PDA

View Full Version : Image Writer/Mounter

Beau
2nd February 2008, 04:47 PM
Hi all.
I'm going to have a go at mounting an ISO file to use in Parallels in a few days, and was wondering if OSX (Leopard) can do this without any fuss? If not, I've also got Toast, which I believe can also mount images.

I'd also like to be able to create my own ISO images, and preferably have it show up as a drive (eg, burn a 'cd' in iTunes to the Image 'drive'). Any hints here?

Cheers,
Beau

forgie
2nd February 2008, 05:06 PM
You can mount ISOs in OSX by opening them. You can load them as virtual drives in Parallels through the app itself.

You can make ISO images using Disk Utility from memory... I know you can definitely do it from the command line at least. I think you have to choose "CD/DVD master" or something like that for the image format.

As for actually burning to a disk image, that's a whole different kettle of fish. You won't be able to do that with the built-in image functionality, but there may be a 3rd party utility/app that can do that.

What do you want it for? Are you trying to burn iTMS DRM songs onto a disc image, only to rip them again? Just go and buy a CD-RW and use that instead...

Beau
2nd February 2008, 08:16 PM
You can mount ISOs in OSX by opening them. You can load them as virtual drives in Parallels through the app itself.
Yeah, Parallels mounted the Linux distro fine when i tried it earlier. cheers.

You can make ISO images using Disk Utility from memory... I know you can definitely do it from the command line at least. I think you have to choose "CD/DVD master" or something like that for the image format.

After poking around, I couldnt find a way to make iso images. Was able to make a .dmg image, then convert it to a .cdr image. Still not what I was looking for.

As for actually burning to a disk image, that's a whole different kettle of fish. You won't be able to do that with the built-in image functionality, but there may be a 3rd party utility/app that can do that.
I was hoping that Toast would be able to, but havent found out as of yet!

What do you want it for? Are you trying to burn iTMS DRM songs onto a disc image, only to rip them again? Just go and buy a CD-RW and use that instead...
Bingo. I'm too cheap to buy CD-RWs :P, and they take too long.
I'm looking for something like Nero's Image Writer, which can only be accessed through Nero anyway.