PDA

View Full Version : Importing .ics file problems

andrew.wilson
2nd February 2008, 09:35 PM
This is driving me mad. I have just started using iCal to try and sort my life out and keep track of dates instead of random sticky notes but am running into problems with this.

I am trying to export the .ics file of the 'Academic calendar' from my uni's website so I can add all the dates into iCal. Now it seems like their export system is all over the place with every time I try to save the file it being a whole bunch of different file sizes etc.

I am exporting it by going here:

http://www.uq.edu.au/events/calendar_export.php?option=export

Leaving the dates blank (to select the whole year) and selecting 'Academic Calendar' and then export in iCal format.

I open the file and iCal tells me 'This calendar file is unreadable. No events have been added to your calendar'. Same deal if I try to manually import it.

I downloaded Mozilla Sunbird and the same deal - just a bigger error message. I even tried in Outlook in Windows XP and still no joy. This made me think it was the uni exporting dodgy files. I decided to try again tonight and no joy still, but then I decided to try and open it in Entourage 2008 and to my surprise it worked.

My question is though, how do I get this into iCal either from the bloody website or by somehow exporting it from Entourage?

Thanks in advance for any help - this is driving me nuts!

iPirate
2nd February 2008, 09:43 PM
Tried complaining to the IT people at the uni? Perhaps it's all their fault. Why not input dates at the beginning and end of the year (like 1 Jan and 31 Dec and hope nothing's sheduled on those days if it's not inclusive :p )

andrew.wilson
2nd February 2008, 09:50 PM
Tried complaining to the IT people at the uni? Perhaps it's all their fault. Why not input dates at the beginning and end of the year (like 1 Jan and 31 Dec and hope nothing's sheduled on those days if it's not inclusive :p )

Haven't complained yet - trying to avoid that, our uni IT dept sucks pretty hard :rolleyes:

I tried the dates thing - still no joy.

Hopefully someone will have some luck with the file or tell me a way to export it from Entourage which I have it working in :confused:

Cheers

silverdreamer
2nd February 2008, 10:07 PM
Andrew, can the files from the "Academic" calendar be exported to the microsoft calendar thingy majig?

If so, I think you will be able to export them from there to ical, but don't shoot me if I'm wrong. i have clients on windows sending me appointments etc that open fine in ical.

zbaron
2nd February 2008, 10:14 PM
Edit the file, and remove the leading space on the first line.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
:rolleyes:

andrew.wilson
2nd February 2008, 10:27 PM
Edit the file, and remove the leading space on the first line.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
:rolleyes:

That worked perfectly!!! Thank you! :D

Stupid uni... :rolleyes: