PDA

View Full Version : Aperture 2.0

Kuma
13th February 2008, 12:53 AM
Late last night Apple released Aperture 2.0

and with that they slashed the price from $449 to $268

It also included over 100 improvements. I guess our hard core photographers can discuss in more detail.
http://img.skitch.com/20080212-eeaik4yt7qftd24rfn2re6ycym.jpg

Keving
13th February 2008, 02:37 AM
Probably was not selling.. at that price, I'd be tempted to get a copy though..

Jaali
13th February 2008, 02:55 AM
They need to compete with Lightroom - price is a good start, but it's not going to get your hard-core photographers who are willing to pay money for great equipment/software

new2mac
13th February 2008, 05:52 AM
Oh yeah I'm getting the upgrade. Just in time for my B'day too.

I must admit i feel like i paid through the nose for Aperture 1 which really was a beta version until 1.5.
However, Aperture does rock. And Aperture 2 is looking mighty fine :D

Looks like they had to wait until 10.5.2 until the release.

On my wish list pending real life trial:

improved preformance (no more slow slow crunching)
reduced noise in RAW conversions
cleaner interface
faster thumbnail scrolling
books
full iLife integration

and more. o if you believe the hype, I'm about to get really happy!
Ordering now. Hopefully to have by the weekend.

Aaron
13th February 2008, 06:26 AM
Very cheap, is it a big improvement from 1.5?
Cheers

gilligan911
13th February 2008, 06:32 AM
Good move by Apple to slash the price - it is cheap enough now to tempt "enthusiastic" amateurs and give Apple a bigger market to sell to.

Wonder if they fixed Nikon RAW support?

RGSX12
13th February 2008, 06:37 AM
If they did fix Nikon RAW support then that is tempting..

Arkhum_Eramak
13th February 2008, 06:45 AM
Did anyone notice that G4 PowerBooks are now supported??!?!!?

Looks like they are trying to broaden the market - I guess Lightroom isn't the only way to go anymore!

jeremy_warnock
13th February 2008, 07:08 AM
Did anyone notice that G4 PowerBooks are now supported??!?!!?

Looks like they are trying to broaden the market - I guess Lightroom isn't the only way to go anymore!

G4 powerbooks were supported before you just need 1 gig of ram

Dubhousing
13th February 2008, 07:24 AM
If they've fixed the speed bottleneck issues then I'm up for an upgrade. It's potentially a great product that Apple have mistargeted at high volume shooting professionals rather than all serrious photographers. Looks like they have got the message now.

mac_man_luke
13th February 2008, 08:23 AM
Iv had a play with it, seams faster but dont have my full library in the trial

I cant see how anyone could like lightroom, its set out so strangely

new2mac
13th February 2008, 08:42 AM
I'm ordering now, so i'll post a first impressions review as soon as i get it (prob this weekend)

Jaali
13th February 2008, 08:45 AM
How well does Aperture link in with Photoshop?

Thats the main reason that I'm keen on Lightroom rather than Aperture.

When is Apple going to release an Apple version of Photoshop?

mac_man_luke
13th February 2008, 08:54 AM
links very well

right click on an image -> open in external editor

then when you save it in photoshop it updates in aperture instantly

yinyang
13th February 2008, 09:09 AM
ordered my upgrade - looking forward to some play time!!

just hope it's faster on my G4 PowerBook than it currently is.

new2mac
13th February 2008, 09:34 AM
it's seamless with PS.
The main advantage of LR is the ACR rendering engine. It is superior to Aperture 1.5.
We'll see if 2.0 changes that. I hope so :)

bartron
13th February 2008, 09:42 AM
it's seamless with PS.
The main advantage of LR is the ACR rendering engine. It is superior to Aperture 1.5.
We'll see if 2.0 changes that. I hope so :)

the ACR rendering engine seems to get a bit 'grainy' for my liking. My benchmark is Capture 1. If Aperture/Lightroom ever allow third party RAW converters......

Aperture 2 looks really good. Will have to check it out and see if it is any better that 1.5 (which is slow and clunky IMHO)

yinyang
13th February 2008, 09:48 AM
a first impressions (http://speirs.org/2008/02/12/aperture-2-first-impressions/) says that Aperture 2.0 now includes lens metadata, and is supposed to be much faster

Phase
13th February 2008, 09:50 AM
No chromatic aberration independent tool, no curves.

NO curves

are you freaking kidding me?

Aperture is now firmly planted in the 'advanced amateur / semi pro' market.

The speed increase is nice, I guess, but with modern systems, this is hardly even an after thought.

Shame too, I was wanting to look at it, but light room remains on top.

No curves hahaha

new2mac
13th February 2008, 09:54 AM
estimated shipping date 20/2/08

Thats kind of crap. Fingers crossed it'll be here sooner than that :(

Kuma
13th February 2008, 10:04 AM
estimated shipping date 20/2/08

Thats kind of crap. Fingers crossed it'll be here sooner than that :(
:rolleyes:
Why don't you d/l the trial.. play for 30 days.. and then buy it when it is released?

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

yinyang
13th February 2008, 10:14 AM
NO curves

even in PS i prefer using levels to curves, though sometimes both. however I'm pleased to see that they've put in Vignetting now, though have to see how good it is!!

and apparently Time Machine and Aperture now play nicely together...

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/12/aperture-and-time-machine-happy-at-last/

mac_man_luke
13th February 2008, 10:32 AM
No chromatic aberration independent tool, no curves.

NO curves

Aperture is now firmly planted in the 'advanced amateur / semi pro' market.

The speed increase is nice, I guess, but with modern systems, this is hardly even an after thought.

Shame too, I was wanting to look at it, but light room remains on top.

No curves hahaha

If i need curves i just open the image in photoshop, easy :)

decryption
13th February 2008, 10:35 AM
the ACR rendering engine seems to get a bit 'grainy' for my liking. My benchmark is Capture 1. If Aperture/Lightroom ever allow third party RAW converters......

Aperture 2 looks really good. Will have to check it out and see if it is any better that 1.5 (which is slow and clunky IMHO)

CaptureOne is my favourite too - I get really nice output from that, but not so much from Aperture. I just need to combine Capture One an Aperture, hmm :p

applecollector
13th February 2008, 11:13 AM
ordered my upgrade - looking forward to some play time!!

just hope it's faster on my G4 PowerBook than it currently is.

I read it doesn't work on the G4!? It requires a Dual 2Ghz G5 or higher.

sorry cancel that.

<LI class=list-head>One of the following Mac computers:
Mac Pro
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
MacBook
Mac mini with an Intel Core Solo or Duo processor
iMac with a 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor
Power Mac G5 with a 1.6GHz or faster PowerPC G5 processor
15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor<LI class=list-head>Memory requirements:
1GB of RAM
2GB of RAM required for Mac Pro
One of the following graphics cards:
ATI Radeon X600 Pro, X600 XT, X800 XT Mac Edition, X850 XT, X1600, X1900 XT, 9800 XT, 9800 Pro, 9700 Pro, 9600, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, 9650, HD 2400 XT, HD 2600 PRO, or HD 2600 XT
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, 6600, 6600 LE, 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL, 7300 GT, 7800 GT, 8600M GT, or 8800 GT
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 or Quadro FX 5600
Intel GMA 950
Intel GMA X3100

mac_man_luke
13th February 2008, 11:16 AM
One of the following Mac computers:
Mac Pro
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
MacBook
Mac mini with an Intel Core Solo or Duo processor
iMac with a 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor
Power Mac G5 with a 1.6GHz or faster PowerPC G5 processor
15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor

jeremy_warnock
13th February 2008, 11:29 AM
Just ordered mine.

Now I can go back to shooting RAW with the D300

also downloaded the trail cant wait to play - it looks really a nice update

rickyd
13th February 2008, 05:25 PM
Is anyone else having trouble "registering" for the tour in Sydney?

themessup
13th February 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm deffinately gonna get Aperture. I'm only 13 but I really want to be a Photographer

Kempokidd
13th February 2008, 06:35 PM
wow so many updates from apple lately !!! Just downloaded the trial and playing with it, looks good so far.

jeremy_warnock
13th February 2008, 06:47 PM
For those who would like abit more of a look at Aperture 2.0 give me a private msg.

why? I dont get it - its free trail what can you give them a free trail cant??

Im very happy camper now the D300 raw is supported, the feedback I left yesterday after the 10.5.2 which didnt fix aperutre and D300 raw must of had the aperture team up all night working on the update for me :rolleyes:

http://img.skitch.com/20080213-tnekcwf9e99ukhxg5mfmc377y5.jpg

moth
13th February 2008, 08:40 PM
Speed is greatly improved in the new version. 1.5 ran like a dog on my DP PM G5 with 2.5gb ram so I didn't even bother with it - I went straight to lightroom. Now it is quite comparable speed wise. And I'm liking the new price!

For some reason though I still feel more comfortable colour correcting in photoshop. Im not sure why, just how I've been educated I suppose.

BLINDER
13th February 2008, 08:51 PM
Reading through the comments I still get the impression a lot of people don't "get" aperture and what it does and how capable it is - maybe that's a fault of the software?!
I've been using it since about April and really do enjoy it - some of the features they've incorporated will really make this thing live for me.
It's a massively capable organizational tool which is very user friendly - almost foolproof (almost - i've had a couple of incidents).
Looking forward to using tethered shooting.
Like the look of vignettes and the better highlight recovery control that's in there now.
I'll def be looking to make up large books. Shame I can't go third party (IS THERE A WAY??). Just read this in one of the 100 + New features (Custom page sizes
Create books with pages of any size for books you intend to produce yourself, either as PDFs or printed on your own printer. Specify custom page sizes — 10-inch square, for example — in the Book Layout Editor.)
Looks like the healing/ cloning might be better but I need a more in-depth look @ that first. 1.5 was fairly horrendous for that IMO.
The workspace is even better than before - and the workspace was already world class. Lightroom doesn't come near it from this point!

Pooyan
13th February 2008, 09:01 PM
I'm tempted to download the trial and give it a go, but I find applications that leave crud all over your system, even after you remove it, really annoying. (Yes, I know they shouldn't do that, but a few do.) Anyone know how Aperture behaves in this regard?

I'm keen to see how well DxO (which I already use) and Aperture (which fills a slightly different role) complement each other.

grfxninja
13th February 2008, 09:08 PM
Reading through the comments I still get the impression a lot of people don't "get" aperture and what it does and how capable it is

Yeah, I'd be one of those, but I don't think it is the softwares fault, just my lack of understanding that is the problem :)

mac_man_luke
13th February 2008, 09:19 PM
i read that it is supposed to show the lens in the meta data, any idea where i can see this? im using a canon 400d

bartron
13th February 2008, 09:20 PM
I have to agree with the comments made here
http://blog.jontehero.com/2008/02/aperture-20-review-what-apple-did-wrong.html

I think the lack of global preset saving and lack of preset viewing (like I can do in lightroom) is a big miss.
Photo book printing isn't such a big deal. There are plenty of third party options in a whole host of sizes but the integrated book builder is really handy....but would be a whole lot better if you could change the page dimentions.

Web galleries is a big miss....Lightroom web galleries rock.

It's still slow (for me....but then I don't have a Mac Pro)....about 2-3 times slower to react than lightroom.

I 'get' what aperture is about but I think this release needs more polish. I 'get' lightroom a whole lot better. There is just so much more you can do without resorting to photoshop.

I like the price...but I think it's becoming more like iPhoto Pro

BLINDER
14th February 2008, 09:55 AM
....but would be a whole lot better if you could change the page dimentions.

I 'get' what aperture is about but I think this release needs more polish. I 'get' lightroom a whole lot better. There is just so much more you can do without resorting to photoshop.

I like the price...but I think it's becoming more like iPhoto Pro

Check 100 features page here (http://www.apple.com/aperture/features/100.html) and look at the custom book layout feature - you can do custom page sizing. Fantastic news!
Undoubtedly it still needs more polish but remember we're only two years (24-months or so) into this new category of product. It won't be the be all that we want it to be for a bit longer. We're too readily critical I think. Wait a bit longer and it'll start taking over from several other programmes. Maybe Apple will even start buying up other companies filters etc so that it does become very much an all-in-one!
iPhotoPro? I don't see that as being a bad thing (maybe you don't either). It's an easy application to understand (that good old Apple philosophy that made me switch 5 years ago). At least it is Pro and they're thinking about a great swathe of the Apple Pro audience. Many, many, many more of us have digital still cameras than DV/ HDV etc! Pro photography is a massive market now with fairly deep pockets overall.
Apple can put some more thought into this product - give us Ap 3 that may be the killer app.
On so many levels I'm not complaining w/ v2 though! They've addressed many of my criticisms.

Hamsmyth
14th February 2008, 10:12 AM
I can't believe there is no curves.

jeremy_warnock
14th February 2008, 10:17 AM
I love the new interface and speed, even witha heavly gpu app like aperture version2 runs so much better then 1.5 did on my macbook

leon
14th February 2008, 10:33 AM
Downloaded the trial yesterday and have been mucking around with it on my iMac. I really like the freedom that you have with the photo books vs. iPhoto. What I would like to know, is whether or not books made in Aperture are uploaded to Apple with a higher DPI than iPhoto, or if they are the same? 300DPI from iPhoto doesn't cut the mustard for me.

mac_man_luke
14th February 2008, 10:38 AM
not really any point sending it higher than 300DPI as the press that it is printed on would not be able to reproduce anything higher any better

Phase
14th February 2008, 10:43 AM
I can't believe there is no curves.

Agreed

That's the whole point of workflow software, so you don't have to use Photoshop on a large scale.

The thing that bugs me the most is it's like dumbed down light room. Aperture is the Final cut express of the imaging world. Which hey, thats cool I guess, but to market it at the professional audience might be a tad misguided.

The only thing imo that Aperture holds against light room is its interface, which from several sources will change very, very soon.

When Light room 2 launches this year, I think the debate will be done.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/941

bartron
14th February 2008, 10:43 AM
Lack of curves doesn't bother me as there is a lot that can be done with levels.

I'll have to wait until I'm back home to check out the custom book making thing....

The thing that really gets me though is the lack of global presets and preset preview. By that I mean I open a photo and make a bunch of changes....add/remove vignette, a bit of levels, convert yo black and white...I would like to be able to save all I did with a one click preset. Yes you can save individual settings but it doesn't work as well.

When previewing images I do a quick run through of various styles that I have set up. If/when one jumps out at me I apply it and tweak from there. To do the same in aperture would require 5 or 6 setting changes and after all that it might not look good so I have to undo them all and start over.

Maybe I'm jsut too used to the lightroom way of doing things which to me seems more natural. I just wish the ACR engine was better or replaceable

ACR is good...it just doesn't scale well to handle large adjustments and makes things all grainy.....sometimes it's a good look but sometimes not

example
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2039/2148057747_eccef6ebee.jpg

yinyang
14th February 2008, 10:57 AM
The thing that really gets me though is the lack of global presets and preset preview. By that I mean I open a photo and make a bunch of changes....add/remove vignette, a bit of levels, convert yo black and white...I would like to be able to save all I did with a one click preset. Yes you can save individual settings but it doesn't work as well.

When previewing images I do a quick run through of various styles that I have set up. If/when one jumps out at me I apply it and tweak from there. To do the same in aperture would require 5 or 6 setting changes and after all that it might not look good so I have to undo them all and start over.

if you make any adjustments and want to apply all of them other images, isn't that what the lift and stamp is for (shift-command-c and shift-command-v), though if would be good to able to save those "wholesale" adjustments as a global preset. Not sure if an applescript could help here - don't know enough about applescripts or automator still!

bartron
14th February 2008, 05:55 PM
It's a bit of a hack but

1) Adjust image
2) Hit O for the Lift & Stamp tool
3) Lift the settings from the photo and simple apply that to the rest of the images in the set
4) Option+drag the first Adjusted Image to a new Project called PRESETS.

There should be a better way though.

xfodder
14th February 2008, 06:04 PM
how big is the trial download?

bartron
14th February 2008, 06:10 PM
how big is the trial download?

77.2mb

pgseye
14th February 2008, 07:55 PM
Guys,

I've been using iView Media Pro for library management, mainly because I've got my own folder structure and I don't like the way iPhoto uses it's own.

Can Aperture be used as a management tool while leaving your photos exactly where they are on your hard drive?

If so, I might trial it.

jeremy_warnock
14th February 2008, 08:48 PM
Yes yu can link to files or import them

Mark T
14th February 2008, 09:54 PM
If you have purchased Aperture since 1 January, you are eligible (for a limited time) to a $12.95 upgrade (http://www.apple.com/au/aperture/upgrade/).

This may lessen the shock of the drastic price drop!

jeremy_warnock
18th February 2008, 07:20 PM
Just got my shipment notification, Should have v2 tomorrow all going well

luke_in_tas
18th February 2008, 07:40 PM

Me too :)

But I haven't finished my Aperture 1.5 Pro Training book yet :(

IndigoReef
18th February 2008, 07:49 PM
I bought an Aperture 1.5 Pro training book 24th January and have only just started it.
I have put in a call to Apple to see if they will give an upgrade just like those who bought the software, waiting to hear.
Will keep you posted.

digger1914
19th February 2008, 06:33 AM

Me too. Should be there when I get home tonight :)

new2mac
19th February 2008, 06:39 AM
Me too, fingers crossed i'll get it today.

Anybody know what the best steps to upgrading will be to protect your libraries?
I have a mix of referenced and managed. All with back ups but you can't be too careful with your images.

jeremy_warnock
19th February 2008, 10:42 AM
Just had mine handed to me - blast Im at work and not a mac in sight.

new2mac - when you install aperture will upgrade your library, once the library has been upgraded there is no going back to 1.5., And the library must be upgraded to work with aperture 2

digger1914
20th February 2008, 02:29 PM
My ugrade went well, no problems at all. It seemed to spend a deal of time copying demo files that never arrived .. but I did not wnat them anyway.

My v1.5 library copied over with no dramas at all

IndigoReef
23rd February 2008, 09:21 AM
Anyone ordered the upgrade on-line through the Apple Store?
I ordered it last night and although I have been billed for it and it is listed as "Electronically Delivered" I cannot find the serial number anywhere.
I have not as yet received an e-mail from Apple confirming it as sent. Any ideas?
Of course Apple 133 622 were closed and tech support couldn't do anything.

gallet
23rd February 2008, 11:03 PM
Why is there no user manual for Aperture 2 ?

kyte
23rd February 2008, 11:20 PM
Maybe I'm jsut too used to the lightroom way of doing things which to me seems more natural.

I find Lightroom a lot more intuitive to use than Aperture. And I was not particularly used to either of them, having been an iphoto-photoshop person until very recently.

Aperture 2 is a bit faster than 1.5 but still much slower than lightroom when handling the same number of images. And I like the lightroom layout better too.

Oh well, can't be an apple fan for every darned thing.

locus
23rd February 2008, 11:27 PM
I find the aperture workflow to be superior to lightroom. The "modules" in LR give me the shits. I also prefer the interface in aperture - 2.0 rocks.

jeremy_warnock
23rd February 2008, 11:45 PM
Why is there no user manual for Aperture 2 ?

The user manual is on the install disc

dotnet
24th February 2008, 01:47 AM
Anyone ordered the upgrade on-line through the Apple Store?
I ordered it last night and although I have been billed for it and it is listed as "Electronically Delivered" I cannot find the serial number anywhere.
I have not as yet received an e-mail from Apple confirming it as sent. Any ideas?
Of course Apple 133 622 were closed and tech support couldn't do anything.

I ordered my upgrade key on Saturday, 16-Feb, got an order confirmation the following Monday and an e-invoice on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I called 133 622 and was asked to send copies of the emails I received, and told they'd take care of it. Friday afternoon I called again to cancel my order (what's the point in going for electronic delivery for the same price as a box if it isn't instantaneous?). After waiting on hold for a while they "found" my registration key and mailed to me. Very poor show, Apple Store!

Cheers
Steffen.

gallet
24th February 2008, 08:15 AM
The user manual is on the install disc

Oh that's annoying. How are we supposed to trial it without a manual? Is there some other way of getting hold of the manual?

luke_in_tas
24th February 2008, 08:25 AM
I haven't downloaded the trial as I bought the upgrade, but I'd guess the manual downloads with the trial. To see it (if this is the case), open Aperture, select the Help menu and then "Aperture User Manual".

If you do no good there, you might want to have a look here: http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/. You'll find plenty of tutorials on how to use Aperture 2.

gallet
24th February 2008, 08:38 AM
OK, I found it on apple's website, can't see how I missed it before. http://www.apple.com/support/aperture/

Lutze
26th February 2008, 10:29 AM
Aperture World Tour:

Details can be found here (http://www.apple.com/aperture/tour/?sr=hotnews)

The long and short of it is... Sydney on the 31st of March is when / where they hit these shores.

digger1914
26th February 2008, 02:48 PM
Sydney booked out? Doesn't come up as an available date on the site!

Lutze
26th February 2008, 02:51 PM
I wonder if the population in Sydney are descended from Scots? Something free offered and it's gone real quick!

bartron
26th February 2008, 03:00 PM
I find the aperture workflow to be superior to lightroom. The "modules" in LR give me the shits. I also prefer the interface in aperture - 2.0 rocks.

curious as to what annoys you about lightroom (not starting an aperture vs lightroom argument....genuinely curious)

The modules to me a great.
Library -> where your photos are
Develop -> self explanatory
Slideshow -> ditto
Print -> um...ditto
Web -> for making web sites from your photos (slideshow pro and lightbox plugins are awesome)

The other thing about modules is that they are modular meaning if ever Adobe release an SDK it is trivial to add an extra module (this has been a development goal of the shadowland project from the start so hopefully they do)

I like the aperture 2.0 interface as well (especially for making books) but IMHO Adobe has 1-upped Apple in the usability stakes here.

Applecider
27th February 2008, 12:36 PM
I am using the 30 day trial of Aperture at the moment and everytime i open the application and play with it, i find something new.

I will have no hesitation in buying a full version soon. I did have concerns that it wouldn't work too well with my Macbook but it's fine, so very happy.:)

mac_man_luke
27th February 2008, 01:21 PM
after using aperture 2 for over a week now im very happy with its performance

Does not get bogged down like 1.5 did, still no speed demon on my macbook but integrated graphics are to blame for that

zmit
27th February 2008, 01:41 PM
exactly my analysis and conclusion as well.

i still like the program though

new2mac
27th February 2008, 02:36 PM
I concur - really nice to use now:)

Aladdin
27th February 2008, 08:50 PM
I am using the 30 day trial of Aperture at the moment and everytime i open the application and play with it, i find something new.

I will have no hesitation in buying a full version soon. I did have concerns that it wouldn't work too well with my Macbook but it's fine, so very happy.:)

Applecider, what specs does your MacBook have? In particular, how much RAM? (as I've read that Aperture works much better with plenty of RAM).

Rodney9
1st March 2008, 08:22 PM
Aperture 2 will not work at all on my two and a half year old Mac :(

Leopard and iLife '08 work, why not Aperture 2 ?

Lutze
1st March 2008, 09:45 PM

Aperture 2 is not exactly happy on my C2D Macbook, it works... but beach balls when I'm editing a series of pictures. To expect it to play well on something much lower powered is a big ask I think

luke_in_tas
2nd March 2008, 06:23 AM

I see from your signature you have a G4 Mac mini. Although there is nothing wrong with your machine, you have to remember that the mini is Apple's lowest spec'd consumer machine and Aperture is one of Apple's professional applications, like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro, all of which require a significant amount of power (while iLife '08 apps are consumer applications).

With the pro applications being primarily targeted at people who will make money from using them, Apple expect this target audience will be prepared to pay for higher spec'd machines (apart from the fact the applications actually require more processing power).

So, the issue really isn't the age of your computer—as many other Macs of the same vintage are capable of running Aperture—it's that you are trying to run a high-requirement application on a low-spec machine.

Plus, even if Aperture weren't blocked from running on your machine because it didn't meet the minimum system requirements (http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/), you would probably find it unusable as Apple's recommended computer configurations are much higher:

Mac computer with a 2.0GHz or faster Intel Core Duo processor or dual 2.0GHz or faster PowerPC G5 processors
2GB of RAM

zmit
4th March 2008, 11:34 PM
can i just saw that im really enjoying the new version of aperture. the update just came out (2.0.1) i urge everyone to get it. i noticed the difference almost immediately. it loads pictures quicker, full screen navigating is much quicker and it just seems much more responsive

yinyang
8th March 2008, 01:27 PM
just got Aperture 2 yesterday, and on my G4 Powerbook, its speed has improved, and i can make use of my D300 RAWs now.

i'm pretty happy...until i get an MBP that is!!

Rodney9
8th March 2008, 02:42 PM
just got Aperture 2 yesterday, and on my G4 Powerbook, its speed has improved, and i can make use of my D300 RAWs now.

i'm pretty happy...until i get an MBP that is!!

Your lucky, the 2 gig memory must make the difference, it will not run on my G4 with it's maximum 1 gig.

leon
8th March 2008, 03:06 PM
Rodney I think you are lucky that you machine is able to handle Leopard, but running a Pro-app such as Aperture is really asking too much.
I just upgraded my iMac C2E 2.8GHz to 4GB of RAM this morning and Aperture 2 absolutely zings along. This was not the case when I had only 2GB of RAM. It wasn't totally useless with 2GB, but it was holding me back. Currently Aperture is using 2.2GB of RAM on my machine with a Project of 3000 pictures open.

I would not recommend Aperture on any machine with less than 2GB of RAM or below a C2D processor. Not sure how it runs on DP G5 machines, but it was a slug on my iMac G5 1.8GHz with 1GB of RAM.

shinji
22nd January 2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread....

I am using a iBook G4 1.33GHz at the moment and Aperture2 doesn't support it so I can't really download the trial version to give it a test run

The GF is waiting (with the pre-installed iLife '09) to get the new unibody Macbook, I could buy Aperture2 with it then .....would I able to get the software cheaper? And is running Aperture2 on the Macbook be smooth/zingy?

I read somewhere in Mactalk that Lightroom2 is dearer than Aperture2 ......is that still true? In HK the full version (not upgrade) of Aperture2 is HK$1598 at the moment, but can't find the LR2 price online in HK....

Currawong
22nd January 2009, 09:33 PM
Aperture's RAM usage varies dramatically. If I start moving through 10MP RAW images in one of my albums, it starts to eat up RAM like there's no tomorrow. This is obviously to keep performance good, but since I'm limited to 3Gb of RAM (and have a lot of other apps open already using a fair bit of RAM) then it can be a bit of a hassle. If you're going to be doing like I do, max the RAM and get at least a 200Gb 7200rpm internal HD for the MacBook.

shinji
22nd January 2009, 09:49 PM
thanks for the advice. But I don't think I can upgrade the hardrive (GF not permitting) I can only max out the RAM.

oli
22nd January 2009, 10:10 PM
Or run your Aperture Library from a FW800 external 7200rpm drive if you can. It performs best if it doesn't have to share disk activity with anything else.

dotnet
22nd January 2009, 11:19 PM
I agree, Aperture wants good disk performance as it reads and writes lots of small and large(ish) files all the time. On top of that it benefits from a lot of free RAM that it can use as buffer cache (thereby improving file IO performance). So max out the RAM if you can (not buying Apple RAM of course).

A decent graphics chips helps too, so they say. I didn't notice much after upgrading the stock Nvidia 7600GT with an ATI 1900XT. I did notice it a big improvement when I replaced the stock consumer-grade Seagate disk with a 4-disc stripe of WD Raptors. That made a hell of a difference.

I reckon, for a laptop a good 7200rpm disk or better an eSATA Raptor or RAID and lots of RAM are a good idea if you're planning to run Aperture.

I should also mention that Aperture 2 performs much better than Aperture 1.5.

Cheers
Steffen.

oli
22nd January 2009, 11:27 PM
I have a Santa Rosa 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM and when running Aperture at home I run my Library from a 7200rpm drive connected via FW800. In general I think the performance is very good. My MBP is connected to a 30" panel and if I run Aperture in full screen that's when I notice the graphics performance taking a bit of a hit.

If I reduce the size of the window to 70-80% of the total screen area the difference is noticeable.

When I am travelling I usually create a new Aperture Library on my internal 5400rpm drive which is much slower then create a new vault on a portable hard drive I can carry with me. When I get home I export the new projects and reimport them back into my main Library on the faster drive.

Works for me... Hope that helps anyone here who travels and uses Aperture as well. :)

shinji
23rd January 2009, 01:52 AM
Or run your Aperture Library from a FW800 external 7200rpm drive if you can. It performs best if it doesn't have to share disk activity with anything else.

Thanks again for the tip! I guess I will need to look at getting a 7200rpm external drive but only using a USB connection .....

So max out the RAM if you can (not buying Apple RAM of course.)

So now 3rd party DDR3 RAM are cheaper than Apple's RAM?

dotnet
23rd January 2009, 02:05 AM
So now 3rd party DDR3 RAM are cheaper than Apple's RAM?

Now? What do you mean? I can't remember a time when Apple RAM hasn't been more expensive (by a factor of up to 10) than quality RAM from other sources.

Tip: see forum member Clockwork for RAM.

Cheers
Steffen.

oli
23rd January 2009, 10:22 AM
Pretty sure 3rd party RAM of any sort is going to be cheaper than Apple's RAM. :)

By the way I wouldn't bother with running an Aperture Library from a drive connected via USB, even if it is a 7200rpm drive. Best off holding off till you can get something that is at least FW800. A PC-Express card with eSATA might be a better option again. I am not sure about those though.

donnnnnny
21st March 2009, 05:13 PM
newby here, was wondering if anyone knows, can i clone something from one image and place it on a second image using aperture 2??? i currently have aperture 2 on trial i, and have perviously only used iphoto softwear for my nikon d80. I shoot in raw and love to process on my mac

Mac Ram
21st March 2009, 06:06 PM
newby here, was wondering if anyone knows, can i clone something from one image and place it on a second image using aperture 2??? i currently have aperture 2 on trial i, and have perviously only used iphoto softwear for my nikon d80. I shoot in raw and love to process on my mac

Not as far as I know.

Aperture does a great job of organising and digitally adjusting your image. From what you're saying you want to copy something from one image and place it on another.

donnnnnny
22nd March 2009, 10:12 AM
yes, i do mac ram. I used a watermark to get the effect i was after. and thanks for the reply