PDA

View Full Version : G4 PB to plasma

landog
4th February 2008, 07:59 AM
Some simple questions.. i think.

I have a G4 PB, 1.8Ghz, running leopard, plugged into a cinema display.

Its about a meter and a half from my Denon AV - which is connected to the plasma through the wall (Hitachi 32 inch 1080i).

I would like to output it to the Denon, i guess a DVI to HDMI cable would be the right output?

Im just wondering if the PB could "keep up" with displaying on the plasma?

Basically what I would like to do is:
- Get an external 1TB HD plugged into the PB
- Put all my movies, music, pics on it
- Use front row to output to the plasma (through the Denon)

Appreciate any thoughts / advice

Cheers
Doggie

Galumay
4th February 2008, 08:07 AM
dunno how you will go with true HD output for the plasma, but certainly a PB will drive a TV thru composite/S video/Component/HDMI

i run a projector fine with the G4 PB, it displays a normal SD DVD beautifully, as I say I am not sure about true HD content.

ppops
4th February 2008, 08:15 AM
I have a G4 Powerbook and it struggles playing HD content. 720p is unwatchable.

I use an Xbox 360. Plays divx/xvid and works perfectly!!!

landog
4th February 2008, 08:29 AM
hmm i have a 360 as well. Perhaps I should just use connect 360 and run everything that way?

Problem is i love front row and what something like that on the screen 24 x 7 :(

Cheers

decryption
4th February 2008, 08:32 AM
Problem is i love front row and what something like that on the screen 24 x 7 :(

That's called AppleTV or a Mac Mini ;)

landog
4th February 2008, 08:35 AM
lol i know but im looking for a low cost solution

landog
4th February 2008, 08:37 AM
p.s. i assume the PB can do 5.1?

landog
4th February 2008, 09:01 AM
oh and so what cables do I need, bear in mind I want to output on both my cinema display AND plasma at the same time?

PB has a DVI out so do i need some form of splitter cable + a DVI to HDMI adapter + a HDMI cable.

Any thoughts on where to buy all these cables?

Thanks guys

Brains
4th February 2008, 12:07 PM
The PowerBook won't be able to display on both screens simultaneously for two reasons: 1) the two screens together exceed the maximum resolution of the PB's graphics chip, and 2) the only way you can display onto two external displays with a laptop is with a Matrox Dualhead2go (not cheap) and that's limited to using two identical-resolution screens.

If you want FrontRow on your big screen, you'll need to invest in an AppleTV or a Mini, or do away with the cinema display.

landog
4th February 2008, 07:22 PM
thanks brains. sounds like apple tv or xbox is the solution

Cheers