PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Teddy Bear

feeze
15th March 2005, 08:08 PM
Found this article in the Sydney Morning Herald (http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Microsoft-recruits-teddy-bear-for-spy-role/2005/03/14/1110649129342.html) (registration might be required)

Does anyone else find this concept a little scary. Seriously a teddy bear whose head follows you around the room, I'm 20 years old and that would freak me out, yet alone a 2 year old. :unsure:

Ozi
15th March 2005, 08:15 PM
That is bizarre and disturbing. I whole heartedly agree with the critical comments made by experts towards the end of the article, and my mother (who is a High School chaplain and ordained priest) also found it worrying.

p996911turbo
15th March 2005, 08:20 PM
Dude, that's beyond scary...

Interesting to see now that Microsoft has successfully f---ed most of the world's computers, it has moved on to f---ing up the world's children... I bet every hour it says "Buy Windows"

Jimbo
15th March 2005, 08:20 PM
i've said it before and i'll say it again, FOR FUCKS SAKE PEOPLE, JUST PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CHILD, PLAY WITH IT, FEED IT SOMETHING HEALTY, LIKE A PIECE OF FRUIT, AND SOME MILO! STOP FUCKING LETTING VIDEO GAMES, AND OTHER PEOPLE RAISE YOU CHILDREN!

/rant

this coming from a 20 year old, who has never had a child to look after.

darknight84
15th March 2005, 08:28 PM
I dont think its that scary, maybe you ppl are just scared that its almost alive with its head moving. Its actually pretty cool I think. There are seriously weirder things out there than this like in Japan and what gadgets they have for spy cameras. I just want to know what you ppl have again MICROSOFT! Sheesh! hehehe

arty
15th March 2005, 09:00 PM
A high-tech Teddy Ruxpin for the 00's?

For those who don't remember TR he was billed as "The World's First Animated Talking Toy!". Designed by Nolan Bushnell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Bushnell) of Atari fame.

Teddy and his caterpillar friend Grubby were from the land of Grundo. The thing that made them extraordinary was that they were animated in a Showbiz Pizza kind of way (Bushnell purchased Pizza Time Theaters back from Warner Communications - Pizza Time was originally developed at Atari - a place where kids could go and eat pizza and play video games. The Pizza Time / Chuck E. Cheese Theaters also had animatronic animals that played music as entertainment). Just pop the special tape that contained inaudible movement commands into Teddy and suddenly his eyes and mouth are moving in synch with the story on the tape. Pretty heavy stuff for 1985.

The early full-sized Teddy's were manufactured by Worlds of Wonder or WOW, until 1989. Then they were produced by WOW/Playskool and Teddy had a new size and now used special cartridges rather than tapes. Teddy got even smaller when Yes! Entertainment made the latest version from 1998-1999.

The Teddy concept was pretty cool but you needed lots of books/tapes/cartridges to keep him interesting and WOW obliged with over 40 titles. The 3 different Teddys cannot share stories as none of the tapes/cartridges are downward or upward compatible.

Like any favorite that shares time on store shelves and TV, children could enjoyed a wealth of Teddy Ruxpin related merchandise like outfits, videos, bedsheets, phones, puzzles, backpacks, ballons and much more.

konni
15th March 2005, 10:43 PM
OMG...

[ from my disturbed headspace having just watched Manchurian Candidate on DVD to this story - of course there's no connection - it's just disturbing ]

montfort
15th March 2005, 10:51 PM
what will they come up with next...this is a product for the paranoid parent!

LCGuy
15th March 2005, 10:56 PM
sssscarrrrryyyy..........

king89
16th March 2005, 12:02 AM
I reckon this is one very disturbing development, especially the part where the parent can actually talk through the bear. I can imagine numerous hours spent with a shrink just trying to sort that out, on top of an over bearing big brother (pun intended).

iSlayer
16th March 2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by arty@Mar 15 2005, 10:00 PM
A high-tech Teddy Ruxpin for the 00's?

For those who don't remember TR he was billed as "The World's First Animated Talking Toy!". Designed by Nolan Bushnell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Bushnell) of Atari fame.

Teddy and his caterpillar friend Grubby were from the land of Grundo. The thing that made them extraordinary was that they were animated in a Showbiz Pizza kind of way (Bushnell purchased Pizza Time Theaters back from Warner Communications - Pizza Time was originally developed at Atari - a place where kids could go and eat pizza and play video games. The Pizza Time / Chuck E. Cheese Theaters also had animatronic animals that played music as entertainment). Just pop the special tape that contained inaudible movement commands into Teddy and suddenly his eyes and mouth are moving in synch with the story on the tape. Pretty heavy stuff for 1985.

The early full-sized Teddy's were manufactured by Worlds of Wonder or WOW, until 1989. Then they were produced by WOW/Playskool and Teddy had a new size and now used special cartridges rather than tapes. Teddy got even smaller when Yes! Entertainment made the latest version from 1998-1999.

The Teddy concept was pretty cool but you needed lots of books/tapes/cartridges to keep him interesting and WOW obliged with over 40 titles. The 3 different Teddys cannot share stories as none of the tapes/cartridges are downward or upward compatible.

Like any favorite that shares time on store shelves and TV, children could enjoyed a wealth of Teddy Ruxpin related merchandise like outfits, videos, bedsheets, phones, puzzles, backpacks, ballons and much more.
i had one :)
i still have it some where.
i used to love it when i was a kid.
the best toy i ever had

zen
16th March 2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Mar 16 2005, 06:59 AM
i had one :)
i still have it some where.
i used to love it when i was a kid.
the best toy i ever had
now we know what to blame for you being so messed up :P *jokes*

iSlayer
16th March 2005, 09:28 AM
lol
ill ignore that comment

i swear it was cool 10 years ago

kit
16th March 2005, 09:57 AM
It just has such a Chucky feel to it.

I just expect people to start getting their teddy bears hacked by passers-by so that their little teddy eyebrows crease and their eyes glow red, their heads turn around and then they start whispering "Kill them all" into the ear of the sleeping youngster.

Not to mention that a bear with motors in it can't be all that cuddly :S.

sikosis
16th March 2005, 10:02 AM
hrmmm isnt this just another one of Microsoft's attempts to rip off a competitor's product ala Sony's AIBO ?

"Mommy my bear's been hacked !!!"

Chr1s
16th March 2005, 10:07 AM
I think that is just lazy parenting. If all you wanted it for was surveillance, you could use a camera with a microphone on it that did the same thing.
I certainly wouldn't want my 2yo niece playing with it, nor would I be relying on it in any way to watch over her.

iSlayer
16th March 2005, 10:12 AM
anyone else worried that it will have some form of windows on it.

haha cant wait to hear stories of people having to take a teddy bear into a computer technition

and anyone else worried this could be used for more sinister things.
there is a serious issue there

microsoft are going to have to develope a rock solid security system for this and we all know security isnt microsoft strong point.

there is no chance in hell id give this to any kid let alone my own

arty
16th March 2005, 10:21 AM
"Mummy, my teddy blue-eyed again!"

gmask1
16th March 2005, 10:27 AM
No doubt you'll have to activate it:

"I'm sorry sir, your Teddy has been activated too many times."
"But it's mine - I promise!"
"Well, ok then, here's the manual activation code - ready?"
"Go for it!"
"Ok, pat belly, wiggle right ear, pat belly, pat belly, scratch butt - no sir, the teddy's butt -, bend left elbow...."

LCGuy
16th March 2005, 12:49 PM
"Mummy, my teddy crashed!!!!!!"