PDA

View Full Version : Can i upgrade the 800mhz processor of my G4 silver tower

Cristina
2nd February 2008, 09:08 PM
Hi there, just found this site and am hoping for some light to be shed on some dilemmas with upgrading my home music sitch'. I have a beautiful old G4 that is running 10.3 and have just purchased a cool little Macbook (running 10.4.11). I have Brand new version of Cubase Studio (legit) and would like to know what the best thing is for me to do....

option 1: can i upgrade the processor on my G4 in order to install new Cubase
option 2: do i use the Macbook and transfer all my old Cubase, Reason and Live files, around 12 Gig of data (is there enough juice on the lappy to do this?)
option 3: is there a way to use both computers, as the old G4 has an extra internal 160 Gig harddrive and the old soundcard (i don't have a soundcard for the Macbook)

I really appreciate some advice on what to do here as I really don't have the expertise to navigate my way through this solo and i am slowly going crazy!!! Much tnx

ps The reason i posted here is, i was looking for help on 'target disk mode' as i am confused as to which computer is the 'Host' and which is the 'Target'?
If i want to transfer files from my G4 (as i want to install 10.4.11 and am worried i may lose my music) to my Macbook..... how best do i do this?

vicmeldrew
3rd February 2008, 06:50 AM
Hello and welcome,

can i upgrade the processor on my G4 in order to install new Cubase[?]

You can, but it is expensive. Other World Computing in the US probably have the best range of processor upgrades.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=153&type=Processor&TI=2123&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

is there a way to use both computers, as the old G4 has an extra internal 160 Gig harddrive and the old soundcard (i don't have a soundcard for the Macbook)

You might be able to network the computers with an ethernet cable and use the sound card, but I really don't know. If you want storage for your Macbook, 250GB SATA hard drives are now readily available and it is easy to to install yourself.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106658

i was looking for help on 'target disk mode' as i am confused as to which computer is the 'Host' and which is the 'Target'?
If i want to transfer files from my G4 (as i want to install 10.4.11 and am worried i may lose my music) to my Macbook..... how best do i do this?

Restart the Powermac holding down the letter "T" on the keyboard. You should get an orange screen with a firewire symbol screensaver. Connect a firewire cable between the 2 Macs and the Powermac will appear as a external hard drive on your Macbook.

You'll get more knowledgeable responses later today.

Byrd
3rd February 2008, 08:45 AM
Hi Cristina,

How does Cubase run on your G4 currently? Cubase 4 requirements are an 867Mhz G4, so it should run at a pinch. You can go crazy with getting high speed G4 upgrades for your Mac (OWC the best place as vic noted), but you might be better off investing in an external firewire sound card for your Macbook, and keeping your G4 as a secondary machine/file server. The Macbook will always be infinitely faster than your G4, whatever CPU upgrade you install.

With regards to worrying losing your music; backup now! Invest in a couple of external hard disks, one for your essential backup files (store this somewhere else in the house), back this up to DVD (twice!), and get a large fast external firewire drive for Cubase.

JB

Brewster
3rd February 2008, 09:21 AM
I have not run Cubase but I can tell you from experience with Garageband and Logic that the Macbook is much better for running your music software.

As the other posters have said you should get hold of 1 or 2 external drives with a firewire one for your music files. These threads are a good source of info on drives; http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=41002&highlight=external+drive+options
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=34169&highlight=external+drive+options
(or you could just buy an Icecube firewire/usb enclosure and save the reading).

I have a G4 tower I started doing music on and I don't use it at all for that now, the intel machines like your Macbook are great. If you can afford a new soundcard (like; $500 for http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=4 or similar) you can feel confidant that you can upgrade your computer in the future and keep your other sound gear.

And do backups of everything.

Currawong
3rd February 2008, 11:09 AM
I second the idea that it'd be more worth putting money into the MacBook. You can now get notebook hard disks that are close to desktop hard disk speeds, such as the Hitachi 7200rpm 200Gb SATA drive. This will be helpful for Music work, as will an external hard drive for storing and working on your audio files.

500Gb external Firewire drives are relatively inexpensive (avoid USB if you can for these). So are LCD displays. I use a MacBook Pro with an external monitor as a "desktop replacement" and with the options described above is fantastic - like having an iMac with the option of portability.

Cristina
3rd February 2008, 03:10 PM
Hi, thankyou so much for your help!!

Vic; the directions for 'Target Disk' worked perfectly, why do Apple leave out so many crucial 'bits' of advice, so often i really don't have a clue as to what they 'exactly' mean.

Byrd; i had been using Cubase 5.2 in OS 9 on my G4 and also Reason and Ableton Live, and they worked 'well' tho i recognized that i wanted things to work better and also be on the same system as anyone i would like to collaborate with. I admit i am a wee bit fearful of setting up my Macbook to run all the audio apps i had in the G4, as a wonderful friend did the dirty work for me. Setting up OMS and drivers etc....phew!! For the moment, i think i will store things on the G4 extra HD until i get an external one, what u think?

Brewster; i have tried to get Garage Band happening and each time i try to 'drag' a loop into the song, a window pops up telling me i have already initiated software update ( a month ago ) and that i need 2.1 gig of available space.....i don't understand this at all as my Macbook doesn't have anything on it other than what it came with ( excluding limewire, which i added way after trying Garageband ), what does this mean?
What do you think of using the internal sound of the Macbook for now, until i can get a soundcard?

Currawong; thankyou for the advice on which hard disk to get, is this something that is easy to install and what do i do with the old one?

As you all may realize i am on a HUGE learning curve, so again, muchas gracias, Cristina

Currawong
3rd February 2008, 04:45 PM
I put my old HD in an external case and use it as a spare for moving lots of files or storage.

Cristina
3rd February 2008, 04:50 PM
wow really! you can do that huh? That sounds like a great solution to get me out of the quicksand! Thanks Currawong