PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook screen problem

doofus
29th January 2008, 08:51 PM
I have just bought a 12" powerbook G4 1.5 which was described as in terrific condition.
It does look great, however the Lcd screen has bright blotches near the center.
They are really annoying and as you can imagine I'm "not happy Jan".
I have sent an email to the seller stating the problem and await his reply.
Can anyone offer some explaination as to what may have caused this problem and if there are any solutions available.

doofus
30th January 2008, 04:24 PM
Anyone got any ideas? How much would it be to have the screen replaced. It's not a job I fancy doing myself though.

BLINDER
30th January 2008, 04:29 PM
Jscreenfix (http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php) is a product that might (emphasis on might) help.
Give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

Huy
30th January 2008, 04:51 PM
Is it under warranty?

Check.

Plug the serial into here:
www.apple.com/support
Right hand side: Check My Warranty and Repair Options

peajay
30th January 2008, 04:56 PM
i have personally noticed 'white blotches' which develop over time, on the screens of various ibooks i've had, and on my current powerbook 12" ... i recall it first developed on a 2001 14" ibook a year or two into its life, and at the time i freaked out but remember it being a common experience. i did a bit of research and discovered that other ibook owners were seeing the same thing. i can't remember what caused it, but there were a couple of likely explanations going around.

my current powerbook has 2 or 3 'white blotches' that are very apparent and are definitely not stains that can be removed ...

i would suspect that your blotches might be similar? are you able to put a photo up? anyway, you might not want to jump to conclusions about the seller.

louie
3rd February 2008, 08:28 AM
My daughter's imac (sorry can't remember exact model) had the screen go totally. She was going to throw it away but I googled the problem and that's how I first found this site! It was on a recall from Apple for a faulty whatever it is that makes the screen work and she took it to an Apple shop and they put the new card in for free - check your model/serial number on an Apple site first.

applecollector
3rd February 2008, 08:59 AM
My 12" PB has 2 small whitish blotches as well.
One was their when i bought it when it was still under warranty (stupid me should have got it replaced) and another appearing about a year ago. Mine are around the centre too but can't really be seen.

leon
3rd February 2008, 09:23 AM
No software will fix the white blotches as they are the result of uneven backlighting (which is hardware). You will just have to learn to live with it.

chocho
3rd February 2008, 09:23 AM
it was a common problem with revision 'a' and 'b' powerbooks, especially with the 15'' model! the screens were repalced by apple, in thesame manner as the battery replacement program... if you still have waranty you can have the screen replaced, if not there still may be something you can do via the apple support site.... just do some investigating, you never know your luck..

doofus
3rd February 2008, 09:44 AM
It seems they have a repair program in place for the early 15" powerbooks. This is the same problem that my 12" powerbook is suffering from.
http://www.apple.com/au/support/powerbook/displayprogram/