PDA

View Full Version : Slow startup ... why? :confused:

ladybugspider
31st January 2008, 09:03 AM
Ever since i done my first Time Machine backup, my Mac takes like an extra 2minutes to boot up. After the apple logo screen, im stuck staring at the default wallpaper with nothing on it , not even the toolbar on top.
I tried turning off the external HD before turning on the Mac but its still the same.

This normal?

sectioneight
31st January 2008, 09:08 AM
Do you require a password to login? Can you see a spinning cog?

Try loading in verbose mode (CMD+V at startup) and see what it is hanging on

Byrd
31st January 2008, 10:30 AM
Check to see that your usual boot hard disk is selected, it might be looking for another drive.

System Preferences-->Startup Disk

JB

ladybugspider
31st January 2008, 12:37 PM
Do you require a password to login? Can you see a spinning cog?

Try loading in verbose mode (CMD+V at startup) and see what it is hanging on

no to both questions.

im using a powermac g5 so cmd + V doesnt doing anything for me since its for intel based macs only.

ladybugspider
31st January 2008, 12:38 PM
Check to see that your usual boot hard disk is selected, it might be looking for another drive.

System Preferences-->Startup Disk

JB

It is set to start up with the internal HD. =(

Currawong
31st January 2008, 01:47 PM
Command-v works with Mac OS X on any machine that can run it. You have to hold it down from the very start.

ladybugspider
31st January 2008, 02:50 PM
ah, i stand corrected >.<
guess i just fail at pressing it the first few tries =P

anyways, i should have asked earlier but what am i suppose to look out for in that wall of text? Is there any way to screenshot that part before it switches to stare-at-wallpaper-for-2-min-crap thing?

forgie
31st January 2008, 03:00 PM
If it stops after a particular "message" for a particularly long period of time. Like if it says "connecting to ethernet network en0 blahblahblah" and then stalls for a minute or two before continuing, then you have a clue as to what is slowing it down.

As an aside, how much free hard disk space do you have on your internal HDD?

ladybugspider
31st January 2008, 03:08 PM
it didnt stop long enough for me to read the entire last line though ...

i used to have like 1gb of internal HD left before i got my external one. Now its 55gb free outta 150gb and like i said before, this slow start up thing started only after i finished my first Time Machine backup. /cry