PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Mail to move to the next message on the list?

Pepper
26th January 2008, 07:38 AM
I am really glad there are no dumb questions in this forum, because if there were, this might be classified as such. Here goes:

When I am going through a list of email in my inbox and I delete one or move it to a folder, I want to automatically move to the next message down on the list. Mail automatically selects the message above on the list. This is maddening, as often I read a message and leave it in my inbox, but want to quickly go down the whole list. It turns a one-step process into a two-step process, and I can't find anywhere in preferences to change it.

Any ideas how to fix this?

iPirate
26th January 2008, 07:57 AM
Change how the messages are sorted?

AusMac
26th January 2008, 07:59 AM
dunno because I have no mail in it to attempt reversing the order of.. but I have a dumb question..
Mail takes up 45mb of space and it has not got a single mail in it.. will it wreck my computer if I trash it?

Um use the view menu > sort by?

Galumay
26th January 2008, 08:03 AM
i think i understand what you mean, and yes it seems the default is to go to the next, newest message. (if you are sorting by date). you can change the order from, newest to oldest or vice versa but it still goes to the next, newest one.

i could not see any way to change that either.

Optogamut
26th January 2008, 09:38 AM
sorry no solution, just wanted to add that I have always wished it would go the other way too...

AusMac
26th January 2008, 10:07 AM
Maybe hack it to do so?

silverdreamer
26th January 2008, 10:19 AM
dunno because I have no mail in it to attempt reversing the order of.. but I have a dumb question..
Mail takes up 45mb of space and it has not got a single mail in it.. will it wreck my computer if I trash it?

Um use the view menu > sort by?
Dumb question in reply.

Why the hell are you NOT using Apple mail?:confused:

"Strewth mate!"...... I've just noticed I have gone past 1,000 posts without realising.:p

krafty
26th January 2008, 10:41 AM
OP
that's an easy one, if you are selecting mail by date, click on the triangle in the dialogue box at the top of the column. up triangle or down triangle for where to go next.

Alex Morrow
26th January 2008, 11:14 AM
"Mail takes up 45mb of space and it has not got a single mail in it.. will it wreck my computer if I trash it?"

Have you emptied the Trash mailbox? I find this can build up to quite a considerable size without my noticing.

ClockWork
26th January 2008, 12:31 PM
As with Krafty's answer - yes, you can control which Mail next selects by clicking once on its Date Arrow:

http://www.clockworkoren.com.au/DateDown.jpg

If the arrow is pointing down, as shown here in the red circle, simply click once on this tiny arrow (or on the top of the entire Date heading itself) ...

http://www.clockworkoren.com.au/DateUp.jpg

and the Date arrow will switch to an Up position, thus rearranging the date order of your email, from "first in top" to "first in bottom".

Then, should you move or delete an email, it will automatically jump to the to next mail up.

Or do so in reverse, if you want it it happen the other way round.

You can also browse your emails by hitting the Up and Down arrow keys on your keyboard.

cw

Dumb question in reply.
Why the hell are you NOT using Apple mail?:confused:

Pepper is using Apple Mail.

"Strewth mate!"...... I've just noticed I have gone past 1,000 posts without realising.:p

hmmm - and not a lot to show for it bar a series of unhelpful and often unnecessarily sharp replies...

AusMac
26th January 2008, 01:34 PM
yes I was going to mention the triangle to reverse the order but since I have no mail in it.. there is no effect on clicking the triangle other than watching it reverse itself.

Um there is no mail there is nothing in Mail.app trash. There is nothing in mail trash anywhere on my computer .. What i was referring to is that the Mail.app itself is 45 mb doing nothing.

My reasons for not using Apple's mail application are that basically I am a lazy yob and was quite happy with the mail app I was using when before moving to OS X. It ported to OS X and worked fine so what was the need to set up another mail app?

by the way .. I don't get SPAM at all.. another reason for not changing the status quo. The mail settings I had and still have .. same as the instant messenger settings .. are all a decade or more untouched.. because I liked the way they worked then and still agree that changing will only stuff up all the work I did .. so long ago. Thus causing me to have to try again .. and some of these aspects are no longer available.. because they are my hacks .. and the developers have since changed many things., some good., some that i have no compunction in refusing as not the way i want to go.

If it is working why fix it?

ClockWork
26th January 2008, 01:46 PM
You could always copy the Mail.app to a Flash Drive - then Trash it - and see what happens to the general operation of the machine.

Back to my favourite stories of children doing naughty things on OS X, child of a customer trashed Safari, Sherlock, and the Address Book, and by the end of the week, the whole Mac was flying backwards! =P

AusMac
26th January 2008, 01:50 PM
Well I accidently dropped my Utilities folder in the trash and emptied it one night.. silly accidents can happen if one didn't go to sleep at the time one's body told one.

Luckily i got all of it reinstalled via Pacifist the next morning.

Thanks for the tip re flash drive (the wife has one with at least 100mb spare).. as my External is giving me the pips at the moment.. I'll start another thread on that issue..if I may