PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro keeps randomly rebooting, freezing

Trazoi
28th January 2008, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been having tremendous problems with my MacBook Pro (15", Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 1GB ram). While it was originally working fine, last year the backlight in the screen burnt out. I had the local Apple repair guys replace it for me, but since then my laptop has been plagued with crashes. It's usually fine for several hours, but then it will abruptly either instantly reboot, or the backlight will go out (and I think the computer freezes; it's hard to tell with the screen so dark!)

I've had the Apple repair guys look at it several times, and every time they've said they've fixed it the problem remains. First they replaced the hard disk, second time they installed Leopard instead of Tiger and said the change in OS fixed the problem. It might be more stable under Leopard, but it's still crashing. It doesn't seem to be when I do anything either; sometimes it's after extended use, sometimes it's almost immediate, sometimes it's when it's hot and sometimes it crashes cold.

My laptop is still under warranty (I've got Apple Care), so I can return it again, but my laptop has been away for eight weeks. I really want to have it with me as I write up my PhD thesis dissertation, but I can't rely on it if it keeps rebooting intermittently! I also don't want to check it in for repairs if all that means is I'll lose it for another fortnight and get it back with the same problems (although it's reaching the point that I'll put pressure on a replacement machine; I really need a laptop for my thesis).

Does anyone have any suggestions what the problem could be? I really want to get the problem fixed so I can use my laptop.

Thanks in advance,
David Shaw, a.k.a "Trazoi"

Wally
28th January 2008, 12:25 PM
Tried Resetting the Power Manager / Zapping PRAM / Repairing Permissions?

I doubt any of those will solve the issues completely. The best idea would be to ring up apple and ask very nicely for a replacement and explain what you need the machine for!

For the record, Im pretty sure its the thermal paste issue.

Good Luck!

HDK
28th January 2008, 12:31 PM
It's really for a technician this problem. You can only get more guess work for an issue like that from a forum.
If you keep taking it back with the same problem, you might get lucky and have Apple replace it with a new one. Just keep taking it back hopefully you have a spare machine to do your thesis on.

Trazoi
28th January 2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the reply; I'm not sure if repairing permissions would make much of a difference as the OS install is new. I got my laptop back only a few days ago with a wiped hard disk and new OS (thankfully I keep backups). Although admittedly the crashes only started after I copied the backups back to the hard drive, but I don't see how they could be causing crashes. (Sorry, I'm rambling...)

I can try zapping the PRAM though; I had to look that up, but it doesn't look difficult. I'm fairly new to Mac OS; this is my first Mac computer and I only bought it a year ago.

The only other thing I can think of is faulty RAM, but I'd have thought that would cause a whole range of problems rather than just the two symptoms I've seeing. But I'm not an expert at RAM crashes.

Trazoi
28th January 2008, 12:41 PM
It's really for a technician this problem. You can only get more guess work for an issue like that from a forum.
If you keep taking it back with the same problem, you might get lucky and have Apple replace it with a new one. Just keep taking it back hopefully you have a spare machine to do your thesis on.
The problem with this issue is that it's not very repeatable. It only seems to happen every few hours or so. Thus it's hard to show a technician what the problem is. But you're right; I suppose from just a text description it's hard to offer more than guesses.

I'm buying a new iMac soon so I've got a desktop that can run Mac OS, so at the least I'll have a working computer I can use. I'll see if I can get a replacement laptop as this particular model has been plagued with issues.

Thanks again.

silverdreamer
28th January 2008, 12:57 PM
I seriously think you should be pushing for a replacement machine.

Once in for repairs is fine, but multiple visits without result?,... I would want a replacement.
Ring Applecare, but make sure you have your full service history, receipts and any report sheeets etc handy . Go right through it with a senior rep, and see what can be done. Keep your cool. and make them understand your situation.

Trazoi
28th January 2008, 01:12 PM
I seriously think you should be pushing for a replacement machine.

Once in for repairs is fine, but multiple visits without result?,... I would want a replacement.
Ring Applecare, but make sure you have your full service history, receipts and any report sheeets etc handy . Go right through it with a senior rep, and see what can be done. Keep your cool. and make them understand your situation.
Thanks; I'm pretty sure you're right. It's already been in for this particular problem twice. I can understand why the techs assumed they'd fixed the problem; the computer runs fine until it just suddenly reboots. But it's incredibly annoying as there's no warning and it's hard to work when you're always in fear of the computer suddenly restarting.

I was thinking of bringing it up with the local techs again, but it probably is time to ring AppleCare since that's what it's for.

HDK
28th January 2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks; I'm pretty sure you're right. It's already been in for this particular problem twice.

Ah, well twice may not be quite enough to justify a replacement just yet.

kim jong il
28th January 2008, 01:24 PM
Do the log files tell you anything of the computers behaviour if you check them after the restart?

Trazoi
28th January 2008, 02:09 PM
Ah, well twice may not be quite enough to justify a replacement just yet.
Possibly, although this particular laptop has been in for many other reasons. Unfortunately it's been playing up at the time I need it the most.

Do the log files tell you anything of the computers behaviour if you check them after the restart?
Good point; I haven't checked them. Next time it reboots I'll check them and see if there's a specific culprit. It would be really nice if the problem was software rather than hardware; that way it's something I might have a chance to fix.

themessup
28th January 2008, 02:14 PM
I hope when I get my MacBook Pro it doesn't have problems...

Trazoi
28th January 2008, 02:20 PM
I hope when I get my MacBook Pro it doesn't have problems...
I think I just had bad luck with this one. The screen started developing a whole bunch of dead pixels and had to be replaced, then the next screen had the backlight blow out, and just after the backlight was replaced I had this rebooting/freezing problem. Unfortunately with this latest problem it's been in and out of the repair store constantly since the start of December.

themessup
28th January 2008, 02:26 PM
I think I just had bad luck with this one. The screen started developing a whole bunch of dead pixels and had to be replaced, then the next screen had the backlight blow out, and just after the backlight was replaced I had this rebooting/freezing problem. Unfortunately with this latest problem it's been in and out of the repair store constantly since the start of December.

Well that sucks! Hopefully you can get the whole system replaced. Good luck

Currawong
28th January 2008, 06:04 PM
If it's freezing, there might be a log of what's going on. If, after you reboot the machine, it asks you if you want to report the freeze to Apple, click on "Report..." and cut and paste the report to a web page we can view. It might tell us what's borked.

Trazoi
28th January 2008, 06:53 PM
If it's freezing, there might be a log of what's going on. If, after you reboot the machine, it asks you if you want to report the freeze to Apple, click on "Report..." and cut and paste the report to a web page we can view. It might tell us what's borked.
Fortunately, my laptop has been well behaved today after the reboot-crash problems. Unfortunately that means I can't remember exactly when they took place. There wasn't a report screen after I rebooted; it just froze again the first time. The second time it worked.

I wouldn't be surprised if this particular bug was a software one, however the crash I had yesterday involved the backlight going out; you could see the outline of the windows on the screen, but nothing else. It was hard to know if the computer was frozen or not; I tried activating the screensaver but it didn't change anything.

Here's the bit of the log file that I think includes the time of the freeze:

28/01/08 11:59:48 AM com.apple.launchd[84] ([0x0-0x31031].com.apple.TextEdit[438]) Exited: Killed
28/01/08 11:59:52 AM com.apple.launchd[84] (com.apple.coreservices.uiagent) Throttling respawn: Will start in 3 seconds
28/01/08 12:30:28 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled. No checking performed.
28/01/08 12:30:28 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] fsck_hfs: Use the -f option to force checking.
28/01/08 12:30:30 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
28/01/08 12:30:30 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.adobe.versioncueCS3) Unknown key: ServiceDescription
28/01/08 12:30:30 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
28/01/08 12:30:30 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
28/01/08 12:30:57 PM org.ntp.ntpd[15] Error : nodename nor servname provided, or not known
28/01/08 12:31:16 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[68]) Exited: Terminated
28/01/08 12:31:16 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[79] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init_per_user.d/com.adobe.versioncueCS3.monitor.plist
28/01/08 12:31:32 PM com.apple.launchd[76] (0x100fa0.VersionCueCS3monitor) Failed to check-in!
28/01/08 12:50:44 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[207] objc[207]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Contrast.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Contrast and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Geometry.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Geometry. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Geometry.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Geometry.
28/01/08 12:50:44 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[207] objc[207]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Geometry.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Geometry and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/VPT.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/VPT. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/VPT.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/VPT.
28/01/08 12:50:45 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[207] objc[207]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/VPT.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/VPT and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Bezel.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Bezel. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Bezel.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Bezel.
28/01/08 12:50:45 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[207] objc[207]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Bezel.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Bezel and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/ExtendedTouchSwitch.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/ExtendedTouchSwitch. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/ExtendedTouchSwitch.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/ExtendedTouchSwitch.
28/01/08 12:50:45 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[207] objc[207]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/ExtendedTouchSwitch.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/ExtendedTouchSwitch and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/PowerMode.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/PowerMode. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/PowerMode.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/PowerMode.
28/01/08 12:50:45 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[207] objc[207]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/PowerMode.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/PowerMode and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Authorization.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Authorization. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Authorization.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Authorization.
28/01/08 12:50:45 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[207] objc[207]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Authorization.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Authorization and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/TVOptions.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/TVOptions. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/TVOptions.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/TVOptions.
28/01/08 12:51:07 PM [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.systempreferences[209] objc[209]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Contrast.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Contrast and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Geometry.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Geometry. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Geometry.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Geometry.
28/01/08 12:51:07 PM [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.systempreferences[209] objc[209]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Geometry.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Geometry and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/VPT.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/VPT. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/VPT.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/VPT.
28/01/08 12:51:07 PM [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.systempreferences[209] objc[209]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/VPT.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/VPT and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Bezel.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Bezel. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Bezel.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Bezel.
28/01/08 12:51:07 PM [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.systempreferences[209] objc[209]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Bezel.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Bezel and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/ExtendedTouchSwitch.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/ExtendedTouchSwitch. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/ExtendedTouchSwitch.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/ExtendedTouchSwitch.
28/01/08 12:51:07 PM [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.systempreferences[209] objc[209]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/ExtendedTouchSwitch.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/ExtendedTouchSwitch and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/PowerMode.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/PowerMode. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/PowerMode.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/PowerMode.
28/01/08 12:51:07 PM [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.systempreferences[209] objc[209]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/PowerMode.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/PowerMode and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Authorization.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Authorization. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Authorization.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Authorization.
28/01/08 12:51:07 PM [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.systempreferences[209] objc[209]: Class O3Panel is implemented in both /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Authorization.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/Authorization and /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/TVOptions.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/TVOptions. Using implementation from /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/TVOptions.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/TVOptions.
28/01/08 1:00:06 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled. No checking performed.
28/01/08 1:00:06 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] fsck_hfs: Use the -f option to force checking.
28/01/08 1:00:09 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
28/01/08 1:00:09 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.adobe.versioncueCS3) Unknown key: ServiceDescription
28/01/08 1:00:09 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
28/01/08 1:00:09 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
28/01/08 1:00:25 PM org.ntp.ntpd[14] Error : nodename nor servname provided, or not known
28/01/08 1:00:33 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[63]) Exited: Terminated
28/01/08 1:00:33 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[75] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init_per_user.d/com.adobe.versioncueCS3.monitor.plist
28/01/08 1:00:35 PM com.apple.launchd[72] (0x100fa0.VersionCueCS3monitor) Failed to check-in!
28/01/08 1:01:06 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not fetch history: Cannot allocate memory
28/01/08 1:01:06 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not stop cache/fetch history: Cannot allocate memory

If it occurs again, I'd have a more accurate log. Sorry about that. Thanks again for all the help.

Trazoi
29th January 2008, 07:44 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been using my laptop fairly extensively today without any issues. It's possible I overreacted to the couple of crashes I had a few days after getting my laptop back after being repaired. It's possible that they were one-offs.

In case anyone else comes across this topic via a search and has the same problem, I did completely uninstall Adobe Version Cue CS3 after spotting it in the logs just before the time of the suspected crash. I don't use Version Cue; I just had it installed because it was part of the whole CS3 suite. I decided I might as well remove it and not have it clogging up the kernel. I can't say it was the culprit; I have no proof and the crashes could have been a complete coincidence. But if you're hunting down a similar unexplained rebooting or freezing problem you might like the heads up.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone.