PDA

View Full Version : Running XP

Nevets_Anderson
5th February 2008, 08:50 AM
Ok finally I am in a situation where I do have to be Running XP on my mac! (Darn!)

the problem is I have so many ways I could do this (I own Parallels and Vmware)

So options are

Vm ware
Parallels
Bootcamp

vm ware - Bootcamp HD

Any one have any preferences and why?

Thanks

Oh yes I also forgot to ask - what version of the thing (xp) is best most stable?

andrew.wilson
5th February 2008, 08:53 AM
vm ware - Bootcamp HD

In my experiences with both programs, that is definitely your best option. I am sure quite a few users here will agree. :thumbup:

coljac
5th February 2008, 09:02 AM
Rebooting is a pain - definitely go with a VM solution if possible.

I vastly prefer vmware to parallels, the former has never crashed my Mac, the latter has managed it a few times.

Aa
5th February 2008, 09:26 AM
Vmware form a virtual machine rather than bootcamp for me. Performance and features suffer when run from bootcamp.

macpunc
5th February 2008, 09:29 AM
I run VMware, I like the unity ability.

XP pro service pack 2 plays nice, don't forget to have some kind of antivirus (AVG-antivirus), spyware and adaware, there are free versions available. Also have firefox as your browser.

cheers

macpunc

Currawong
5th February 2008, 09:33 AM
WMWare here. You can throw the HD image on an external drive for best results if needed too.

lazydesi
5th February 2008, 09:33 AM
+1 for Vm ware

inrainbows
14th February 2008, 10:38 AM
any chance i could get a link to this vm ware program?

how much does it cost? and will it allow me to run both OS parallel smoothly? would boot camp be alright just for occasional gaming?

thanks

Nevets_Anderson
17th February 2008, 10:15 PM
inrainbos - have a look at
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

I'm now running from vmware and a boot camp partition - performance is good on a MBP with 2 gig of ram

Thanks everyone for there imput

Nevets

Huy
17th February 2008, 10:18 PM
Wow, everybody here is a VMware Fusion fan. (as am I!)

Of all the posts here, my opinion is the same. Highly recommend Fusion/VMware.

It can be had for as low as $56 if you're an academic/student (use staticice.com.au to search). I use it in combination with the VMware image file, not Boot Camp. I don't use Boot Camp/hate restarts and I don't need 3D acceleration etc.

decryption
17th February 2008, 10:27 PM
Virtualization is the go for me. Unless you need to use it for CPU/GPU intensive stuff, VM's work great!

Windows games though - you should use Boot Camp.

bigdude101
18th February 2008, 07:18 AM
Oh yes I also forgot to ask - what version of the thing (xp) is best most stable?

Just get anything with SP2. Otherwise, Same $%@#, Different Packaging

HDK
18th February 2008, 07:27 AM
I can't get bluetooth working in vmware for a telstra camera phone. it's a zte580. My friends phone. Unless there's a fix, we're bootcamping it.

Granny Smith
18th February 2008, 07:28 AM
Been using a Mac the past two months in a PC-dominated environment. Running XP (SP2) and VMWare - it's brilliant. Never crashed (the Mac running VM is more stable than the PCs running Windows natively), integrates with all the PC apps and so on AND allows me to use Mac-specific software that the PC users just can't.

zmit
22nd February 2008, 02:37 PM
dont ya love it :D

i've been running parallels in a windows only environment at home too. windows plays nicer with other windows machines (when they work at all)
my mac networking is PURELY intermittent. (shared resources show up when they feel like it)

LarryH
22nd February 2008, 02:39 PM
+1 vmware fusion

you put in some information such as a username, password and a serial number and it automatically installs windows for you. Takes about 30 minutes on a base model alum. iMac

meinrosebud
22nd February 2008, 02:53 PM
Running windows Xp in a Virtual machine is good for the odd window-centric job, but if you are gaming then boot camp will deliver the level of machine response you crave.

Anga
25th February 2008, 01:01 PM
:confused:

Ok, this is probably a stupid question - but I'm so new to Mac's that I'm better to ask stupid questions I think !!

Do I need to buy a windows operating system to run VMWare Fusion?

If I do it seems like too much of an excessive cost just to run a couple of programs that I can just use on the parents computer when I visit them !!

dappleone
25th February 2008, 01:06 PM
:confused:

Ok, this is probably a stupid question - but I'm so new to Mac's that I'm better to ask stupid questions I think !!

Do I need to buy a windows operating system to run VMWare Fusion?

If I do it seems like too much of an excessive cost just to run a couple of programs that I can just use on the parents computer when I visit them !!

Yes.:p

Wally
25th February 2008, 01:55 PM
These sort of topics are getting a bit out of hand.. :(

I see one of the VMware vs parallels threads once a week, can they all be merged?

snark
25th February 2008, 02:47 PM
These sort of topics are getting a bit out of hand.. :(

I see one of the VMware vs parallels threads once a week, can they all be merged?
Time for someone clever to write a FAQ, and for that FAQ to be "stickied" at the top of the relevant forum...

Richard H
12th April 2008, 04:57 PM
With a MacPro and 4BG of ram there is a serious problem running boot camp.... Windows only recognises 2 BG out of the total 4 GB of RAM.

When I asked about this at the mac shop i purchased my Mac Pro they said it was a boot camp issue which apple should be updating in the future.

It is very dissapointing to have a mac with 4 gb of ram and only being able to utilise 2 gb of it while running winXP under bootcamp, especially since the only reason is to run games, being very ram demanding as they are.

Anyone else finding this problem too?

~Coxy
14th April 2008, 12:36 PM
With a MacPro and 4BG of ram there is a serious problem running boot camp.... Windows only recognises 2 BG out of the total 4 GB of RAM.

When I asked about this at the mac shop i purchased my Mac Pro they said it was a boot camp issue which apple should be updating in the future.

It is very dissapointing to have a mac with 4 gb of ram and only being able to utilise 2 gb of it while running winXP under bootcamp, especially since the only reason is to run games, being very ram demanding as they are.

Anyone else finding this problem too?

Unfortunately, they're wrong and they told you that because they're dumb and didn't know.
2GB is a limitation of 32 bit Windows XP. You can install 64 bit XP (highly unrecommended) or 64 bit Vista if you want to be able to access all the RAM.