PDA

View Full Version : 10.5.2 Another Friday Gone

Rodney9
1st February 2008, 07:56 PM
It was rumored last Friday, here we are, another Friday, and still no 10.5.2 update.

We need a update, I see on this forum iTunes crashes , Safari crashes and of course my bug in Mail.
Other forums , these problems amplify.

These are the core products, should they not work perfectly on all Apple machines ?

fiark
1st February 2008, 07:59 PM
ahh perfection, the ever elusive goal.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people install buggy software.

My mac runs perfectly and I use those programs every day - the point is I don't need to use anything else. The apple programs perfectly suit my needs. Perhaps if I used more 3rd party software then maybe I would have more problems.

iSlayer
1st February 2008, 08:04 PM
These are the core products, should they not work perfectly on all Apple machines ?

If we lived in a perfect world

Rodney9
1st February 2008, 08:17 PM
Maybe perfect was the wrong word but shouldn't the core ( Safari, Mail, Itunes etc) applications at least work with out crashes and as advertised.

iSlayer
1st February 2008, 08:19 PM
They seem to work just fine for most people. Never had a problem with any of them myself

jonnos
1st February 2008, 08:19 PM
friday has only started over in the usa? its only 2.21am?

Rodney9
1st February 2008, 08:24 PM
They seem to work just fine for most people. Never had a problem with any of them myself

You should have a look at this forum and also Apple's, you would realise that many do.

Meh 626
1st February 2008, 08:25 PM
You should have a look at this forum and also Apple's, you would realise that many do.

Leopard is a lucky dip, but it is strange it is all random???

Thanks,
Meh 626 :)

iSlayer
1st February 2008, 08:29 PM

There are always going to be bugs. There dont seem to be any critical ones that are affecting a significant number of users at the moment though. Just lots of minor(and maybe a few majors) ones that seem to affect a small number of users. Thats always going to be the case with any major piece of software

dotnet
1st February 2008, 08:33 PM
There's been a flurry of seeds lately and the second to last one looks pretty good. The only crash I'm getting (but consistently) is the bloody passphrase requester (to pull web and other passwords out of keychains). Fortunately it crashes *after* granting access to the keychain, but the fact that it happens every single time makes it quite annoying.

Just downloaded the latest seed, fingers crossed that this bug is fixed...

Cheers
Steffen.

Rodney9
1st February 2008, 08:46 PM
What is critical ? I would have thought crashes were.
I can't count the problems on this forum but there seems to be at least one every day for one of these three applications.

I just thought on a closed platform and with Apples renowned quality that that these bugs would not happen.

Apple's Forum Topics
Leopard - Topics: 10,675
Leopard Mail - Topics: 3,990
Itunes - Topics: 26,658

fiark
1st February 2008, 08:48 PM
Those numbers don't show anything. Only that people like to discuss those topics.

People don't post when everything is working fine, usually only when things are not.

The amount of threads displaying problems are therefore disproportionally represented.

If we all posted when everything was okay you would very rarely see the "I have a problem because I..." threads.

Rodney9
1st February 2008, 08:56 PM
They may be disproportionate, however these topics exist, they are not follow up messages.
They are people having problems, that is just under four thousand people having problems with Leopards Mail, who knows how many don't know to post.

Anyway I was just hoping for a update, seems no one knows, we are all happy mushrooms.

iSlayer
1st February 2008, 09:02 PM
that is just under four thousand people having problems with Leopards Mail, who knows how many don't know to post.

Not all 4000 of them are bug reports. And even if they were 4000 = 0.0008% of the 10.5 userbase and much much less of the total userbase.
Factor in how many duplicates, how many are simply user faults not bugs and how many are simply questions about how to do things etc....

I just thought on a closed platform and with Apples renowned quality that that these bugs would not happen.

It doesnt matter what platform or who is writing the code. Ask any developer and they will tell you all software has bugs

wilco440
1st February 2008, 09:04 PM
With Safari working at a snails pace, Mail constantly going offline, errors writing to both external hard drives, Time Machine not working properly, and several other annoyances despite two complete clean re-installs, I've reluctantly tossed leopard and gone back to 10.4.11.

I can't believe how smoothly everything is running again...

Gerbils
1st February 2008, 09:18 PM
I use Leopard and Mail and iTunes never crash on me. Safari does every now and then, but it always has... so has every other browser I've used.

Lutze
1st February 2008, 09:26 PM
Rodney:

10.5.2 will come out and if it fixes 1/3 of the "issues" you are having I'll eat my hat.

10.5.2 has critical issues to deal with - these are Apple's priority at this point. I'd peg release 10.5.5 for the issues you've described. As has been pointed out - and with your own figures - the number of people with issues with mail is a tiny fraction of the installed base. Not all of those people have the same problems as you.

One other thing - support forums have people with problems. As we've seen on this forum people don't see the same problem posted on page 2 so re-post.

I'll repeat the suggestion I made last time we were at this junction:

Backup your entire system > Roll back to 10.4.11

dotnet
1st February 2008, 09:37 PM
Just downloaded the latest seed, fingers crossed that this bug is fixed...

It isn't... :mad:

Cheers
Steffen.

kim jong il
1st February 2008, 09:52 PM
... errors writing to both external hard drives,...

Errors writing to external drives that don't occur in Tiger? Tell us about that one? It sounds really peculiar.

PS, I'm not trying to be smart. I'm interested.

silverdreamer
1st February 2008, 09:54 PM
ahh perfection, the ever elusive goal.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people install buggy software.

My mac runs perfectly and I use those programs every day - the point is I don't need to use anything else. The apple programs perfectly suit my needs. Perhaps if I used more 3rd party software then maybe I would have more problems.

I would go along with that.

STK
1st February 2008, 09:55 PM
friday has only started over in the usa? its only 2.21am?

yea it's not americas time yet :confused:

wilco440
1st February 2008, 10:16 PM
Errors writing to external drives that don't occur in Tiger? Tell us about that one? It sounds really peculiar.

PS, I'm not trying to be smart. I'm interested.

This one surprised me too, especially as one of the externals - a LaCie Porsche 160gig - was brand new and purchased especially for Time Machine backups.

TM worked fine for the first week or two, and then just starting giving me error messages. Despite erasing the thing several times, both under Leopard and a Powerbook running 4.10, Time Machine never would function again..... it chrned away each hour and looked like it was backing up, but only one or two (empty) folders ever made it over onto the Ext HD. The second Western Digital External contains my iTunes Library and once again functioned for a while before starting playing up. I couldn't write anything new to the thing, iTunes couldn't read the Library, and it would never unmount correctly (saying it was always in use, when no apps were evn running.).

Needless to say, both Hard Drives worked perfectly (and still do) connected to the Powerbook running 10.4.10, and now 11.

And I forgot to mention in my earlier post the dreaded grey descending curtain of death, which over the last couple of OS X updates I'd forgotten about completely. I think I've seen it three times since installing Leopard.....

The Fluffy Duck
1st February 2008, 10:29 PM
Well the fact remains more and more bugs are seeping into apple products. SOme even intentionaly so they can sell other products. This wasnt the case 3 years ago.

woofy
1st February 2008, 10:31 PM
Ours has worked fine, only prob has been Firefox crashing, but thats not Apples fault. It does seem the majority of probs are 3rd party stuff.

peajay
1st February 2008, 10:39 PM
no probs with leopard & 'core' software here the only crashes i experience are with microsoft office products, which seem to fall over every day or so. i'm looking forward to updating to office 2008 next week. could get worse...