PDA

View Full Version : How do I reinstall Mail?

muzzatron
26th January 2008, 09:43 AM
Hi all

I have been having very annoying problems Mail latley. I have tried to fix it but still can't see my emails unless I hit reply,reply all, or forward. Then I can read them

Does anyone know how I reinstall Mail? I am running Leopard.

Cheers

Joz
26th January 2008, 09:55 AM
Have you tried rebuilding your mailboxes?

In the Mailbox menu there's the option to rebuild. May help.

muzzatron
26th January 2008, 10:20 AM
Yes tried that and also tried removeing the MailAccounts.plist file too.

silverdreamer
26th January 2008, 10:23 AM
Hi all

I have been having very annoying problems Mail latley. I have tried to fix it but still can't see my emails unless I hit reply,reply all, or forward. Then I can read them

Does anyone know how I reinstall Mail? I am running Leopard.

Cheers

Two questions first. Do you have Applecare. do you run Time machine?

Joz
26th January 2008, 10:24 AM
Did you try removing com.apple.mail.plist? That would put mail back to it's default state.

muzzatron
26th January 2008, 10:58 AM
Yes applecare but Time machine is off.

silverdreamer
26th January 2008, 11:14 AM
Yes applecare but Time machine is off.

Damn
You are going to regret that, why do you not use it.

I suggest calling Applecre and talk to them.

I had a similar issue with iCal, (self inflicted). I solved the problem by restoring the entire system from time machine, back to how it was 24 hrs previously.

this restored my iCal to what it was, and it's now working fine, but as a result I lost all my mail messages. This was also fixed by restoring from time machine, all 7,000 odd emails.
was very simple really.

By reinstalling your Mail app, (Which is done from the Lepord install DVD) will probably result in the loss of your mail messages as well.

Applecare is the first option,(they are open now), see if they can fix the problem without reinstall.

Good luck.

Anyone else opting to Not use time machine, take note. It is the single best feature of Leopard IMHO.

ClockWork
26th January 2008, 12:56 PM
You can't reinstall Mail (or any OS X app, by booting off the Leopard installer) - contrary to Dreamer dreaming again.

This is not a wonderful solution, yet one can purchase an application, called: Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) - which certainly will allow you to reinstall single OS X Apps.

Tis unusual however that Joz's suggestion with deleting Mail's .plist files did not work. That'll usually do the trick.

Quit Mail:
Macintosh HD -> Users -> yourhome -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.mail.plist << delete and Trash.
Activate Mail.

Also, make sure your Software is up-to-date, by using Software Update.

You wouldn't be using an IMAP account by any chance?

silverdreamer
26th January 2008, 03:48 PM
You can't reinstall Mail (or any OS X app, by booting off the Leopard installer) - contrary to Dreamer dreaming again.

This is not a wonderful solution, yet one can purchase an application, called: Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) - which certainly will allow you to reinstall single OS X Apps.

Tis unusual however that Joz's suggestion with deleting Mail's .plist files did not work. That'll usually do the trick.

Quit Mail:
Macintosh HD -> Users -> yourhome -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.mail.plist << delete and Trash.
Activate Mail.

Also, make sure your Software is up-to-date, by using Software Update.

You wouldn't be using an IMAP account by any chance?

Excuse me Clockwork!

Don't tell me I am dreaming. I know what I am talking about, You can reinstall Mail from the leopard DVD! Just asI reinstalled iCal from the Leopard install DVD. (Double click on "OPTIONAL INSTALL PACKAGE", and select/deselect as the case may be, the Apps you wish to install.)

And the advice I gave muzzatron was spot on. Your suggestion simply introduces yet another third party application that is NOT NEEDED!

muzzatron. Do as I suggest and all will be well.

With all due respect, Clockworks a Drip!
:mad:

silverdreamer
27th January 2008, 06:00 PM
muzzatron, have you sorted out your Mail problem as yet?

muzzatron
15th February 2008, 02:11 PM
My mail problems were fixed hi this problem was fixed as soon as I removed the DivX component form my quicktime Libary.

I did not need to reinstall it.

silverdreamer
15th February 2008, 02:15 PM
My mail problems were fixed hi this problem was fixed as soon as I removed the DivX component form my quicktime Libary.

I did not need to reinstall it.

good to hear, but I don't know why that was affecting Mail. I am running the DivX add on without problems.