PDA

View Full Version : Cd wont read on PC

designers_hub
14th March 2005, 04:12 PM
I never have problems using apple to burn one off CDs, but when I use the Disk Utility to make a multisession CD it will not read on a PC machine. It can be read on a Mac machine but no PC.

any clues?

hawker
14th March 2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@Mar 14 2005, 04:12 PM
any clues?
Unless there is something funky with the file formats of multi-session discs on a PC Vs. a Mac. I can see no reason why this should cause problems?

kit
14th March 2005, 05:29 PM
Macs don't always use the ISO9960 file system (CDFS) (they tend to use ISO/HFS+). Windows doesn't by default either, actually (it uses Joliet).

Try using a free disc burning program like YuBurner to burn it as an ISO9960 CD. Note that you'll lose Long filename support with that standard.

designers_hub
14th March 2005, 09:48 PM
Is there a way I can set the default standard format of burning? I hate it then mac just picks a format out of the hat and uses it.

In fact how do you set the all the standard formats for Mac OS to use? I mean its great that Macs work with everything but theres just too many formats.

what is a Long File name support?

kim jong il
14th March 2005, 11:10 PM
I do believe that long file name support allows you to give your CD a meaningful name (up to 30 characters) while ISO 9660 allows for only the 8.3 naming format e.g NEWCD.TXT or similar.

With the multisession thing I'll go out on a limb. I do believe that to burn a multisession CD for a mac that each 'session' will be a unique disk image. i.e. your computer sees the multisession CD mounted as a number of seperate images? Your PC will not recognise these unless it has the ability to mount mac CD images. Mac Help includes an important note: "some formats (including ISO) only allow one disk burning session. Others, such as HFS+ and Mac OS extended allow multiple sessions until the disk is filled." I'm guessing that your PC is unable to recognise the multisession mac CD file structure and that for cross platform compatibility you will need to use single session CDs.

kim

sikosis
15th March 2005, 01:55 PM
I see http://www.smart-projects.net/udf-reader.htm]ISOBuster (http://www.smart-projects.net/framepage.htm?[url) [/url] has support for HFS ...

"Built in HFS Reader supporting HFS and HFS+, the Apple Mac file systems."

also you might want to try the hfsutils (http://www.f.kth.se/~f96-bet/hfsutils/) ...

kit
16th March 2005, 09:52 AM
Just having read in the Disk Utility Help, it says the following:

When you burn a CD in the Finder, Mac OS X creates a disc in "hybrid" format that can be read by most computers, including Windows computers.

Insert a blank CD or DVD disc into the optical drive of your computer.
If a dialog appears, choose Open Finder from the Action pop-up menu and type a name for the disc. Then click OK.

If no dialog appears, click the title of the disc icon when it appears in your Finder window, and type a new name for the disc.
Drag files and folders to the CD (double-click the CD icon to open its window and arrange the files exactly as you want them before burning the disc). The names of files, folders, and the disc can't be changed after the CD is burned.
Choose File > Burn Disc.
Choose the burn speed and click Burn.

You can also drag the disc icon to the trash instead of choosing Burn Disc from the menu. The trash icon changes to a burn icon and you see the same dialog to choose the disc speed.

The disc contains these filesystems: HFS+, ISO-9660 with Rock Ridge, and Joliet with Rock Ridge.

It implies that burning from the Finder is fine, but from Disk Utility, or an image, you'll only get HFS+.

I choose to use YuBurner still, but it's nice to know they cater for everyone.

Just for clarification, long filename support is akin to the support for long filenames. So if you burn a disc under ISO-9960, with a file called "Autumn 2004 Stock Report for anyone interested.doc", it'll shorten it to "AUTUMN.DOC" (or some similar thing).

Long filename support was one of the big features in both HFS and FAT16 FSes. There was a big deal about it when Windows 95 was released.

gaehl
16th March 2005, 10:14 AM
I think you will find that long file name support was introduced with FAT32 not FAT16. FAT16 just supported larger drives than the original FAT.

And now back to our regular programing of "talking about Apples" :D

designers_hub
16th March 2005, 08:04 PM
I downloaded and used YuBurner VERY VERY nice program.

I really like it, simple and gets the job done.

Only done side no multisession Music CD, but I never make music CDs anyways. Who does?

Plus it can change the CD name even after you have burnt. I never knew you could do that!

geektechnu
16th March 2005, 08:52 PM
How many regular cd players play nice with multisession cds anyway?
I know the one in my car does - not in my sister's car tho :)

Ideally, if there's a chance that the cd will be played on a low-tech device you should aim for max compatability: single session + finalized disc = less problems.