right click menus, as you can see in the image.
How do you like the MX1000?

I have one and it's a damn fine rat (even though I use less than half of it's multitude of buttons...)

Does OS X use the back/forward buttons etc. on it's own or do you need to install drivers for them?

Disko
16th March 2005, 02:34 PM
I love it. :)

The Drivers that come with it let you customise the function of each button. :)

Though - if you don't like logitech software, you can install USB Overdrive, which does the same thing.

Phillip
16th March 2005, 03:54 PM
What about the scroll wheel? Cause thats what people will complain about next. And then there's the issue of the hundreds of stupid buttons PC keyboards build on (for 'internet' and 'multimedia').

I will believe it when I see it and when Think Secret can confirm it. As far as I can see, I think the AI is illogical - the Mac mini doesn't even come with mouse, so why are people demanding a better Apple mouse?

geektechnu
16th March 2005, 04:43 PM
So I have permission to complain about scrollwheels (or lack of) now?

I have an iBook 800 - I don't use a mouse on it, so you can understand how frustrating it is to try and get the mouse pointer to quickly land on the scrollbar.

I'm using SideTrack now and it's very good :)
- Scroll by moving finger up/down side of trackpad (of course)
- Expose & Show desktop on top-right & bottom-left trackpad corner taps
- AND right-click on bottom-right trackpad corner tap.

Which bring me back to the 2-button mouse.
I suppose it would make accessing context menus a tiny bit faster. I don't mind, as long as they can make it as good-looking as everything else.

BTW: If you can't afford the Logitech MX1000, check out the MX700. They're starting to get quite affordable.

Goodbye
17th March 2005, 12:21 AM
As long as they give you the option of either a single button or multi-button mouse, I'll be happy. I have never got into the whole 'two button mouse' thing. I find them uncomfortable and not necessary (for what I do), and, I'm sure, for what a lot of other "non-serious" computer users do.

If the two button mouse comes as standard, I can see a lot of confused grandparents etc. "Which button do I use again?"

Long Live the Single Button Mouse!!!!!!!

smithster
17th March 2005, 01:06 AM
Don't tell me mates but I use a M$ cordless k/board and 2 button and scroll optic wireless mouse, and couldn't live wiv out 'em! the extra Buttons on the keyboard are handy, volume, mute, my music my documents etc (they all pick up the OSX {better!}versions) and the best is the calculator! I had cause to use it today whilst mobile and had to think where it was!

Hobart
17th March 2005, 01:17 AM
that would suck if mac STOPPED making the single button mouse but if the do make a dual button mouse i think that they would still make a single button mouse but i always thought of it as sort of a trademark of appel that allows it to keep its symplistic style but knowing applt they would make it very styleish.

but this brings up another point. would they change the PB and iBks "mice" too?
i hope not

icant
17th March 2005, 01:40 AM
I would love to have the option of a single button mouse. It is the only mouse I would EVER give my parents. The scroll wheel and 2nd button confuses my mum.

And Apple has 100% marketshare of single button mice! Hope it doesn't give it up. :)

iluvmymactoo
17th March 2005, 05:51 AM
:rolleyes: Come on now people... time to give up those traditionalist beliefs and move onto to the 21st Century :P

If Apple do come up with such a mouse, I'll but it :D

mjankor
17th March 2005, 07:51 AM
But I like my single button mouse. I like my MX 1000 too.

Apple mouse for my Powerbook.

MX1000 for my G5.

montfort
17th March 2005, 10:53 AM
i wonder if this will lead to a change of the buttons on the touchpads of the laptops....

LCGuy
17th March 2005, 11:49 AM
Hope not. While i love using my 2 + scroll mouse on my iMac, for some reason i prefer a one-button trackpad on a PowerBook.

Gothikon
17th March 2005, 08:56 PM
I could live with a one button mouse, if it had a scroll wheel! However I currently use a Logitech Dual Optical, great mouse, about to relegate it to use with my laptop at work though by purchasing an MX 1000 for home use.

entropy
17th March 2005, 09:14 PM
So how are these for scenarios:

#1 Apple have one button mouses with consumer desktops, two button mouses in power macs

#2 all desktop macs sold without a keyboard or mouse, you pay extra for the mouse and keyboard you want. Intitially the price of the desktop falls to make up for it. But in the long run.... how would you know it was still discounted?

Can anyone say improved margins?

pipsqeek
17th March 2005, 09:30 PM
The Mac has been running fine all these years with the single button.

Some things just shouldn't change.

On the other hand. I use a trackball that has 4 customisable buttons, and I can do combos with the buttons for other tasks. It also has a scroll ring that goes around the ball.

pipsqeeek

gmask1
17th March 2005, 10:32 PM
Going to the Mac, I decided to leave behind the luxuries of the multi-button rodent, and give the single button bar of soap a go. All in all, I think I've adjusted rather well. However... bring on a two button mouse, I say!

king89
18th March 2005, 06:59 AM
I think Apple should keep the one button mouse idea, as I think it makes things easier and faster to use. From a powerbook perspective, I love the fact that I can access every thing by the keyboard easily, except expose which requires a combination of keys that are so small and far apart.

Now i just use the spacebar for a large scroll down, and the arrow keys for smaller increments in scrolling.

p996911turbo
20th March 2005, 01:09 AM
Why not satisfy both sides? Have two buttons and a scrollwheel on one end and turn it around for a one button end. :P

suryo
20th March 2005, 06:23 AM
I think Apple should keep the one button mouse as standard and offer an upgrade to a two, three or whatever button mouse. A multi-button mouse is certainly more convenient for an experienced user, but keeping the one-button mice in circulation will tend to force better interface design. The one-button mouse is also less intimidating for a new user (no, not a switcher, a new user) and is much better in terms of accessibility.

So I say keep the one-button mouse. If Apple want to offer a two-button mouse to meet consumer demand then that's great and I'm sure it will be really nice, but keep the one button mouse as a core element in the Mac imperative.

harryb2448
20th March 2005, 06:49 AM
Wash your mouth out Goodbye!

As a +65 year older I have used two button mice for many years and never need to ask what button to use.

Maybe we Mac users can imitate the dinosaur and never consider changing to new environments and technology.

Personally I prefer the A4 Tech cordless mice, and the current model battery free model is superb - fast and super responsive with great scroll control.

Harry :thumbup: