PDA

View Full Version : Pre-G4 PowerBooks for Text Editing?

Harry Pearce
29th January 2008, 03:01 PM
I am currently looking for a very very inexpensive PowerBook for purely writing and editing text documents while I am away from my main machine. The word processing I am doing is very simple i.e. .txt files and I would need to later transfer them back to my iMac. I'll only need a word processing program and a means of transferring files to my iMac; anything else is not wanted.

I think I would have to use AppleWorks if I was using anything other than OS X. Is there something like TextEdit in the older OSes? To transfer files USB or FW would be great but I wouldn't be fussed using floppies and buying a USB-Floppy Adapter. (Do they exist?)

Doing some research on my own I think the Pismo would be my best option as it has USB and FW, and can run OS X. I could also transfer files over the internet if I connected it up. Next would be the PowerBook 2400c for its small size coupled with the external floppy drive. And another option is the PowerBook 1400, which can handle floppies and run OS 9. I'm not as warm to the idea of the clamshell iBook as any of the above because of it's relative size and weight.

Obviously, if you know something about older Powerbooks you won't need any of the information above, so what do you suggest I get?

bigdude101
29th January 2008, 03:08 PM
This seller (http://computers.search.ebay.com.au/_Computers_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ160QQsassZitstude nt1) has a few 1400cs' for sale on eBay from 25-45. I say it's not worth it because if you're like me, you'll get sick of it and throw it to the dump.

benixau
29th January 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm about to sell my old PB 1.5GHz soon - once I've cleaned it out and moved everything to my new MBP. PM in a day or two, I'll be looking for about $850

spargo
29th January 2008, 03:30 PM
I've got a very good condition PB 15" for sale here. (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=36891) It's a bit more than what you mentioned you are willing to spend, but you may want to consider spending a tad more for something that can do a bit more and will last a bit longer.

Let me know if you are keen, or make an offer in the thread..

Bart Smastard
29th January 2008, 03:58 PM
I think it's a shame Apple don't make the little notebooks any more.

The Duo 2300c/100 with 9.5" LCD and the 2400c/180 with a 10.4" weighed less than 2kg and were/are perfect sizes for tasks such as word processing and a web browsing.

Interestingly, the 2400c/180 was discontinued in March 1998, maybe 2008 will see the return of the little notebooks... the demand sure is there.

Of course, none of this answers your questions. Sorry :(

Andrew T Chadwick
29th January 2008, 04:26 PM
I think it's a shame Apple don't make the little notebooks any more.

The Duo 2300c/100 with 9.5" LCD and the 2400c/180 with a 10.4" weighed less than 2kg and were/are perfect sizes for tasks such as word processing and a web browsing.

Interestingly, the 2400c/180 was discontinued in March 1998, maybe 2008 will see the return of the little notebooks... the demand sure is there.

Of course, none of this answers your questions. Sorry :(
One of the reasons that apple along with other manufacturers made laptops and sceens that size was that anything bigger was prohobitively expensive,difficult to make and hard on the puny nicad batteries.I once owned a PB 140 with 16 shades of grey and while it was a good place to start i would recomend nothing less than a G3 ibook or a G4 power book.:)

Brains
29th January 2008, 05:03 PM
I'd say anything from the Wallstreet upwards. A Pismo is also a good choice, the catch with both older G3's is you either have to put up with Mac OS 8.6/9.x or ensure you have enough RAM to run OSX.

The Wallstreet has arguably he nicest keyboard to type on I've ever encountered, the Pismo is almost as good. With both machines, if you can source a second working battery you can run with both batteries and get 8 hours or more from a full charge.

I'm not aware of any free RTF-capable text editor for pre-OSX, but BBEdit's TextWrangler (a brilliant text-only editor) is free, and they still have a version for pre-OSX available for download.

jerrah
29th January 2008, 05:54 PM
Depending on what your budget is I'd consider the Asus eeePC. (http://eeepc.asus.com/global/)

Sure it doesn't run MacOS but:

It's new
Small (7" screen) and portable
Light (under 1kg)
$499
Solid state so should be pretty reliable.

I've had one for a few months before they were released in Australia and although the keyboard feels a bit cheap I've found it works fine for writing and has the added benefit of built in WiFi etc.

They come with Xandros Linux by default but you can install another distro or even Windows on it if you desired to. So it's flexible and can run pretty much any text editor you could find for Linux or Windows.

I believe they sell them in Myer and a few other stores around the place if you wanted to look at them.

LarryH
29th January 2008, 06:42 PM
There is definitely a TextEdit-like program, and if there isn't i'm sure there is a open source alternative.

Depending on what your budget is I'd consider the Asus eeePC. (http://eeepc.asus.com/global/)

Sure it doesn't run MacOS but:

It's new
Small (7" screen) and portable
Light (under 1kg)
$499
Solid state so should be pretty reliable.

I've had one for a few months before they were released in Australia and although the keyboard feels a bit cheap I've found it works fine for writing and has the added benefit of built in WiFi etc.

They come with Xandros Linux by default but you can install another distro or even Windows on it if you desired to. So it's flexible and can run pretty much any text editor you could find for Linux or Windows.

I believe they sell them in Myer and a few other stores around the place if you wanted to look at them.

There is a hack that someone made, i'm not sure, but click here (http://eeehackers.com/2007/11/16/os-x-leopard-on-the-eee-pc/) for more info.

Harry Pearce
29th January 2008, 06:58 PM
So the PowerBook Duo 2400c/180 and the WallStreet/Lombard/Pismo would be my best options? Would there be any Duos still floating around?

EDIT: Thank you everyone for your replies. :thumbup:

neoxide
29th January 2008, 07:29 PM
Hmm, I know this would be almost useless to you if you want to easily transfer your files to another computer, but I find a PowerBook 100 is the best thing I've used for typing.

You only get basic office stuff - I use Microsoft Word 5 and MacWrite II on System (MacOS) 7.1 - and the screen is 1 bit, but I find it so easy to type when creativity hits. And it's small. I don't need to transfer files often, but I do it through AppleTalk and print stuff. You could theoretically work it with an iMac...

Plus I don't think you should run OS 9 on a PB1400, as it goes verrry slowly. I recommend 7.6.1 or 8.

Currawong
29th January 2008, 08:13 PM
You might want to hunt down an old G3 iBook. The last one I had, a 500Mhz 12" model was rock-solid. They'll also run 10.3 or 10.4 fine.

Byrd
29th January 2008, 09:35 PM
So the PowerBook Duo 2400c/180

There are only a handful of 2400c machines available in Australia, so no chance you'll get one cheap or at all I'm afraid.

Pismos are overpriced, Wallstreets good solid but fairly chunky. I second Currawong's idea of getting an iBook 500 - good keyboard, decent-sized screen and capable of running OS X with a good amount of RAM (640MB).

JB

shorebuck
29th January 2008, 09:38 PM
my pismo runs 10.3.9 fine, and even office 2004 works ok. textmate 1.5 runs no probs.

i have 256mb in it.

Andrew T Chadwick
30th January 2008, 09:53 PM
There are only a handful of 2400c machines available in Australia, so no chance you'll get one cheap or at all I'm afraid.

Pismos are overpriced, Wallstreets good solid but fairly chunky. I second Currawong's idea of getting an iBook 500 - good keyboard, decent-sized screen and capable of running OS X with a good amount of RAM (640MB).
JBI agree wholeheartedly,anything older than a titanium may be getting a little long in the tooth.:)

stewiesno1
30th January 2008, 10:09 PM
A base level Pismo or Lombard G3/400 from ebay would cost about $100-$150 , add in a faster bigger HD for $70 and more Ram $100 -$150.They both have USB1 but the Pismo has Firewire as well. A USB2 PC card is only $20. All up for less than $400 to run OS 10.3 -10.4. Sweet ! Use this as a guide only.You may get an even better deal off these forums.

You would still be able to run OSX with 128mb Ram but OSX would be slow even just text docs.
I use a Pismo and Lombard running OS10.3 and all I use them for is invoices and other text based docs and they are great.

Stewie

stewiesno1
27th May 2008, 10:51 AM
So tell us lonestriker. What did you end up getting? Curiosity has gotten the better of me.
Again !:D:D:D

decryption
27th May 2008, 10:56 AM
The eeePC is hopeless for text editing, that keyboard is far too tiny for touch typists.

A 12" G3/G4 iBook would be ideal :)

LCGuy
27th May 2008, 01:08 PM
I'd go with either a 1400 or 3400, personally. :) If you go with the 1400 though, make sure you get a 1400c, and not a 1400cs. The c has a rather nice active matrix display, the same technology as that used on current laptops. The cs has a dual scan display that will drive you up the wall.

Thunderstruck
27th May 2008, 03:51 PM
Go with an iBook G3 or G4, fill it with Mac OS 9 if you're just after text editing with little access to the net, or find a set of Panther/Tiger install discs if you want the net the modern way (plus other goodies that come along with them). Make sure to bump the (now very expensive) RAM for those machines if you choose Mac OS X.

A Black PowerBook G3 would also be nice and cheaper.

oneplusone
27th May 2008, 06:12 PM
<2c>

My Pismo is running 10.4.11 with absolutely no problems at all.

I do have 1GB of ram in it though. There can be picked up for about $200-$400 these days.

But they do not have a CD/DVD burner. (and some don't have wireless)

To max ram and put in a burner would set you up to $200-$300 again.

wireless is between $60 and $100

So you might be looking at between $400 and $800, for which i'm sure you could puck up an early G4 PB of an iBook....

</2c>

applecollector
27th May 2008, 06:14 PM
I use my iBook G3 900Mhz 640MB Ram running 10.4.11 daily for all different tasks does the job well.
It's a solid 12"

Harry Pearce
27th May 2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I decided that I would wait for a new Macbook to replace my iMac, instead of having to deal with two separate machines.

Wayen Connor
28th May 2008, 08:04 AM
Don't go for the macbook, the previous model Aluminium powerbooks are faster and more reliable.

The 15 inch ones are a beautiful design internally, (with the 12 inch ones everything is packed in a bit tightly.) I have a last of the series 15inch powerbook, and its a solid beast, and definitely faster than the current macbooks, I'm planning n keeping it a while till the macbook pros drop to under $1000 on the second hand market. So unless you can afford a macbook pro, I'd go for a second hand Aluminium powerbook.

countryslicker
28th May 2008, 08:40 AM
Totally agree with Wayen!

Instead of a MacBook, I recently bought one of the last G4 1.67 Powerbooks - 15", hi-res display, dual layer burner, better video. Perfect with Leopard. An extraordinary Mac that can be bought for between $600-$900.

I have an old G3 Wallstreet still working (with Tiger) but I won't be selling it for a few moths yet. Otherwise perfect for your needs.

Don't go for the macbook, the previous model Aluminium powerbooks are faster and more reliable.

The 15 inch ones are a beautiful design internally, (with the 12 inch ones everything is packed in a bit tightly.) I have a last of the series 15inch powerbook, and its a solid beast, and definitely faster than the current macbooks, I'm planning n keeping it a while till the macbook pros drop to under $1000 on the second hand market. So unless you can afford a macbook pro, I'd go for a second hand Aluminium powerbook.

jerrah
28th May 2008, 08:41 AM
This hasn't been my experience with the current Macbook computers? Do you have figures to back your claim?

SR Macbook 2.2 (http://www.barefeats.com/mbook3.html) seems to be very close to the MBP for performance unless you're talking about 3d games.

LCGuy
28th May 2008, 08:54 AM

What MacBooks are you talking about? Yes, the original Core Duo ones weren't that flash as far as reliability goes, but the Core 2 Duo ones do have a much better track record. My late 2007 MacBook just turned 6 months last week, and it is a brilliant machine. :) If you can afford it, defininitely go for the MacBook, you won't regret it. As great as the PowerBook G4s are, I personally wouldn't want to spend too much on one, seeing as though they are dead-end tech these days. :(