PDA

View Full Version : iphoto batch change to rename filename - problem

Pink Freud
26th January 2008, 07:42 AM
Hi, I just imported some photos into iphoto 08 for the first time. I wanted to change their file names and know it's dangerous to do that in the finder. Tried the batch change feature in iphoto to change the title to a text name with numbers to append. Unfortunately, when i click info, the filename is the same as before. ie. img_xxxx.jpg

Anyone know how you change the actual file name to something meaningful?

themessup
26th January 2008, 07:57 AM
hhhmmm i'm not sure but one thing is to remember not to change the file extension. I know your not stupid but there are some people out there that do it...

Pink Freud
26th January 2008, 08:03 AM
No intention of changing extension, just to give photos a meaningful sequential name:

Holiday to whereever 1.jpg
Holiday to whereever 2.jpg

Do the lack of reply's mean it is not possible or too obvious?

I know you can export photos and then report them, but all that seems ridiculously complicated. I would have thought batch change would cover it.

Gary Bridger
11th January 2009, 09:43 PM
Do the lack of reply's mean it is not possible or too obvious?

I know you can export photos and then report them, but all that seems ridiculously complicated. I would have thought batch change would cover it.

:mad: Wow I know this stress I have a set of 36 photos I want to re name and put in (c) Gary Bridger and have batch to re number 1-36. Can I get it to work. NO It names them all the same . but now no numbers. So No ID Does this mean I have to move them over to windows where I can do the job in seconds?

Salamander
11th January 2009, 11:22 PM
wow, this thread's a year old!

The batch change feature in iphoto can set a standard title to group of photos and add a sequential number - but remember this change is made to the 'title' as it will appear in iphoto and not to the file name. Once you import into iphoto you no longer need to care about the file name. - this is the way you are meant to work with iphoto.

Gary Bridger
11th January 2009, 11:38 PM
Well i did hope that Batch in I photo would have done the hole job, Yes! its ok to re name. in I photo, Unfortunately, when moving the photos, they keep there original numbers and title.

So HOW? I guess Mac has to save something for the future. But we already have the answers.

WHAT! So How?

Its simple if you have widows on your mack with Parallels.

Simply open up boot camp Click into a blank space on your mac desk top. Go to mac file at the top. Open a new folder. Name it if you wish. Then in your I photo 08 Click on the set of photos you want to re name . or select and high light, and drag them into that new folder.
Then drag that folder into windows.

open the folder, go to edit, click select all. if a waning pops up telling you about hidden folders. Click OK
The back to edit and click on RE NAME.
Now! here you re name the first file in the top left. EG Copy right what ever then (0)
Do not put anything els in brackets. as this will re name them all wrong.

You must put name EG photo day one (0)
click in the folder on a blank space out side a photo. and wait. In seconds all your photos in that folder are now named all the same , numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6..........
The if you wish drag the folder back to mack. ALL done.
:thumbup::) wish I could be paid for this. :rolleyes:

Whats a track back?

Salamander
11th January 2009, 11:50 PM
.... yes you could do that...
or you could give your photos sequential titles in iphoto using batch change, then if you really, really needed to access these photos outside of iphoto, simply export a group of them using the 'set file name to "title"' option.

NeoRicen
12th January 2009, 01:23 AM
Many Tricks Name Mangler (http://www.manytricks.com/namemangler/)

MarkW
12th January 2009, 10:16 AM

neville
30th January 2009, 01:22 PM
:mad: Wow I know this stress I have a set of 36 photos I want to re name and put in (c) Gary Bridger and have batch to re number 1-36. Can I get it to work. NO It names them all the same . but now no numbers. So No ID Does this mean I have to move them over to windows where I can do the job in seconds?

The title change feature in iPhoto (v7 anyway) is very limited, destroys the original title and can only add numbers at the end. I have an Applescript which is much more flexible if anyone wants it.

Apple's way of treating titles as different from Finder file names is logical, titles are often not unique. So the only way of achieving the original aim is to export the photos, batch rename in the Finder (or batch rename first in iPhoto and then export using titles) and re-import. But (again at least in v7) I believe you lose metadata such as comments and importantly dates (photos are re-imported with date of the re-import) Has this been fixed?
(I have a perl script which can export that data and import it again, but that's clumsy.)

Japester
30th January 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm fairly big into photography and my last trip had over 3,000 images over 15 days. I use " A Better Renamer" and Adobe Bridge to do this. Bridge is part of CS3 but thats a very expensive app just to rename some images....

You get Bridge with Photoshop Elements too, and that's a lot less expensive (I paid $160 late last year).

Japester
30th January 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi, I just imported some photos into iphoto 08 for the first time. I wanted to change their file names and know it's dangerous to do that in the finder. Tried the batch change feature in iphoto to change the title to a text name with numbers to append. Unfortunately, when i click info, the filename is the same as before. ie. img_xxxx.jpg

Anyone know how you change the actual file name to something meaningful?

I used to do this and shortly gave it up in iPhoto when I realised that you can name photos anything you like and the original filename is unchanged. I actually like this. Unless you play with the photos in the Finder or other apps, I don't see the point. It's actually good to leave the filenames as they are sequential from your camera.

It's a preference, but I learned, like with iTunes, the full power of iPhoto comes from using the interface and pretty much ignoring the files.