PDA

View Full Version : 10.4.11 Dock Problems...

TheMountainGoat
3rd February 2008, 02:09 AM
I have developed a problem with the dock on 10.4.11, that means that I cannot attach anything to it, and also remove anything from it.

The problem manifests with the fact that there seems to be the default dock configuration when I start OSX. And then I cannot change anything over or clear old programme icons.

I have tried the com.dock.apple.plist remove/erase/killall "dock" and that does nothing, as it is telling me that I am not the owner of the dock process, when clearly stated in Activity Monitor that I am (I am the only person with an account at present on the machine).

The problem started when I created a temporary account for my partner, as her machine was in the shop; and now it doesn't seem to respond to any type of input or configuration.

The only way I have managed to get the dock to some sort of working state was to hack the default.plist in the Dock application itself, otherwise I would have had the whole base of the screen taken up by question marks (even for things I don't have on the machine...)

Any one know how to solve this pain of a problem, apart from a clean install!!!

ClockWork
3rd February 2008, 05:24 AM
Is it possible that you've inadvertently renamed your Home folder?

TheMountainGoat
6th February 2008, 06:25 PM
Been there, and had a look. Not the problem. I have also found that this problem is not only limited to my account, but also the girlfriend's.

I have thought it is a corruption of the database that could be causing this; as some programmes are starting to mess up, without warning.

I'm thinking it may be worth my time to do a clean install, because of the programme errors. I have run some maintenance on the database (using OnyX) but that doesn't seem to help, so it may be time for the install disk!

oneplusone
6th February 2008, 06:50 PM
Before you do a clean install, make a fresh user account and see if the problem is still there....

You might also want to look at any apps you have installed recently..... good luck.

will
6th February 2008, 06:54 PM
I had the problem with my dock and 10.4.11:

I could not remove an icon from the dock, or move any item in the dock.

After reading forums and the like, I took the system preference folder and put it on my desktop. I re-started and then I could move, remove and add items to the dock. I put the system pref. back into the applications folder, re-started and all fixed!

TheMountainGoat
6th February 2008, 07:00 PM
Just tried the new user account, and that is the same... As for what Will suggests, then I'll give that a try, 'cos if it works, then that is a bonus. If it doesn't, it is not too much of a great problem.

I'll let you know how I get on.

TheMountainGoat
6th February 2008, 07:35 PM
I've tried what Will suggested, and nothing, it didn't work... The install disks are going to get it later!

The other thing that I have just noticed with this problem, is that when I had the activity monitor open, and dragged from the dock, or to the dock, it was reporting the process 'crashdump', so I am thinking that the dock is actually crashing and then restarting to a last know good state.

This, to me, suggests that the problem doesn't wholly lie with the dock... As for all the crap that I have built up on the hard drive, then a re-install seems a good idea. I may just drop 10.5 on the disk as well...

Thanks for all the help, guys, and I hope to be able to repay the favour in the future!