PDA

View Full Version : macbook beginner seeking monitor recommendations (Melbourne)

lovelyliss
4th February 2008, 07:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm the proud mother of a brand new baby Macbook. I'd like to buy a 19" LCD monitor for when I'm working at home, preferably under $300. (But I'd be willing to spend a little more for quality/durability.)

What features should I be looking for in a good monitor? Also, what do I need to know in terms of compatibility? I know I'll need to get a DVI cable, but that's about it.

I'm not using the computer for anything fancy - I'm learning InDesign at the moment; otherwise it's just word-processing, itunes, surfing the net, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Dante Kyar
4th February 2008, 07:09 PM
Personally for your needs i'd just go for one of the cheapest ones there. Screen prices dont seem that high these days, and there should be one that will be perfect for you within your price range. You're probably the average 80% of the market for whom 80% of the screens will be made.

Just go down to your local computer store/office works that shows plenty of them on display and have a look at a few in action.

Brains
4th February 2008, 07:44 PM
You can do better than Ted's ... visit the world's ugliest website, http://www.msy.com.au, grab their PDF price list, pick an LCD to your tastes and budget, then head to one of the Melbourne MSY stores and pick one up.

If you're going to be doing InDesign work, you are going to need your displays to be colour-accurate, and the MacBook's screen is definitely not accurate when it comes to colour ... nor are most cheap stand-alone LCD screens, for that matter. I would start saving for a Colorvision Spyder2 screen calibrator, they can be had fairly cheaply.

geektechnu
4th February 2008, 08:56 PM
Inside a $300 budget you can even get Viewsonic or Benq 22".

lovelyliss
13th February 2008, 03:29 PM
thanks for the advice everyone!

got a good deal on a 19" acer monitor...

chocho
13th February 2008, 03:47 PM
which one's at MSY would be 8 or 6 bit processing. and which is the better choice?

thanks