PDA

View Full Version : Mini-ITX Power PC

Byrd
13th April 2004, 10:46 PM
See Here! (http://www.gms4vme.com/P50x_Spider.html)

I want one! 800Mhz Power PC, dual gigabit ethernet ports, DDR266 memory support, all the size of a 3.5" hard disk! Granted it probably costs a donkey and isn't Mac OS compatible, but some variant of Linux (with MacOnLinux software?) might be a possibility.

JB

voidboi
13th April 2004, 11:59 PM
wow! that is one small computer!!

imagine having a few of those in a suit case, your own super computer maybe? :D

-[V]oid

decryption
14th April 2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by bYrd@Apr 13 2004, 11:46 PM
See Here! (http://www.gms4vme.com/P50x_Spider.html)

I want one! 800Mhz Power PC, dual gigabit ethernet ports, DDR266 memory support, all the size of a 3.5" hard disk! Granted it probably costs a donkey and isn't Mac OS compatible, but some variant of Linux (with MacOnLinux software?) might be a possibility.

JB
Wow, that is cool :D
And you can run Mac OS X quite easily via Mac On Linux!
There's even reports Mac OS X runs faster via that than native :P

codeman
14th April 2004, 02:14 AM
I wouldn't bother trying to get Mac OS on there, I'd just use it as an internet router/firewall.

The small size and power requirements could make it ideal as a car pc, if only one could hook up sound and 'mass storage' to it (all you need is USB2 I guess, or Firewire)

It's cool, anyway, even if it does seem largely useless to most of us.......

pipsqeek
14th April 2004, 11:27 AM
I have a small form factor fetish. This was just the cherry on top.

Man, imagine rocking up to a LAN with that. in something like a pack of cigs. or a clear plexiglass case.

Oh, I am fulling with ideas. oH OH ohHH!!! OOOOH! overload. AAAAHHHH!

Gothikon
15th April 2004, 10:09 PM
Hey Byrd!

mini-itx is a standard, this board is way smaller, possibly smaller than nano-itx.

the title should have been SFF PowerPC!

elvis
16th April 2004, 09:45 AM
I wonder how hard it would be to have an absolutely tiny Linux or BSD setup that loaded a kernel and then started MacOnLinux in fullscreen mode? Running OSX 10.3 on cheap PPC systems would be a blast!

Sounds like it would piss Apple off pretty serverely, of course. :)

Byrd
16th April 2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Apr 15 2004, 10:09 PM
the title should have been SFF PowerPC!
Alright ... then aren't these boards SBC factor? They're smaller than a nano-ITX board.

JB