PDA

View Full Version : what apple notebook as starter?

jennyc355
10th February 2008, 08:04 AM
What apple notebook would be a good starter .. a secondhand one of course.Interested in it to use photoshop on mainly and to connect to internet occasionally..Any help would be greatful as confused when look at ebay and see G3 ,G4 and power book or macbook used .

Meh 626
10th February 2008, 08:06 AM
What price range are you looking at?

Thanks,
Meh 626 :)

Welcome to MacTalk!

dolbinau
10th February 2008, 08:06 AM
It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. Any intel MacBook (if it is in your price range) would be a good starter IMO, Running CS3 (universal binary) and also if you don't like OS X you can always just run Windows natively using Boot Camp. The G4 laptops may be getting a little 'long in the tooth'.

jastormont
10th February 2008, 08:59 AM
Yes we really need to know what price range you are looking at?

I am guessing you are looking at once around the $500 - $800 mark if you say G3's and G4's?

If this was I would say go with a G4 as it will be better for PS. I would look at around the 800mhz at least as well.

What version of Ps are you looking at running as well? As this too can have a very large impact on what you will need to run it.

silverdreamer
10th February 2008, 09:18 AM
For a start, ignore dolbinau'ss suggestion. If you have mace the decision to buy an Apple machine. I doubt you did so to run windows.

If your looking second hand, then of course your pocket depth is crucial. If you have the money you can pick up a good second hand intel Macbook, but as I said, pocket dictates.

Give us an idea of your monetary limitations and I am sure someone here will be able to steer you right.

Welcome to Mactalk.

dolbinau
11th February 2008, 06:31 AM
For a start, ignore dolbinau'ss suggestion. If you have mace the decision to buy an Apple machine. I doubt you did so to run windows.

(Assuming he is completely new to OS X) - Not everyone who uses OS X instantly falls in love.

LarryH
11th February 2008, 06:50 AM
(Assuming he is completely new to OS X) - Not everyone who uses OS X instantly falls in love.

I did :D

Really, If your a starter, the base model MacBook is fine. But if you want to have the SuperDrive (DVD burner) you'll have to pay an extra $200.

Or wait for a rev.

leon
11th February 2008, 09:27 AM
I would start start off with a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.5 to 1.67 GHz. You can pick these up for around the $600 mark. That way you can pick up Adobe Creative Suite 2 (PPC only) which should be relatively cheap now that CS3 is available.
Personally I wouldn't bother with anything slower than that mentioned above. I would also steer clear of the iBooks if I were you due to the smaller screens.

lazydesi
11th February 2008, 09:41 AM
go for the cheapest one with low ram and low HDD configuration and upgrade Ram and HDD by u r self

jrad
11th February 2008, 10:28 AM
As silverdreamer suggested, you don't buy a Mac to try Windows. The problem with bootcamp is lots of people people get a mac but end up only using it for Windows purely because they're too lazy to give OSX a shot... crazy fools :p

One of my mates hardly ever runs OSX on his new Macbook, I give him lots of grief for it too. Reminds me of the rentsmart reps that bought a MBP but never uses OSX because he doesn't "...understand it. Can I can get Powerpoint on my mac?" :rolleyes:

On topic: G4 machines are made of champion and pure awesome. My G4 1.07Ghz runs Final Cut, Photoshop CS3 and other difficult tasks and hardly ever crashes. Yeah, it's a tad slower, but its a great intro into the world of Mac if you don't have the money to buy a new one.

Devil
11th February 2008, 10:36 AM
I would start start off with a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.5 to 1.67 GHz. You can pick these up for around the $600 mark. That way you can pick up Adobe Creative Suite 2 (PPC only) which should be relatively cheap now that CS3 is available.
Personally I wouldn't bother with anything slower than that mentioned above. I would also steer clear of the iBooks if I were you due to the smaller screens.

I agree! You want a 15 inch with 1440 x 900 screen resolution, or a 17 inch with 1680 x 1050.

If these aren't in your price range, and it will be a while before you can afford an Intel based Mac (really the best way to go long term) then make sure you at least get a Mac product with USB 2 built in.

halledise
11th February 2008, 10:41 AM
What apple notebook would be a good starter .. a secondhand one of course.Interested in it to use photoshop on mainly and to connect to internet occasionally..Any help would be greatful as confused when look at ebay and see G3 ,G4 and power book or macbook used .

depending upon your use, G4 PowerBook 1ghz processor and higher with maxed out memory will run Photoshop CS2 or Elements quite happily.

$450 - $600 is a reasonable price for the 12" or 15" model.
you should be able to get additional memory for around $75 - $90 for a 1gb stick.

obviously an early MacBook will allow you to do so much more - such as running Windows via Bootcamp - and will allow you to run CS3 - fastish.

but as a good starter, PBook for low budget, MacBook (around $900 - $1k) if your $ stretches that far.

as someone earlier mentioned, stay clear of iBooks for they are now a little dated.

hope this helps and ditto 'welcome to MT' ;)

ps - spargo's got a high end PBook for sale -

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=36891

jennyc355
8th March 2008, 10:16 AM
My husband isnt interested in running windows on it..just cs2 as we have looked around forums and most say mac's are pretty goodfor cs2..price range $400...600