PDA

View Full Version : Am I Making The Right Decision? PC to Mac

themessup
23rd January 2008, 04:14 PM
I have been a PC user for the last 13 years. I am very creative on computers and thats where Mac comes in. There are other reasons for why I want one though. I just want to make sure i'm making the right decision...give me reasons to get one fellow Mac owners.

(I wrote all this on my PSP)

Disko
23rd January 2008, 04:16 PM
NO! Don't get one! You're wasting your money! It's all a scam to sell iPods!

themessup
23rd January 2008, 04:19 PM
what!?

STK
23rd January 2008, 04:22 PM
Ya buy one. Thats Disko on a normal day.

What do you use your PC for?

themessup
23rd January 2008, 04:24 PM
internet, mail. but i want to make website and movies ect. on a pc its hard enough to find the software!

STK
23rd January 2008, 04:26 PM
Ah then you really need a mac!. iLife is so simple and useful for all your needs.

And you can't go wrong with safari 3 for speed.

Brains
23rd January 2008, 04:28 PM
Simply put:

"Whoever says you can't have it all ... doesn't use Macintosh."

With a Mac, you get the security and ease of use of Mac OS X. But you're not limited to Mac OS X; with the machine comes Boot Camp, so you can turn your lovely new Mac into a dual-boot Windows XP or Vista machine. Or you can invest a few measly dollars in a copy of Parallels and run XP and OS X together at the same time. You can even shoehorn just about any linux variant onto it as well, if you're that desperate.

If you're a creative type, or want something that's colour-accurate, look at the new iMac 24" (24 inches of 24-bit LCD gloriousness) -- avoid the smaller iMacs as they use inferior laptop-style 18-bit display panels. If you're thinking laptop, hang onto one of your existing CRTs and use it as a secondary display for your colour-accurate work.

themessup
23rd January 2008, 04:32 PM
awsome. im gonna like iWork too.

I'm not interested in a desktop even though they are fatastic. I want a MB that I can take with me. Most likey a MBP because my dad can get em cheap through his work and Harvey norman

iPirate
23rd January 2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I've made really great presentations in Keynote, iWork is the best.

Kuma
23rd January 2008, 05:32 PM
internet, mail. but i want to make website and movies ect. on a pc its hard enough to find the software!

nuff said....

bennettnz
23rd January 2008, 05:38 PM
I almost want to see the joy when you start getting into your mac... it's priceless. Best IT decision you will have made for a long time. Go for it.

Interesting idea for a poll.... does anyone regret buying a mac?

cosmichobo
23rd January 2008, 05:46 PM
If you are worried, my suggestion would be - before investing $$$$, find $$$ and buy a 2nd hand iMac.

There isn't THAT much difference between OS 10.4 and 10.5 that will win/lose Mac to you. That way you only pay out maybe $400 to put your foot in the water... if it doesn't go well, then you sell the iMac on eBay for probably 95% of what you paid for it...

If you love it, as we all imagine you will... then you can walk into your local Apple reseller with your wallet and go crazy :)

Rasta
23rd January 2008, 05:53 PM
No only is it the right decision to buy a mac, but it's also not the wrong decision to buy one.

Buy one and reflect on how you could have made your life so much easier for the last 13 years if you realised how friendly macs are back then.. :)

themessup
23rd January 2008, 06:04 PM
thanks. I've worked out a stragedy with my parents that requires alot of work around the house. Its full of car washing, garden watering, cleaning ect. I get $120 a month. I'll have enough by the end of the year. Plus B'day and xmas. I can't wait to get a MBP if Apple doesn't release anything closer. I love this idea because I know I have earned my first Mac and I will enjoy it because I WORKED FOR IT!!!!!!

NORMANDY
23rd January 2008, 06:08 PM
I have been a PC user for the last 13 years. I am very creative on computers and thats where Mac comes in. There are other reasons for why I want one though. I just want to make sure i'm making the right decision...give me reasons to get one fellow Mac owners.

Douglas Adams says it the best. A Mac user will tell you what computer they use. A Pc user will be embarrass so dont ask them :)

silverdreamer
23rd January 2008, 06:22 PM
thanks. I've worked out a stragedy with my parents that requires alot of work around the house. Its full of car washing, garden watering, cleaning ect. I get $120 a month. I'll have enough by the end of the year. Plus B'day and xmas. I can't wait to get a MBP if Apple doesn't release anything closer. I love this idea because I know I have earned my first Mac and I will enjoy it because I WORKED FOR IT!!!!!!

We all agree that buying a Mac is the best decision you could make, but if you dont mind me asking, How old are you?..... and how long have you been using a computer?

From the above it would appear your still a student living at home. (Not that there is anything wrong with that!:p) You must have been an early starter, fisher price activity center a tad boring was it?:D

themessup
23rd January 2008, 06:50 PM
Sorry about this post before. Yes i am in year 8 and I am a student

mechcon
23rd January 2008, 06:57 PM
tommy, as a pc-only user for 10 years, and switching to macs almost 3 years ago, I do not regret it one bit! Sure there's problems on them both, but which one tends to be easier to isolate/solve? both, and neither :P

cosmichobo
23rd January 2008, 07:04 PM
I love this idea because I know I have earned my first Mac and I will enjoy it because I WORKED FOR IT!!!!!!

Very well said! And great to see someone who thinks that way. I was given my first computer (Mac Classic, $2000, 1992), but then upgraded the next year using my own hard earned cash, and the money I made from selling the Classic. I loved my LCIII so much the more for it too.

Do you have Macs at school? Or a friend/s with one?

You could pick up an original iMac for $50... Despite being 10 years old, they can run up to Mac OS 10.3.9 - a very solid version of OS X.

Just to tide you over, if you really need to escape from Windows...

themessup
23rd January 2008, 07:08 PM
no all my friends are PC guys. My friend hayden likes apple for the look but he's a total noob when it comes to the inside

MrJesseRoss
23rd January 2008, 07:10 PM
It may seem like a daunting amount of cash to part with for a new Mac, but it's all worth it.

I paid something close to $2,100 for my iMac back in December '05, after only a few months of employment in my first job. It was the first major purchase, and definitely one of the best decisions, I'd ever made.

silverdreamer
24th January 2008, 01:44 PM

Nothing to be sorry about Dude, welcome to the world of Mac. hope you get your own soon.:)

stewiesno1
24th January 2008, 02:02 PM
And because you are a young feller starting out in the world of Mac , if you did buy a G3 iMac to start with , I bet if you asked here you would get Ram and other parts given to you to upgrade it too.

Stewie

Kelso
26th January 2008, 08:05 PM
Well, i'm a pc user for about 10 years, i've just bought a mac because i was sick of reinstalling and error's, i'm using him now for about 3 months..and i think it's the best thing i've ever bought! it's just great, it amazes me every day! =D

Johnny Appleseed
26th January 2008, 08:15 PM

Sounds like you're implying that because they're hard to find on the PC, they'll be even harder to find on the Mac. Nothing could be further from the truth! Not only do Macs do all that stuff out of the box, but they do it way better than PCs.

Most likey a MBP because my dad can get em cheap through his work and Harvey norman

Sorry, but Hardly Normal don't sell Macs.

silverdreamer
26th January 2008, 08:20 PM
Sounds like you're implying that because they're hard to find on the PC, they'll be even harder to find on the Mac. Nothing could be further from the truth! Not only do Macs do all that stuff out of the box, but they do it way better than PCs.

Sorry, but Hardly Normal don't sell Macs.

But they do sell iPods, and they may well have a purchase plan with Apple to provide their staff with Apple products at a discount. they are a big company, with lots of staff. Not an impossible scenario.

Perhaps Tommy94 could expand on his comment?

Then again, you could be right, and he could be wrong!

Either way, he's up for a student discount for a start. :cool:

AnthoMac
26th January 2008, 08:42 PM
Student discount plus $200 off an iPod Nano!

What a great start to the year I reckon. And be sure to check out this guide (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=40307&highlight=mac+uni) written by decryption, here on the site!

Lilith
26th January 2008, 08:47 PM
For serious / creative stuff a Mac is a no brainer. Factor in the value in equivalent software on the PC side and the cost of maintaining your OS over several years.

Accept that any graphic card will not be top range and that the component quality is much the same as any computer. Factor in street cred for owning a Mac, especially a MBP if you'll be out and about.

But the creative software on a Mac - the free iLife - is a no brainer.

If you are a bit technical with creativity then just watch out for dpi differences as well as gamma differences between the two camps. If you don't care what I mean then all the better - go for it NOW!

themessup
26th January 2008, 09:00 PM
sorry guys i'm here. What would you like me to tell you?

silverdreamer
26th January 2008, 09:10 PM
sorry guys i'm here. What would you like me to tell you?

How do you get a discount through Dads work, hardly normal?

themessup
26th January 2008, 09:16 PM
Salary sacrifice

timothy
26th January 2008, 10:20 PM
get a dell

edit: just joking around

Lilith
27th January 2008, 08:24 AM

Good on you. I make my kids work for their extras too. Guess it is a kind of tradition in western countries, I don't know.

I'll add a little to my previous post. I have always had Quicktime Pro. Yep, I use the pro aps so I get it for free/bundled.

But, an added advantage of just purchasing it outright (very easy via the Quicktime Application - you get a password key to unlock hidden software) is you get extra capability with Quicktime and iMovie - two key areas you might be interested in.

QT: You get to save downloaded trailers. Imagine D/L a trailer in hi def, saving it to the computer and showing your mates in full srceen / full resolution. None of this pixelated compressed rubbish you get off bittorrent.

iMovie: Extra options when it comes to saving in various formats. Great if doing a movie project and you need to save in a variety of formats for playback in different situations.

Tip: Get dad to put up the extra readies for this at the time of purchase, rather than hitting him for it later.

themessup
27th January 2008, 09:16 AM
awsome mate. I will. but by the time I get my macbook pro there will proberly be new versions of everything. quicktime pro pro!

Andrew T Chadwick
27th January 2008, 09:29 AM
I switched from pc's to macs a few years ago and all my macs were second hand including my four year old 20" imac and my eight year old ibook and i have never looked back.Second hand macs are a good place to start and will serve you well for a surprisingly long time.:)

kim jong il
27th January 2008, 09:29 AM
Either way, he's up for a student discount for a start. :cool:
No he isn't. Secondary students (K-12) don't qualify (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/Australia/Images/routingpage.html) for an education discount anymore. Apple knocked that on the head a while back.

Johnny Appleseed
27th January 2008, 09:54 AM
Just make sure you wait for the new MBP's with the Multi-Touch trackpads!

themessup
27th January 2008, 10:49 AM
when are they coming out? I thought they have them now:

http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/images/design_scrollanim20071026.gif

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html

or is that just scrolling. Are you talking about the track pad on macbook air?

jrad
27th January 2008, 11:08 AM
As suggested before I strongly recommend you have a look around for a second hand mac first. You'll be surprised just how much you can still do on them. I got my iBook (see my sig) for $500 and tech was nice enough to upgrade the hdd from 40 to 80 and ram from 384 to 768. Yeah, I understand you consider yourself a power user. So do I. My iBook G4 handles Leopard fine, Photoshop CS3 runs great and I've edited films on it too using Final Cut Studio! (Footage from telecine off 35mm film!) People honestly don't believe me when I say the G4's are still tanks until I show it off to them. They can handle a lot more than what they are given credit for.

Sure you can't install windows, have the new multi-touch touchpads on them, but being so young you'll find it beneficial to make sacrifices like that. Plus if you don't look after it or it gets stolen at school (consider Undercover for that...) you've only lost $500 of a laptop, not $2800+

Check eBay for a cheap deal.

themessup
27th January 2008, 12:00 PM
thanks for the offer but i'm in a situation with money and stuff so I know what i'm doing and its all good and fine but thanks anyway.

halledise
27th January 2008, 12:05 PM

Yes - right decision

Reasons - sanity (yours), elegance (OSX), ease of use and responsiveness, admiring looks from PC friends.

there are 1000 more, but that'll do for starters

Johnny Appleseed
27th January 2008, 12:34 PM
or is that just scrolling. Are you talking about the track pad on macbook air?

Yeah, the current MBP trackpads are just scrolling. The MBA will be the first with a true Multi-Touch trackpad (flipping, pinching and zooming etc), and the next revision of MBP and MB should get it also. The MBP is overdue for an update so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

It raises the question, will they sell Multi-Touch trackpads for desktop Macs too?

themessup
27th January 2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, the current MBP trackpads are just scrolling. The MBA will be the first with a true Multi-Touch trackpad (flipping, pinching and zooming etc), and the next revision of MBP and MB should get it also. The MBP is overdue for an update so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

It raises the question, will they sell Multi-Touch trackpads for desktop Macs too?

awsome. Thats mad how you can just stretch out your fingers to zoom

Brains
27th January 2008, 02:01 PM
That still won't be enough to make me abandon my no-Intel rule. Give me a tablet Mac, like an iTouch the size of a MacBook Pro.

I don't want to zoom on some surrogate pointing-device, I want my fingers on the screen!

Johnny Appleseed
27th January 2008, 02:25 PM
I don't want to zoom on some surrogate pointing-device, I want my fingers on the screen!

Well, you're already using a "remote" pointing device whether you have a mouse or a trackpad, so it's just an evolution of that.

As for your no-Intel rule, you're doing yourself a great disservice on the basis of some ideological beef. But if you're still on OS 9 I guess it won't affect you that much.

silverdreamer
27th January 2008, 04:53 PM
That still won't be enough to make me abandon my no-Intel rule. Give me a tablet Mac, like an iTouch the size of a MacBook Pro.

Okay, I'll bite. What's with the, no-intel rule?:rolleyes:

Andrew T Chadwick
27th January 2008, 05:26 PM
Okay, I'll bite. What's with the, no-intel rule?:rolleyes:I have a strict "no intel rule",i can't afford intel .:D

themessup
17th February 2008, 05:47 PM
will the new mbp (rumoured for tuesday) have the multi task touch pad thingy? lol i dont know what it is

STK
17th February 2008, 06:02 PM
will the new mbp (rumoured for tuesday) have the multi task touch pad thingy? lol i dont know what it is

link to rumor?

jrad
17th February 2008, 06:11 PM

Yeah, they say that every tuesday... EVERY tuesday.

dev_enter
17th February 2008, 06:29 PM
I think the rumour is basically http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

tommy94: FYI, Apple never pre-announce any upcoming features. Anything you hear is just rumour. Dates are also just speculation, usually based off "The last update was xx/yy/zz and the average time between updates is blah days".

Kuma
17th February 2008, 11:53 PM
I think the rumour is basically http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

tommy94: FYI, Apple never pre-announce any upcoming features. Anything you hear is just rumour. Dates are also just speculation, usually based off "The last update was xx/yy/zz and the average time between updates is blah days".

and that is about as scientific as it gets.:D

sighclops
18th February 2008, 03:01 AM
i was a pc user for over 10 years, made the switch and haven't looked back :)

i've got a few of my friends onto macs too :D

The Fluffy Duck
18th February 2008, 07:19 AM
I am an artist I make PsP games at work on a mac :) when all said and done you have bootcamp if you hare osx which I highly doubt you will. a max is a very safe option

tanguero
18th February 2008, 08:11 AM
I'm a sculptor/Designer.
I run 3D apps, edit HD video and mess about with MIDI.
Once made my own flip-books.
I also run very complex spreadsheets on office (numbers doesn't do macros yet) to project production, cash-flow and wastage in the manufacturing part of my company.
I even use this inter-web thingy.

All done on the last 15" powerbook apple released.
I have a griffin icurve stand and a wireless aluminium keyboard on my office desk.
With airport I don't even need to plug in (wireless mighty mouse).

Never had a problem (except with power bricks), always managed to walk in and plug-and-play when using a client's equipment for a presentation.
I have never had a virus of any sort and don't know any mac users who have.
I wonder if anyone here has any direct experience with viruses on macs?

I will upgrade to a MBP when I can afford to upgrade Lightwave, Photoshop etc.. as well.

Wally
18th February 2008, 08:17 AM
I guess you are using custom firmware on that PSP :)

Anyway, getting a Mac was the best thing I had ever done. Was getting sick of troubleshooting the PC for my parents etc. Next thing I know Im not troubleshooting anything at all, well maybe once a year for an hour :)

Oh and we can use limewire without getting into any trouble :)

bleach1st
22nd February 2008, 07:01 PM
i say get one... i just got one in september and I'm loving it :D
I'd been using Windows since 1995 and felt that i needed to change and got a MacBook Pro and really love it...
Although they're really expensive and all the accessories are also really expensive which suchs but i guess thats how it is... :/

Keving
22nd February 2008, 07:03 PM
I am an artist I make PsP games at work on a mac :) when all said and done you have bootcamp if you hare osx which I highly doubt you will. a max is a very safe option

Not to tear this thread off-topic, but i didn't know they made game developer tools on Mac, i thought the majority were for windows?

themessup
22nd February 2008, 07:06 PM
yes, same here...

moo
22nd February 2008, 07:26 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/corourke/advocacy/

Lachie
22nd February 2008, 08:15 PM
all you switchers make me think that i take my macs for granted, which i think i do.
i was brought up on macs :) i remember the day mum came home with a black and white mac classic i think it was, that she borrowed from a mac teachers demonstration way back long ago. good ol carmon sandiago got me through the dark days of prep ;)

EDIT: dad rekons our first mac was a 512