PDA

View Full Version : Mac Case Modding Comp

Byrd
13th April 2004, 10:21 PM
Gothikon and I were discussing the other day the possibility of having an Appletalk case modding comp. I'm certainly not talking about people cutting up their $5K piece of kit by adding a few flashy lights, but hacking an older PPC or 68K machine might be a possibility. The cheaper and more original the mod, the better. Perhaps adding mods to an existing case, or shoving the components into something else might work - especially when some Mac mainboards are quite small and cool-running.

Would anyone be interested in this? I might be able to offer a prize of some hardware of sorts (don't get too excited - no nVidia Geforce 6800's I'm afraid :D).

My mac modding machine of choice? My LC475 - 25Mhz 040 @ 33Mhz, MAXED 36MB RAM, 1.2GB hd - might benefit from a side case window, LEDs and cold cathode goodness.

Please let me know of your ideas in this thread - imagine the visitors we'd attract with our groovy lineup of Ghetto modded Macs!

JB

Disko
13th April 2004, 11:08 PM
That sounds like a great idea!

Perhaps a sponsor could donate a prize? email me: disko@appletalk.com.au

voidboi
13th April 2004, 11:54 PM
i'm thinking of putting a cathode light in my G4 MDD sometime soon, nothing special though. (just an 8cm tube behind the air vents)

-[V]oid

Currawong
14th April 2004, 08:04 AM
G5's would be perfect for cold cathode tubes. The trouble is, there are no spare internal molex connectors for power.

pipsqeek
14th April 2004, 04:19 PM
I can make a double adaptor for that sort of thing.

Good thing about CCFL's is that they consume next to nothing in current, so it won't really effect the PSU. max current for a 12" CCFL would be around the 400mA mark.

I've made controllers for these things in someones case ages ago that switch between each colour of the tubes. Red, Green, Blue, Orange, White, UV.

Anyone want more details on this can pm me about it.

The controller itself, not including the CCFL's and inverter will cost $40 ready to plug in. Boxed in a plastic ABS container.

I have not experimented with handling multiple colours at once. two CCFL's or more on at once. I would have to test current draw and how the PSU will react to this load as it will be max 400mA X whatever amount of CCFL's lit at once.

Thanks
Steve

Gothikon
14th April 2004, 09:18 PM
Our idea was really for something simple where it's about your modding skills, not how expensive your hardware is and how many lights you can cram in it. That's why i was thinking a pizza box mac would be ideal. They're cheap, nay, free! so if you are cash starved our worried about breaking something, well there's nothing to worry about. Also because the original cases are very basic and have little space it should encourage real injenuity.

Besides the G5 with cold cathodes has been done, there was a link to one on xlr8yourmac a while back with green CCFLs

pipsqeek
14th April 2004, 09:37 PM
I was mainly replying to the previous message.

But if its cheap ya want. this is cool.

How bout a shoebox G4 Cube?

Steve