PDA

View Full Version : hotmail won't open stuffit extension

louie
1st February 2008, 06:02 PM
I guess it's because stuffit has a 4 letter .stix extension and hotmail says it can't run a virus scan over it so you can't attach the file or open it.
anyone know a way around this? I can't find anywhere to set preferences to bypass virus scan in hotmail.
Is there a better compressor than stuffit?
thx,
Louie

adamd
1st February 2008, 06:10 PM
Right click on the file [or CTRL click], Select 'Create archive of "xyz"'.
Then send the newly created archive :)
Tis how I send batch files around at school :)
I love "helping" log people out of their computers on a window$ machine

louie
1st February 2008, 06:23 PM
I tried that and it turned it into a .zip file but still won't attach. I tried again deleting the .stix in the name but still no luck.
I have a gmail account as well and it will go from that. what's up with hotmail?
I don't think it's my computer that's a problem. I'm using Firefox on a Powerbook G4.
cheers anyway,
L

forgie
1st February 2008, 06:50 PM
Maybe you could try putting ".txt" on the end of the filename? That way Hotmail would scan it as a text file.

edit: the person at the other end would have to remove the ".txt" to open it properly.

louie
1st February 2008, 07:03 PM
No luck unfortunately.
The error message says the file could not be scanned for viruses because it is an unknown compression format. Why would stuffit be unknown? Why is hotmail insisting on scanning my attachments for viruses?
can I turn that off?
I'm gonna stuff stuffit.

forgie
1st February 2008, 07:43 PM
Zip is a more commonly used format anyway - I would use the built-in zip archiving in OSX. That way, ANY Windows, OSX or Linux user will be able to open your file with no exceptions.

louie
1st February 2008, 08:07 PM
wow, is that how it works! Thanks heaps. I just wanted to zip the files 'cos I'm applying for an OS job and have to attach lots of docs. I never knew about archiving - to me that word does not imply a zip file.
well, I have successfully attached and sent a test file even though it did take ages to load.
Much happier now,

louie
1st February 2008, 08:24 PM
and this probably makes complete sense to you, when I opened my test email to myself the default application to open the zip file was stuffit!

Meh 626
1st February 2008, 08:28 PM
Right click on the file [or CTRL click], Select 'Create archive of "xyz"'.
Then send the newly created archive :)
Tis how I send batch files around at school :)
I love "helping" log people out of their computers on a window$ machine

Damn my school blocked .exe's, batch files and all other fun things to mess with!!!!!

Sorry to Hijack
Meh 626 :)

geektechnu
1st February 2008, 09:36 PM
I'm gonna stuff stuffit.
A wise move. Apple stuffed Stuffit back in 2005.

Wally
1st February 2008, 09:57 PM
Why dont you use Gmail?

Hotmail smells bad.

louie
1st February 2008, 10:02 PM
you're right, I do have a gmail account as well. it's just the laziness of having to make the change on all my documentation, plus I find hotmail opens really quickly from internet cafes.