PDA

View Full Version : Superduper Back-up in Safe Boot Mode

drcrox
7th February 2008, 11:35 AM
Advice required please:

Whilst attempting to install the Bigpond wireless software from the installation CD I encountered problems getting my G4 PB (Tiger 10.4.11) to recognise the modem on a port - then I get the black "You need to restart your computer" screen .....

Having turned off, the PB will now not boot - spinning grey wheel of death only. Managed to boot in safe mode and I now want to backup onto the external HDD before doing anything else.

Problem is, I do not know whether I can (or should) backup in safe mode using Superduper since it overwrites any existing data on the HDD.

Any help most appreciated :confused::confused:

Aladdin
7th February 2008, 09:09 PM
How long since your last backup - it would be easier to restore from the external HDD and have a functional computer again.

Have a look at this webpage (http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/296547-powerbook-g4-not-booting.html), sounds like someone had a similar problem.

Currawong
8th February 2008, 02:51 PM
If the Bigpond installer uses the Mac OS X installer, you could open it, then press command-i which will bring up a list of the files installed. It probably installed a single kernel extension which is screwing things up. You could then, in various ways, such as booting from the SD back-up, remove the installed files manually.