PDA

View Full Version : Milky macbook - replacing keyboard

marty131
8th February 2008, 06:42 PM
Last week I spilt some milk over my trusty 10month old macbook. Now the J,K,L,Enter, and all arrow keys no longer work. They feel as if there is dried up milk under them (surprise surprise).

I rang up apple and they said to bring it in, I then also rang up the place of purchase with whom I have a 3year extended warranty which covers such damage as "water damage". I'm not sure weather they will fix it free of charge or not.

Basically, I think the keyboard will either need to be replaced, or cleaned. Should I try cleaning the keyboard before taking it to get repaired? Can I do any more damage? If the keyboard needs to be replaced, any damage to the keyboard from here on in shouldn't matter?

If they do quote me a ridiculous price, is it possible to purchase a keyboard myself and install it? Is this recommended?

BTW, what sort of price could I expect from apple directly for a keyboard replacement?

TheMountainGoat
8th February 2008, 06:58 PM
Don't strip your keyboard and try to clean it!

If you do, then you could invalidate your warranty! I know that sounds to contradict what you have just said, but it could be construed that the damage due to milk was there after the keyboard was attempted cleaning, to cover up some other damage.

My advice, is if the keyboard isn't replaced under warranty, then get the authorised dealer to do it for you. If you do it yourself, then you risk losing the 3 year extended warranty that you paid for. What seems like the cheaper option now, could work out very costly two years down the line, if you need something major doing on the machine.

marty131
8th February 2008, 07:00 PM

If you do, then you could invalidate your warranty! I know that sounds to contradict what you have just said, but it could be construed that the damage due to milk was there after the keyboard was attempted cleaning, to cover up some other damage.

My advice, is if the keyboard isn't replaced under warranty, then get the authorised dealer to do it for you. If you do it yourself, then you risk losing the 3 year extended warranty that you paid for. What seems like the cheaper option now, could work out very costly two years down the line, if you need something major doing on the machine.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So you are saying I should try to take it to Apple and claim it under their warranty first? I would have thought for sure it wouldn't be included.

But good thinking re: not damaging the keyboard further... Never thought like that. Makes sense!

TheMountainGoat
8th February 2008, 07:08 PM
So you are saying I should try to take it to Apple and claim it under their warranty first?

I would try first, because if the machine is still under warranty, then there is no harm in taking it and talking it through with them.

I would rather know from the company what their fix rate is going to be, and also they would probably be able to give you the relevant quotes for a new keyboard and / or clean up of the damaged one as well.

Also, I would ask them, whilst they have got it opened up to have a look for any other milk ingress into the case, because it is highly possible that there could be milk in parts that you have not yet discovered, so even if you did clean the keyboard, you may have some other build up of the white stuff where you cannot see it!

iPirate
11th February 2008, 02:25 PM
Ants are your best friends. A bash.org quote said they cleaned some soft drink off a keyboard and after me telling my girlfriend about that, she told me a couple of days ago that she found a trail of ants leading to her MacBook. They solved the sticky keys that she got after her sister tipped a cup of hot (and sugary) tea onto her Macbook. So I vote 1 Ants here.

I suppose Milk mightn't have a high enough sugar content to entice ants but you never know...

thorevenge
11th February 2008, 02:28 PM
Liquid damage is not covered by warranty.

You are up for a new top case, as the keyboards are integrated into the top case of the Macbooks, unlike the Pros.

You won't get off for much less than around $300 I think.

Linux_insidev2
11th February 2008, 02:29 PM

Good luck trying to score warranty, it's already void - and it should be blindingly obvious to any competent technician

marty131
12th February 2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. The macbook is scheduled to go to the POS on Thursday. They are a normal electronics store, with whom I took an extended warranty out with which supposedly covers water spillages... Not 100% sure, but I'll give them a shot.

Now the shift button seems to be stuck on. Is there anyway I can disable the on-board keyboard and use an external keyboard? At the moment when I turn on the mac it brings up the login screen, asking for my password which is all lower case and therefore impossible to input. Pressing the left shift key doesn't have an affect either. So an external keyboard probably wont work either...