PDA

View Full Version : Good method for sharing files between iMac and laptop?

Trazoi
1st February 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I've just got my new iMac and am browsing the forum as I install software. This is actually my second Mac; I bought a MacBook Pro last year to get a taste of Mac OS X and I liked it enough to go for a Mac desktop. However I'm fairly new and somewhat ignorant about what Mac OS X can do.

Now I've got two Macs, I'd like to be able to keep my files synchronised between the two. I prefer working on a desktop when at home, but I take my laptop with me into the lab while I work on my PhD thesis. I'd like to work on files on my iMac, but continue to work on them with the MacBook Pro when away.

I can think of a number of ways I can do this; I could just transfer the files I'm working on to my USB hard drive every time I want to switch computers; but I was wondering if Mac OS X provides a simple painless alternative to doing this. Or if anyone had some better recommendations for a process for keeping my files in sync.

Thanks in advance,
David Shaw, a.k.a. "Trazoi"

Currawong
1st February 2008, 01:39 PM
There is a thread somewhere where people asked if there was an alternative to the Windows Briefcase, which is a good system. The simple answer was to use a backup/file sync program.

What I did when I had a G5 and a Powerbook was to hook the Powerbook up in Target Disk mode, where it behaves like an external hard drive) then I configured my user account on the G5 to use my home folder on the Powerbook. The downside of this was remembering to sync program versions.

arkenstone
1st February 2008, 01:43 PM
Shouldn't dot mac do this?

rpjallan
1st February 2008, 01:47 PM
I use this: http://nemesys2.dyndns.org:8080/FileSynchronization_EN.html

Currawong
2nd February 2008, 10:20 AM
Shouldn't dot mac do this?

No, it only syncs info such as your AddressBook, bookmarks etc. Can you imagine sync'ing GB of documents over the internet?

detail
2nd February 2008, 10:54 AM
What about an ethernet cable and Superduper?

That sounds cheap (ie free version will do it) quick and best of all complete.

Wally
2nd February 2008, 10:57 AM
How about using a wireless router and wifi on each computer?

mestevie
2nd February 2008, 11:02 AM
I have been learning about this recently in trying to work out the best way to use macbook and powermac.

When at home, I use the powermac as a server and keep all files on it.

When on the road, I just have a folder that i drag stuff into and then manually sync back at home.

not ideal but simple and effective.

Trazoi
2nd February 2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies; I'm trying a few things out to see how they go.

No, it only syncs info such as your AddressBook, bookmarks etc. Can you imagine sync'ing GB of documents over the internet?
In my specific case there's also the problem that I usually don't have internet connected to the MacBook Pro at the lab; I use wireless at home. But I would prefer a method that doesn't involve me sending gigs of stuff over the internet.

I have been learning about this recently in trying to work out the best way to use macbook and powermac.

When at home, I use the powermac as a server and keep all files on it.

When on the road, I just have a folder that i drag stuff into and then manually sync back at home.

not ideal but simple and effective.
That's actually close to the method I've been using for a few years, even back when I was using Win.XP as my main OS. It was mainly as a backup mechanism; I've got a folder named "Workspace" that contains everything I want to backup, and I then copy that across to my USB HD or burn it to CDs.

At the moment though my Workspace folder is getting pretty large now I've got some multimedia files in there, so takes quite a while to do the backups (and multiple CDs). I find the harder it is to backup or transfer then the more likely I'll forget to do it.

I'll keep using that method if need be, but at the moment I'm going to try out ChronoSync (http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ChronoSync/chrono_overview.html) for a bit and see if it makes my job easier.

mestevie
2nd February 2008, 11:16 AM
I'll keep using that method if need be, but at the moment I'm going to try out ChronoSync (http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ChronoSync/chrono_overview.html) for a bit and see if it makes my job easier.

That looks interesting, may try it myself.