PDA

View Full Version : Lower slot memory failure on Al PB 15"

sfcoy
14th March 2005, 12:32 PM
My beloved 15" Powerbook locked up hard over the weekend.

I subsequently rebooted it and it started up without it's normal chime.

Today I noticed that I did not have access to quite as much RAM as I had a few days ago, and System Profiler claims that my botton RAM slot is empty.

I have a 1G stick in the upper slot and a 512M stick in the lower, so I swapped them around. Now the 512 was working and the 1G was ignored - lower slot still "empty".

A bit of research on the Apple discussion forums revealed this thread (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@355.3QuWamkxRM7.1@.68a8e9bb), so I am not alone.

Has anyone else experienced this? My Powerbook is 14 1/2 months old so I am wondering how things will go warranty wise. The aforementioned thread has mixed messages regarding this.

Steve C.

Buthidae
14th March 2005, 01:38 PM
I had the same problem with my 15" 1GHz alBook. After 2 new logic boards, it turned out there was a defect in the bottom case that was causing problems.

I don't know if yours is the same problem, but it's something to check out. Did you buy it on education? If you did you'll have 3 years warranty, otherwise you would have had only one

Currawong
14th March 2005, 09:37 PM
It's possible that the RAM is not sitting properly in the slots due to some kind of stress. I know I had to re-seat my Powerbook's RAM to get it all working properly. I'm guessing that the lower slot mount has solder issues or can lose contacts.

moo
14th March 2005, 10:19 PM
I've added RAM to my 1.5 AlBook without any issues (manufactured May 2004)

sfcoy
14th March 2005, 10:37 PM
I've had the DIMMs out and in a few times now, being careful to reseat them carefully. There's no go.

I did add the 1G stick a week ago and the machine was fine until Saturday when it just locked up completely - not even a kernel dump.

While I noticed the missing startup chime, I didn't miss the memory until today when I had to do real work.

One time when I started it up I got a pecular chime and the led on the latch blinked a few times.

This is consistent with some of the experiences of others in the Apple Discussions thread mentioned earlier.

So, I guess I'm hoping that this is some known problem that Apple will fix for free. I'm only a couple of months out of warranty.

I was also hoping that there was an Apple Tech here that might have heard of the problem and whether there was any resolution to it.

Steve C.

butters
24th March 2005, 03:34 PM
Well this problem has just occured with my 15" 1ghz Powerbook..

I took it to my local apple store and im getting a new logic board put in under warranty.

Same type of things where happening to me i would take out the ram and put it back in, it would register as being 2x256mb chips but then after about 5 minutes of use a system lock would occur.

Luckly for me it is in warranty until 2007.

Matt.

Byrd
24th March 2005, 05:44 PM
Have you checked for any corrosion etc. on the RAM pins, or the RAM slot itself - these can be cleaned with an isopropyl wipe (machine completely off, but plug it into the wall to provide an earth).

JB

onionhead
27th February 2006, 04:58 PM
Yup, I have the same problem. I am out of warranty, and the extend warranty from Apple does not cover my machine.

The old 15 is a bit of a lemon really, cracking/creaking hinges, floppy loose screen, underpowered USB ports, and now this. My 12in that I sold to finance this POS is still going strong. That'll learn me.

f1_power
27th February 2006, 07:39 PM
You may be eligible for this program.......

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303173

Follow the details on the site.

sfcoy
27th February 2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by f1_power@Feb 27 2006, 07:39 PM
You may be eligible for this program.......

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303173

Follow the details on the site.
Nup,

This program covers a very small subset of the affected machines. In fact most of this serial number range is still covered by the regular 12 month warranty.

Some users on the Apple Discussion forums have reported that Apple fixed their machine anyway, so I'm thinking of taking it in.

Steve C.