PDA

View Full Version : Leopard upgrade from Hell

adamjc
11th February 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi,

I upgraded to Leopard yesterday on my 2.0 iMac G5 with 2gb memory. The only problems since I upgraded is that I have ultra slow internet (only affected on the iMac), Disk Utility does not repair or verify permissions, just hangs on 1 minute remaining and some applications (Apple Native) take longer to open.

Any ideas on my slow internet since upgrading? It is only the iMac that is affected as my other 'Dell' laptop still gets full speed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Huy
11th February 2008, 07:51 PM
10.5.1?

adamjc
11th February 2008, 07:56 PM
Yep 10.5.1 I just checked 'About this Mac'

adamjc
11th February 2008, 07:57 PM
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6531639

Seems to be a problem...wish I knew this before I upgraded.

My internet is wireless at home running through an Airport Express in another room, so I dont have the option of plugging it into ethernet.

leon
11th February 2008, 08:18 PM
Permissions repair in Leopard takes about 2-3 hours for me on all Leopard systems I have. I am using Leopard on my Macbook, Powerbook, iMac G5 and iMac C2E (see sig for specs) and I have not had any dropouts or slow downs of internet (Netgear DG834 running through Airport Extreme N-version (not gigabit ethernet)).

Which Apps are taking longer to open. I haven't noticed anything being slower on any of my Leopard systems.

Rodney9
11th February 2008, 08:21 PM
Mine takes about twenty five minutes, all the while saying " a minute to go ".

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=44308

I did a full clean install 3 times...

adamjc
11th February 2008, 08:24 PM
Permissions repair in Leopard takes about 2-3 hours for me on all Leopard systems I have. I am using Leopard on my Macbook, Powerbook, iMac G5 and iMac C2E (see sig for specs) and I have not had any dropouts or slow downs of internet (Netgear DG834 running through Airport Extreme N-version (not gigabit ethernet)).

Which Apps are taking longer to open. I haven't noticed anything being slower on any of my Leopard systems.

iMovie and Mail take longer to open for me, and Mail takes ages to send emails, but that would have something to do with my Airport connection slowing right down.

leon
11th February 2008, 08:32 PM
Which iMovie are you using. I don't use iMovie 08 as it doesn't suit my needs. I am using 6.0.4 on my C2E and everything is fairly snappy (but I guess that computer is pretty fast). Before I gave up on iMovie 08 I found that in general it was very slow as it would always try to load up all my video clips every time it was started up.
I haven't noticed anything wrong with mail, but as you stated, I suspect that it has something to do with your slow wireless performance.

adamjc
11th February 2008, 08:42 PM
Its very strange, the wireless performance has decreased so significantly from the time I installed Leopard, it definitely has something to do with the install.

I was using iMovie 08, and only started using it last week, even thought I bought iLife 08 when it was released I hated the new iMovie, but slowly I got used to it.

aussiedeano
11th February 2008, 08:51 PM

I've noticed that when I do a verify permissions, then repair, if I verify and repair again, it keeps doing the same verify and repair. So it really hasn't repaired anything....this is on a MBP running 10.5.1.....strange.

leon
11th February 2008, 08:52 PM
Have you installed the Login and Keychain update? This was supposed to resolve connecting to some b/g routers.

Andrew T Chadwick
11th February 2008, 09:34 PM
Clean instal?:confused:

adamjc
12th February 2008, 05:37 AM
I did an install on top of Tiger, so no clean install.

There are no new updates coming through on Software update, so I must have the latest of everything installed.

Will have to play around with it tonight I think.

Wally
12th February 2008, 08:11 AM
try 10.5.2 now :)

adamjc
13th February 2008, 05:13 AM
try 10.5.2 now :)

Good News 10.5.2 fixed the problem! All I can say, is lucky I didn't upgrade when it was first released...it would have been a long couple of months with slow airport connections!

And the slow Mail startup times have been fixed, just iMovie takes longer to open, but that is because it searches for the videos.

Thanks for all your help.