PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Templates installable on external?

jrad
7th February 2008, 11:37 PM
G'day all.

I've just purchased Studio 2 online and I'm waiting to get it my hands... Looking on the website I see it says 4G is needed to install the studio apps, but another 55gig is required for templates/ sound library etc. As I'm installing this on an laptop this is a lot of space to be eating up, and whilst I don't have to install it, I wonder... does anyone know if this data can be installed onto an external? I searched the interwebs and mactalk forums and found nothing on this...

Thanks!

Peter Wells
7th February 2008, 11:46 PM
yeah, it can be installed on an external.

jrad
9th February 2008, 01:16 PM
Oh brilliant! So, its possible to install the core apps (Final Cut, Soundtrack, Motion etc) and leave the templates on a HDD and not have it go burko if the external isn't available?

How would I go about installing in that fashion?

Lilith
9th February 2008, 07:09 PM
Quite a bit of these "pro" aps allow all manner of directing various inputs and outputs too and from your own or other HDDs. One HDD for templates, one for a sound library, another for .....

Even if you think things aren't as specific as they could be during the instal, then do what I did with the next major upgrade: as minimal instal as possible and then start up, say, FCP and go to town with all the various preferences on where to find certain assets and where or to what they should be written. Or just let things happen during the instal and then later tweak things.

You do not have a worry.

Alchroma
10th February 2008, 07:19 PM
Oh brilliant! So, its possible to install the core apps (Final Cut, Soundtrack, Motion etc) and leave the templates on a HDD and not have it go burko if the external isn't available?

How would I go about installing in that fashion?

Do yourself a favour and make sure the external is formatted to Mac OS Extended before you put it into use. Most drive are pre-formatted to the PC world.

Another tip is to put FCS stuff including the External into the privacy section of Spotlight so it keeps it snoopy nose out. Spotlight Indexing can cause strife when capturing etc. :thumbup:

Al

Peter Wells
10th February 2008, 07:25 PM
bruce!

Alchroma
10th February 2008, 07:27 PM
bruce!

Well, a pretty good lookalike anyway. ;)

Al

jrad
15th February 2008, 09:03 AM
Spotlight Indexing can cause strife when capturing etc. :thumbup:

Oh yeah, HFS makes a big difference... particularly as FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation, so all my editing drives are HFS formatted, of course :) Does spotlight cause that much trouble whilst capturing? I've never had any issues with it... Find it kinda useful to be able to type in a project name, rush or asset and being able to find it instantly :p

Alchroma
15th February 2008, 09:48 AM
What can I say:
If it's not borken there's no need to tinker then. That'll do.