PDA

View Full Version : How to Configure Multiple Users to view Single Mail Account

IMat
24th January 2008, 10:50 PM
Hi there

I have been searching for a solution that I thought wouldve been common.

My wife and I share a single Bigpond mail account, but on the IMAC I have set us up with individual user accounts (and another for my 5 yo son - but he doesnt need the email).

Ideally I am trying to setup so that the inbox and subfolders are viewable by us both - as to any new email - that is regarless if new mail is received whilst I am logged on is viewable when my wife is logged in, and vice verca.

I was able to do this in Windows/Outlook by relocating my *.PST file to a share directory and configuring Outlook to this location in BOTH user accounts.

A similar OSx based suggestion was found at MACOSXHINTS:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030127063547953

which I tried but ended up with duplicated and 'phantom' emails, and subfolders were not replicated correctly.

Possibly my faux pax as jumping into editing *.plist files on my 3rd day of ownership was, well, relatively keen and putting alot of faith in the instructions! I rolled back by reversing all entries and am back to MAIL working successfully under one user account only.

I do NOT have a .MAC account - I am not sure I fully appreciate my usage of its features and consequently dont wish to pay the $120 or so a year at this stage.

Could anyone confirm the above link/solution should work or is there an actual APPLE accredited solution to my needs. Again I checked the support area and forums but did not come up with anything....

Many thanks in advance!

jamesatfish
24th January 2008, 10:57 PM
IMat,

I don't know if BigPond supports IMAP email, but if it does then all you need to do is configure Mail to access your BigPond email using an IMAP connection rather than POP.

POP basically works like your regular (snail mail) letterbox - somebody drops a letter in the box, then somebody comes along and takes it out. If you want the next person to be able to access the letter you'd need to photocopy it and give them a separate copy, and if they got the mail first then they'd need to make the copy and give it to you.

The shared .pst file under Windows is analogous to this photocopying.

An IMAP account basically keeps everything in the mailbox itself, with each computer only viewing the mail stored in the mail server but not actually removing it from the server. This means that the next person to come along and check the server will see the same messages.

Mail fully supports IMAP mailboxes in this situation, and it actually takes an offline copy of the message (whilst still leaving it on the server) so that you can still read the messages without being connected to the internet (and you can still backup the messages by backing up your Mail home directory).

I use IMAP in exactly this way - my MacBook Pro is always online checking my email, but sometimes I'll log onto a shared company desktop machine where my email is downloaded yet again. The minute I make a change on one computer (ie reply to an email, or delete some junk mail) it is reflected on the other computer.

IMat
25th January 2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the quick response! So Apple dont support POP across multiple users?

That is a big part of my issue then - as Bigpond only seem to support POP type setups.

It may be time to make a change - but reluctant to change addresses/domains as been using this address for many years

Any suggestions on IMAP providers?

Johnny Appleseed
25th January 2008, 12:27 AM
Alternately, under Mail preferences, you could set the accounts to only remove messages from the server after several days, giving both accounts a chance to download them.

It's funny, the main reason my partner and I have separate OS X user accounts is for e-mail purposes. If we were sharing the same e-mail account we probably would just have the one OS X account.

IMat
29th January 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks - yes that would 1/2 work - but then we would each be maintaining an individual set of folders (vs share the same).

For my work find it easier to have individual user accounts as my wife is a basic user and has once previously inadvertently deleted some key files I'd been working on. Yes I forgave her :p

And there are one or two files lets say I would like to keep priveate :D

As for email, photos, itunes etc we happy live in wedded matrimony sharing what is mine is hers philosophy :rolleyes:

So seems I am stuck though without as clean/easy a solution as my almost forgotten ally, Microsoft ....

adamd
29th January 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the quick response! So Apple dont support POP across multiple users?

That is a big part of my issue then - as Bigpond only seem to support POP type setups.

It may be time to make a change - but reluctant to change addresses/domains as been using this address for many years

Any suggestions on IMAP providers?

GMail works schweet :)

we've just hit 6.47Gb of free storage... and counting ;)

timothy
29th January 2008, 10:53 PM
i have bigpond email, it is crap.

try gmail, it's a great excuse to contact everyone and let them know your new email address!

by the way dotmac is worth every cent...

Johnny Appleseed
29th January 2008, 11:21 PM
You could try putting an alias of your Mail folder in her Library folder - not even sure if it'd work, plus only one of you would be able to have Mail open at any one time.

IMat
30th January 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys...yes have been looking at gmail, but J.Appleseed I may try the 'Alias' option - as we should manage only having one user opening Mail at a time.

Is there any special process on how to do this???

Timothy - why are you still on Bigpond Mail then :confused:(which agreed is crap, just been overly complacent on my part to have made a change till now).

What do you use .mac for if not email ..I'm only a One Mac family (thus far) so many of the synch and 'back to mac' options are wasted for me. I'm not convinced I need to pay another $120 per year just to have a *.mac email account???

Again thanks to all for feedback, it is appreciated!

Johnny Appleseed
30th January 2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys...yes have been looking at gmail, but J.Appleseed I may try the 'Alias' option - as we should manage only having one user opening Mail at a time.

Is there any special process on how to do this???

Go into the Library folder of the user whose account currently has Mail set up, find the Mail folder and control/right-click and select "Make Alias".

Drag said alias to the Library folder of the other user, and rename it "Mail" (rather than "Mail alias").

It works for iPhoto (and possibly iTunes) libraries. Hopefully it'll work for Mail.