PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Pro - Rendering on Every Clip?

mattmac
8th February 2008, 03:51 PM
A question for the FCP Pro's as I am still a very new user to it.

I have captured all the footage in HDV and using the Apple Intermediate Codec as usual for the capture + sequence setup.

But! Everytime I place a clip on the timeline I have to render and its bloody annoying as I know this didn't happen last time (I think) which is why I am asking you guys.

Or at least last time I am pretty sure I could still preview, edit, cut whatever anything on the timeline before having to do the final render. This time I can't, the preview screen just says "Unrendered".

Anyway any ideas please let me know :) Thanks!

Matt

benixau
8th February 2008, 04:26 PM
Did you use the same codec last time.
It sounds like FCP is deciding that your mac doesn't have enough grunt to play it in realtime and wants you to render it. Check to see if you have Unlimited RT turned on.

Also, some effects and generators define themselves as requiring rendering regardless of machine.

mattmac
8th February 2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes same codecs as last time. AIC.

Thats exactly what I want it to do, realtime playback - Where can I find to cehck Unlimited RT turn on? I had a look around and searched help files but no luck!

I understand most effects + generators need the rendering thats fine yep.

benixau
8th February 2008, 04:38 PM
To turn on Unlimited RT:
Final Cut Pro>System Settings>Playback Control>
Change RT from Safe to Unlimited.

This assumes you're using the lastest version of course

benixau
8th February 2008, 04:45 PM
Also, check the FCP User Manual page 638 (page 1423 if you're using the PDF).
AIC needs real grunt.

visional_studios
8th February 2008, 04:52 PM
Edit: Sorry please ignore - just re read your original post.

cosmichobo
8th February 2008, 05:09 PM
It sounds like the Sequence file you have created is not set up the same as the source material you are using, hence FCP then wants to render it to be able to show it.

If you use the window that has all of your clips and sequences, it has heaps of columns of information if you scroll across... Find the sequence file, and compare its settings to that of the clips you have logged... That can help find the discrepency between the two. Then just adjust the Sequence settings to match the clips, because the more you render, the further from "perfect" your picture becomes.

mattmac
8th February 2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks for that! But.. it doesn't play back very smoothly.. I know for a fact this didn't happen last time though... doesn't make sense and I've got more ram since then :p

Do you know what I mean though, if the sequence + files are all set to AIC why would I need to render it when placing them on the timeline (unless of course I add an effect etc but I am not).

mattmac
8th February 2008, 05:14 PM
Hold up.. sorry guys. Don't know how this happened but turns out the sequence was in HDV 1080i50 instead of AIC.

Lol ooops - I must have stuffed it up somewhere along the way.

I should just be able to copy and paste my first few mins of edited footage across i hope.

mattmac
8th February 2008, 05:28 PM
It sounds like the Sequence file you have created is not set up the same as the source material you are using, hence FCP then wants to render it to be able to show it.

If you use the window that has all of your clips and sequences, it has heaps of columns of information if you scroll across... Find the sequence file, and compare its settings to that of the clips you have logged... That can help find the discrepency between the two. Then just adjust the Sequence settings to match the clips, because the more you render, the further from "perfect" your picture becomes.

Sorry mate only just noticed your post, thats exactly what i just double checked in as It could not have been anything else I spose... which I thought I did originally :rolleyes:. Cheers all good now guys! im happy. :D

cosmichobo
8th February 2008, 05:29 PM
What you may find, depending on PAR, is that the basic Motion settings will be changed in those bits you've already done...

If so, fix one clip in the timeline, then copy attributes - tick Motion - and then paste attributes over the other clips.

mattmac
8th February 2008, 05:29 PM
Great thanx mate, I'll check that now :)