PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Exchange

Nevets_Anderson
15th March 2005, 08:26 PM
Ok I know this is a bad idea but the boss wants me to look into it...@!

Our existing email server is ok but the bl*((dy acount execs want to be able to do meetings and other such stuff via microsoft euntorage (or how ever it's spelt)....

So I'm asked to look into the costing etc of an exchange server (oh can it run on a mac he says!)

Appart from the fact that we would have to patch the thing every Thursday (or is it Tuesday ) and probably pay a massive amount for the previdelige and deal with 64,000 knowin virus...

Is there any thing else I can use to scare the hell out of the boss ??

What would be a basic middle range box to run this from? What additional software would I need (appart from antivirus?) we are looking at a company of about 25. How does it run with older versions of office (we have about 10 - 15 copies) and how does it run generally on the mac client. Also any knowin bugs with teh apple mail client?

thanks in advance

nevets...

I think I'll go and drink a bottle of whiskey now! :(

MacPC
15th March 2005, 08:39 PM
I use use both Entourage 2004 (Mac) and Outlook 2003 (PC) at work. Entourage never syncs correctly with our Exchange server (latest version), often having most folders badly out of sync.

If I were you I would look at implementing something else, if it exists!

purana
15th March 2005, 08:40 PM
The one thing that will scare the boss is the price...

Your going to need a PC server, then licensed Windows Server, then also exchange itself. Its going to be a costly exercise.

I think you'd have more luck asking someone who deals in this stuff daily. I don't deal with this type of thing at work so can't comment further. I can assure you its not exactly cheap to license it and buy it.

sikosis
16th March 2005, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure if Entourage is fully MAPI compliant - I think it uses IMAP, WebDAV and LDAP. Nothing overly wrong with that.

The price will scare your boss. It still scares our directors.

We have 55 staff and Exchange cost around $30k for the Enterprise Edition. Why did we get the Enterprise and not the Standard ? Well, if your Information Store (where all your emails are kept) is bigger than 14GB, on a Standard Exchange server, it will stop working. ie. Enterprise version is needed to support stores greater than 14GB.

You'll have to patch the Windows Server each Wednesday (Patch Tuesday in the US) - no different from other Windows Servers.

You can get MS's spam filter (IMF) for 2003, which works quite well.

We use AVG for Exchange for AV - I'd never touch symantec.

We have had issues getting Outlook Web Access to work with our BSD firewall for external use. The response from MS is to use ISA (bah). So, we just don't use it, except on the LAN for some PCs.

Something else to think about is your backup solution. You might need to get something like Veritas Backup Exec with it's Exchange Agent to do backups whilst it's running or you can get away with using ntbackup to back up to another server and then back that up to tape.

wasssup
17th April 2005, 02:15 AM
Hi,

I do this stuff for a living, if you are serious about it and would like some advice, email me.

Cheers.