PDA

View Full Version : iphoto and editing apps

alextdel
31st January 2008, 09:41 PM
When I try to edit a photo using a graphics program such as Fireworks I cannot see the list of photos that are in iPhoto. Do I have to have two copies of the file - one imported into iPhoto and one not?
I feel that I am missing something!!

iMac
31st January 2008, 10:10 PM
As far as I know, fireworks does not support this.

Perhaps try the Free Trial (http://apple.com/aperture) of Apple's Aperture, with that all you have to do is import the files into Aperture's library and away you go, after that you can export to a variety of formats and then work on them in Fireworks.

Hope that answers the question :)

gilligan911
31st January 2008, 10:24 PM
when you import a photo into iPhoto it sticks it in "iPhoto Library" in the picture folder so it is not seen readily in the finder. what should work is this - go to iPhoto preferences, select the "general" tab and change "edit photos in" to an external application - in your case Fireworks. Then when you select an image in iPhoto and edit it you will be taken to Fireworks but iPhoto will always keep an untouched original in the database.

If you don't want to be stuck with editing in Fireworks as your only choice go back to preferences and change is back to edit in full screen and then if you right click on a photo you will still have the option to edit in the external editor.

hope this makes sense.

alextdel
1st February 2008, 06:44 AM
go to iPhoto preferences, select the "general" tab and change "edit photos in" to an external application - in your case Fireworks.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks Gilligan911