PDA

View Full Version : Weird parental controls issue with Leopard

dotnet
5th February 2008, 10:17 PM
In a state of advanced drunkenness I allowed myself to be drawn into the recent MacHeist purchase. One of the products I obtained was FreeVerse's game "Tiki Magic Minigolf".

My kids love it, but I have been unable to register the software on their Mac (10.5.1). I kept getting "network issues, blah, blah... could not connect to server, blah...". After a few days of trying (I thought there was a problem with the site) I clicked the "Lost code" button on the registration dialog, which took me to Freeverse's store. Only that it didn't. Sarafi, too, had issues connecting to store.freeverse.com. Network captures showed that it connected just fine, to the correct IP address, and got a response.

I decided that the Safari problem and the registration issue were one and the same thing (I'm sure they both use the same webkit APIs to do their stuff), and tried to bring the kids' Mac into the brave new world of bug-free Safari: 10.5.2 (9C30). No luck, same problem.

I had discounted Leopard's parental controls early on, since I didn't get a blocked site message. I decided to disable it anyway, logged out and back in - et voila! Safari loads store.freeverse.com and the game registers just fine.

Now, this is surely not expected behaviour. If parental controls reckons it should interfere it is supposed to pop up a message, which would also give the opportunity to whitelist the site. It should also log the attempts under "blocked sites". But nothing, it kept completely quiet, just broke the communication.

Why am I posting all this? Well, I thought about filing a bug but I'm rather discouraged by my recent bug reporting attempts (dozens of them, various bugs, which all led to nothing). And I have no crash log. So I'm posting this as a warning to others. If your kids experience strange problems connecting to sites (not just from Safari) make sure parental controls isn't interfering quietly.

Cheers
Steffen.

SyncMan
6th February 2008, 05:38 AM
Roll on 10.5.2, maybe.

coljac
6th February 2008, 07:36 AM
OP said he's using the 10.5.2 RC.

What can you do, apart from report a bug I guess. Have you verified that other sites that should be blocked are receiving the popup message?

SyncMan
6th February 2008, 08:23 AM
OP said he's using the 10.5.2 RC.

Oops sorry missed that, my bad.