PDA

View Full Version : Awsome Program For MBP!

themessup
25th January 2008, 04:28 PM
Well ok I didn't mean to get your hopes up because I haven't tried this because I don't actually have a Mac. But I have heard people talk about how great this program is. Its called " SMC Fan Control"

Basicaly (spelling?), this app allows you to control the speed (rpm) of both your fans in your MacBook Pro. If it gets too hot, increase the fan speed, thus using more power but lowering your temperature. Read this story - http://www.michaelkratz.com/2006/10/14/macbook-pro-fan-speed-control/

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/page5/files/blank.gif

For more information and download click on this link - http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/page5/page5.html

Thanks and I hope you enjoy it. Again I am mentioning I have not tried this software.

Thomas :)

Rasta
25th January 2008, 04:31 PM
You're doing an excellent job and contributing to the community alot in your first few weeks (which is excellent)...

However, do a search before you post, you'd be amazed at how much information is on this forum.

I'm pretty sure fan controls is known about...

But please don't let my comments discourage you from posting...

(oh.. and hurry up and get a mac.. you'll love it!:thumbup:)

Meh 626
25th January 2008, 04:34 PM
Using Fan Control for Mac's can be fatal, setting the fan speed too low when running a high performance program can cause very high and intense heat and causing damage to your Mac. Use these programs wisely!

Meh 626 :)

themessup
25th January 2008, 04:37 PM
You're doing an excellent job and contributing to the community alot in your first few weeks (which is excellent)...

However, do a search before you post, you'd be amazed at how much information is on this forum.

I'm pretty sure fan controls is known about...

But please don't let my comments discourage you from posting...

(oh.. and hurry up and get a mac.. you'll love it!:thumbup:)

ha mate i'm only 13 and I am saving up as fast as I can with my only form of available income being recieved from my parents. I am doing my maximum work around the house, earning $120 a month. Plus b'day and xmas i'll have enough by next summer holidays. I know my MBP will taste extra sweet when I know I have earned it!

iSlayer
25th January 2008, 04:38 PM
Using Fan Control for Mac's can be fatal, setting the fan speed too low when running a high performance program can cause very high and intense heat and causing damage to your Mac. Use these programs wisely!

Sorry but thats not true. What smc fancontrol is doing is setting the minimum speed. The system will make them faster when it needs too so there is really no risk.

themessup
25th January 2008, 04:38 PM

yeah I guess it can be dangerous if you strech it to its limits!

EDIT after slayers post: OK lol

Meh 626
25th January 2008, 04:43 PM
ha mate i'm only 13 and I am saving up as fast as I can with my only form of available income being recieved from my parents. I am doing my maximum work around the house, earning $120 a month. Plus b'day and xmas i'll have enough by next summer holidays. I know my MBP will taste extra sweet when I know I have earned it!

You must have pretty high pay rates. You seem to be on the forum a lot. :D

Sorry but thats not true. What smc fancontrol is doing is setting the minimum speed. The system will make them faster when it needs too so there is really no risk.

Ok, I would still be cautious, but that's me!

dagaz
25th January 2008, 04:46 PM

With smcFanControl you can't set the minimum speed below Apple's minimum, but it allows you to raise the default fan speed above Apple's minimum to keep your MacBook (Pro) cooler and not need to ramp the fans up to a higher level as much.

thorevenge
25th January 2008, 04:47 PM
No, you can cause the fans to seize though if they are set to run constantly at lower temperatures.

For instance, having a min speed of 3500rpm (I've seen it) and thresholds of 40 and 70 means that the fans will run at 3500rpm at 40C and then will run at their fastest when temp reaches near 70C - meaning the fans are always on at max speed.

I just saw a case where Fan Control was installed, and the fans had seized up from overuse. They can be lubricated, but I'd rather not have to lube my fans every few months just cos they are being overused.

SMC is a smart utility that regulates the fans. Whilst its great that Apple make hooks for this kind of thing, some core components of the system shouldn't be touched.

themessup
25th January 2008, 04:47 PM
You must have pretty high pay rates. You seem to be on the forum a lot. :D

well washing two cars once a month, watering garden and blowing down drive way 4 times a month and some more! I know one thing: IT'S GONNA BE WORTH IT!

Rasta
25th January 2008, 04:49 PM
well washing two cars once a month, watering garden and blowing down drive way 4 times a month and some more! I know one thing: IT'S GONNA BE WORTH IT!

That's still good money... I used to get $5 a week for doing that and more! :)

Meh 626
25th January 2008, 04:50 PM

That's Great! Good Luck, only if next year could come sooner!!! :D

themessup
25th January 2008, 04:50 PM
That's still good money... I used to get $5 a week for doing that and more! :)

well times have changed haven't they? lol:D

themessup
25th January 2008, 04:51 PM
That's Great! Good Luck, only if next year could come sooner!!! :D
ha I wish! well i'm in year 8 now and yr 8 is really easy at my school so I hope it will fly past!

applecollector
25th January 2008, 05:00 PM
So how would one turn it off?

themessup
25th January 2008, 05:01 PM
So how would one turn it off?

turn what off because this thread has kinda changes topics!

scokim
25th January 2008, 05:09 PM

That's great. It's rare these days that kids work for their toys.

I've seen a 10 yrs old with PS3 and Wii, each with its own LCD.

themessup
25th January 2008, 05:10 PM
spoilt brats. I do have a PS3 but I only got my money through insurance. AN INSURANCE SCAM! Lol just kidding. no we got broken into and old crap of mine got spolen so I got good vouchers for stuff and my dad wanted it for the blu-ray so we bought it!

Meh 626
25th January 2008, 05:16 PM
That's great. It's rare these days that kids work for their toys.

I've seen a 10 yrs old with PS3 and Wii, each with its own LCD.

Yes, I basically work for all my toys! :D It's a great feel'n when you know you have earned it!

:)

LarryH
25th January 2008, 05:17 PM

Any G4 faster than 1Ghz is a great switcher machine. I got a 1.25Ghz PowerBook and I still love it.

If you are 13, you don't even need a MBP (unless you play WoW)

STK
25th January 2008, 05:34 PM
No, you can cause the fans to seize though if they are set to run constantly at lower temperatures.

For instance, having a min speed of 3500rpm (I've seen it) and thresholds of 40 and 70 means that the fans will run at 3500rpm at 40C and then will run at their fastest when temp reaches near 70C - meaning the fans are always on at max speed.

I just saw a case where Fan Control was installed, and the fans had seized up from overuse. They can be lubricated, but I'd rather not have to lube my fans every few months just cos they are being overused.

SMC is a smart utility that regulates the fans. Whilst its great that Apple make hooks for this kind of thing, some core components of the system shouldn't be touched.

I have been using smc for a year now and my fans default is 3200rpm. No problems here!

themessup
25th January 2008, 05:38 PM
Any G4 faster than 1Ghz is a great switcher machine. I got a 1.25Ghz PowerBook and I still love it.

If you are 13, you don't even need a MBP (unless you play WoW)

well my dad can get a good discout through his work and harvey norman so He just said "go for the best lol" but I don't need screamer stats on it!

kim jong il
25th January 2008, 08:20 PM
Tommy, hate to rain on your parade but retailer margins on Apple gear are so small that even a "good discount" is a pretty small discount. I'd be hoping, if I were you, that your dad will/can do a "salary sacrifice" purchase on your prospective Mac as that really will deliver some tangible savings. :)

themessup
25th January 2008, 08:29 PM
That is what my dad is doing. Salary sacrifice

timothy
25th January 2008, 08:36 PM
every day my salary is sacrificed for my kids.

themessup
25th January 2008, 08:39 PM
lol you sound like my dad!

hiredgoon
25th January 2008, 08:43 PM
if youre 13, then im gary glitter

themessup
26th January 2008, 10:08 AM
Gary glitter? Well back on topic, has anyone used this software yet?

dt
26th January 2008, 10:20 AM

Yes, I've used it since Oct 2007 and I have permanently pegged the fans in my MBP at 4000rpm minimum all the time to keep things nice and cool.

Thread here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=39145).

themessup
26th January 2008, 10:34 AM
Yes, I've used it since Oct 2007 and I have permanently pegged the fans in my MBP at 4000rpm minimum all the time to keep things nice and cool.

Thread here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=39145).

at that speed, how long is the battery life?

STK
26th January 2008, 10:40 AM

Yes well i think every mac laptop user (who is not a noob) has used a fan control app for their laptops...

Aaron
26th January 2008, 10:44 AM
One of the first apps I downloaded when my Macbook arrived.
smc is a fantastic app,
Cheers

Domenic
26th January 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro (or maybe just a macbook) but I was wondering, Why do I actually need to control the fan speeds? Doesn't the laptop do it automatically?

Oh, and also, Tommy94, I think you are doing a great job fitting in to the community! You always seem to be ready to help. Kudos to you!

themessup
26th January 2008, 11:11 AM
thankyou

themessup
26th January 2008, 11:24 AM
(Sorry about this post - acciedent)

Keving
26th January 2008, 05:14 PM
Yep, first thing I downloaded on my MBP, I think, one of the very first at least, have used it every day since.

It's sort of required when my MBP sits @ 54 degrees with the fans @ 4000rpm when I'm just browsing the net.. why oh why did i have to get a retard-o-paste mbp.