PDA

View Full Version : 10.4.11 Parlat Catala?

TheMountainGoat
9th February 2008, 02:54 AM
This is something that I have been asked by my partner... She wants to know if it is possible to change the language of OSX 10.4 to her native tongue, Catalan.

She has the Windows bus in Catalan, and would really like to know if it is possible on the Mac, because I think that this could be the reason to make her swap to the glorious Apple (and convince her company, who I am the tech for, that Mac IS the way forward!)

I know it is available in the language list in 'International' but I don't know what else I need to get it running. Is there a language pack that I would have to download?

I have searched the support site, but have not found any reference to specific language packs, like there are for Vista.

Anyone got any ideas where to look?

p53
9th February 2008, 06:07 AM
the language pack would be on the OS install disc
but unless you removed languages using Monolingual, you should be able to use it without any additional installations.
have you seletected it in International Language and Input Menu? that should be all you need to do really

Rasta
9th February 2008, 06:57 AM
It doesn't look promising...

Have a look here (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17033)

Currawong
9th February 2008, 08:28 AM
On the contrary, if it's now a public issue, we might see support for it in the future.

stewiesno1
9th February 2008, 09:48 AM
That could actually be a great ad campaign for Apple. Target ethnic groups that have their own language and port OSX to it. How much would it cost to do this ?

Stewie

Rasta
9th February 2008, 10:43 AM
Catalan is the most common language spoken in Spain, so I'm very surprised it's not part of the baseline package...

TheMountainGoat
11th February 2008, 07:00 PM
Well, I have been through International, and checked in there, and it is listed... However, when selecting the language from the list, and rebooting/logging out and back in, the machine displays the last language used!

As for the article, well, I think that it is a little saddening because of what I have seen with other (Windows/Some Linux) machines in the area; and with the amount of people that ask me about the Mac's on a regular basis here, I believe that there definitely the market.

It seems saddening that there is not the language support for a Mac, even though the company is local to where I live; and also the fact that a lot of users will not swap systems even though they want to, because they prefer a native language operating system, that can (sadly) be found elsewhere.

I am just wondering why Apple would 'downgrade' a newer operating system, if they used to provide support as native in OS 9, and before. Seems like a dumb trick to me!

EDIT: - Rasta, Catalan is not the most spoken language in Spain; Spanish is... Catalan is spoken by 10 million of the people, basically in the north eastern area, basically from Tarragona to the French border, and Llieda across to the Med (and about the same size area in France...)

TheMountainGoat
11th February 2008, 07:06 PM
That could actually be a great ad campaign for Apple. Target ethnic groups that have their own language and port OSX to it. How much would it cost to do this ?

Stewie

I'm sure that if they did something like an open source translation, then it would not cost that much, because the cost would be spread out, by local volunteers... It would just require the language packs 'building' together at the end...

JaimeSharp
11th February 2008, 08:34 PM
afaik it is supported in leopard