PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate messages in Mail

Mike_sheree
4th February 2008, 10:56 AM
This morning I noticed some changes with mail. For some reason a copy of every email I send arrives in the inbox and I now have to double click each email to read it and it's in it's own box.

I haven't changed any settings (although I have 5 meddling kids).

Please tell me how to put it back. I don't like too much change

AusMac
4th February 2008, 11:06 AM
and your kids can access your account?

Well my son is allowed to but then he knows more about what he is doing in here than I do and he is trained to respect people's privacy.

Sounds like a preference has been altered and it may not have been your kids that did it.

Since I don't use mail I am not familiar with the preferences layout. However for it to be changed .. there must be a control.

From what you describe it sounds very similar to assigning each recipient a mail box and a place on the recipient list as well a a place on your mailing list.

Hamsmyth
4th February 2008, 11:12 AM
Sounds like someone may have checked this:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/tom_west86/Other/Email.jpg

Disko
4th February 2008, 11:16 AM
^^ To get to that preference pane from your Mail application, head to the menus and go: Mail > Preferences > then click 'Composing' in the toolbar.

AusMac
4th February 2008, 11:16 AM
yep that would do it.

avolve
4th February 2008, 11:25 AM
OT, but has anyone else noted mail being much slower of late (10.4.11) with regards to quitting??

It seems to hang for a very long time, sometimes requiring a force quit. This is happening on 2 diff machines...

[sometimes rules are not applied either]

Mike_sheree
4th February 2008, 01:19 PM
Yep that fixed it. Thanks. My kids can access my account because the computer ran VERY slow when I had multiple accounts and I couldn't figure out how to get the itunes and iphoto library on each account

AusMac
4th February 2008, 07:19 PM
Install for multiple users is what you do with third party software.
However all Apple software should be open to any account.
They should be able to access these things from the dock.

Question:
can i have all her mail accounts be seperate, using apple's mail program?
Answer:
Yes, like all apps on OS X, Mail uses the preferences set up for the active user, including mail account settings and such. It will "just work".

Question:
can she have her own safari bookmarks and preferences?
Answer:
Yes, for the same reason.

Mike_sheree
5th February 2008, 06:12 AM
Yes they have access to everything in the dock (and whatever apps I select) but the iphoto and itunes library arn't there. I put a copy into the dropbox but no luck

purana
5th February 2008, 06:23 AM
Yes they have access to everything in the dock (and whatever apps I select) but the iphoto and itunes library arn't there. I put a copy into the dropbox but no luck

It's actually pretty easy, I'll see if I can make a bit of time to write something up for this situation to assist you. Probably happen towards the end of the week. Little busy with work this week and a function tomorrow night for work.

EDIT: Quick and easy docs on how to do it below;

You should put the iTune library and the iPhoto library in the /Users/Shared location (not the dropbox location as you said you attempted to use).

Then logon as each user who needs to use these, and load iTunes and iPhoto, making sure you then tell each of these software packages that the iTunes and iPhoto library now exists in the shared location on /Users/Shared. Once done for all users, then it should work. As /Users/Shared is a directory in which every user on the mac who logs on can read/write. So it's the ideal place to put shared things like this.

Of course make sure that you don't have user switching enabled, and leave a user logged on with iTunes or iPhoto open. As when another users attempts to use these apps, then you will have 2 or more people using the same content which could cause real issues like corruption.

avolve
7th February 2008, 10:25 AM
Then logon as each user who needs to use these, and load iTunes and iPhoto, making sure you then tell each of these software packages that the iTunes and iPhoto library now exists in the shared location on /Users/Shared. Once done for all users, then it should work. As /Users/Shared is a directory in which every user on the mac who logs on can read/write. So it's the ideal place to put shared things like this.

How would this work (in iTunes for example) when one user adds new music? How would the other library file know this?

Redman
7th February 2008, 10:45 AM
How would this work (in iTunes for example) when one user adds new music? How would the other library file know this?

I gather that the itunes music library.xml would also be in this shared directory, therefore any additions or deletions would affect all users.

Edit: Essentially it's only 1 library file amongst all users

hiredgoon
7th February 2008, 11:58 AM
i have noticed bugs in mail since update as well.

it asks me everytime to re-type my password, and often gets my outgoing server name wrong... very annoying